GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 05-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
kgdf21

Drives: 2007 GTI
2010 GTI value question

Hey all,

So I'm currently driving a 2007 GTI with high mileage on it and I'm looking to upgrade to a MK6. The one I'm looking at is $10 000 CAD ($7281 USD) on the east coast of Canada. It is a 2010 with 138k km (86k miles) and is a 2 door white in excellent shape. It has the following upgrades:

Cobb accessport with stratified tune
Stage 2 clutch
Milltek downpipe
AFE catback exhaust
CTS turbo intake
H&R lowering springs
Newer R8 coil packs and ngk plugs
GFB diverter valve
Newly updated tensioner

My question is does anyone have an opinion on what the car is worth? I know within the next 1-1.5 years I will probably have to get a carbon cleaning done on the valves and likely a timing chain kit. I've read I can check timing chain stretch with VCDS or OBDEleven, but I only own a Bluedriver scanner so I wouldn't be able to check it when I test drive the car. Therefore I figure I should assume to put a timing chain/guides in at around 100k miles. I drive around 9-10 miles a year and I'd like to get 3-4 years out of the car. Any thoughts are welcome!

Cheers
kgdf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
CowTownRacer
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI (6 spd)
Seems like a decent price. With those mods I'd be worried about how the prior own drove the car.
CowTownRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:22 PM   #3
Boscogn
FIA GT Champion

Drives: CSG 2013 GTI DSG 4DR
U list that it already got the tensioner upgrade. I don't see why chain would have slipped since. As for value not sure. I have my 13 mk6 with 110k miles and I would never sell it at its current value I thinks it's worth way more lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
fradd
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: GTI MK6
I bought a 2012 GTI with 110k miles for $8250 (USD). Still supposedly $1-2k undervalue based on other posts and I saw and KBB. I would've snatched up the one you're looking at over mine though.
fradd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #5
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscogn View Post
U list that it already got the tensioner upgrade. I don't see why chain would have slipped since. As for value not sure. I have my 13 mk6 with 110k miles and I would never sell it at its current value I thinks it's worth way more lol.

A chain can still slip even with a new tensioner. The chains wears and lengthens over time. Its been redesigned a few times. I did tensioner only at first and had to go back and redo everything due to chain stretch and startup rattle.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:39 PM   #6
Boscogn
FIA GT Champion

Drives: CSG 2013 GTI DSG 4DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
A chain can still slip even with a new tensioner. The chains wears and lengthens over time. Its been redesigned a few times. I did tensioner only at first and had to go back and redo everything due to chain stretch and startup rattle.
Good to know ty.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:30 AM   #7
RND1
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 1998 BMW M3
As a point of comparison, we're looking at a 2013 GTI 6 speed Wolfsburg w 83k miles. It has Cobb stage 1 w cold air intake, Southbend stage 2 clutch, R8 coils, GFB BOV, and spare set of winter wheels with Blizzaks. Price is $13k.

We've been looking the past couple of months and the 4 door, 6 speed 2013+ are tough to find. I thought we would be able to get into one for about $11,5k, but no luck so far. The 2 doors, or DSG's seem to be less $$ around here. Not knowing your local market, that price seems cheap for the mileage.
RND1 is offline   Reply With Quote