GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 06-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #1
Sgonzalez90
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: GTI
[Help] Replaced spark plugs and coils. White smoke came from exhaust

I had the coil 1 misfire fault code, and I replaced the spark plugs and coils accordingly. Drove the car around for a couple miles. Went to pickup oil to top it off. Drove half a block and oil started blowing out the exhaust. White smoke. Had to have the car towed. Got the wrench symbol, but only an unknown fault code! I'm being told that it maybe due to the PCV valve. The car is a 2013 GTI, at about 152k miles. I know the PCV valves are a common failure component and it has never been replaced. Could this be the issue? Should I DIY?

Just want my car back on the road!
Help :/
Sgonzalez90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #2
Boscogn
FIA GT Champion

Drives: CSG 2013 GTI DSG 4DR
White smoke is water burning not oil. Else it would've been blue smoke. Hard to imagine all that happening from just changing oil, plugs and coils.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #3
Sgonzalez90
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscogn View Post
White smoke is water burning not oil. Else it would've been blue smoke. Hard to imagine all that happening from just changing oil, plugs and coils.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Also I checked my coolant levels and they were fine. Did not smell sweet. More so a burnt, harsh smell.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:07 PM   #4
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
This happened to me a few months ago. I had a single misfire code with tons of white smoke out of the exhaust with strong fuel odor and very rough running engine. Tried swapping plug and coil first. Didnt work, looked inside and saw cylinder and spark plug were wet with fuel. Injector had failed and stuck open. Had to remove intake manifold and put in a new injector. Check to see what your plug tip looks like and if you can see any fuel on it or inside the cylinder.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:10 PM   #5
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Champion

I think the white/blue/black smoke thing is kind of subjective and maybe depends on what the lighting is like when you see the smoke. My issue was def a thick white smoke which turned out to be fuel dumping into the cylinder.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:09 PM   #6
SELA_MK6GTI
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives:
[Help] Replaced spark plugs and coils. White smoke came from exhaust

Are you dsg? When I had the wrench symbol pop up it was because of my dsg transmission. You arenít leaking any oil from the rear main seal or anything right? Hopefully itís not that but thatís just from my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SELA_MK6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:18 PM   #7
Sgonzalez90
Passed Driver's Ed

Here is a photo
Old 06-04-2019, 11:19 PM   #8
Sgonzalez90
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELA_MK6GTI View Post
Are you dsg? When I had the wrench symbol pop up it was because of my dsg transmission. You arenít leaking any oil from the rear main seal or anything right? Hopefully itís not that but thatís just from my experience

Yes DSG. How do I verify if there is a leak here? I haven't found any leaks tbh.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:21 PM   #9
SELA_MK6GTI
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgonzalez90 View Post
Yes DSG. How do I verify if there is a leak here? I haven't found any leaks tbh.

Mine was leaking from the rear main seal thatís how I saw mine, very small leak that drained the dsg fluid through time. But I donít think that would be the cause of the smoke issue. Hopefully itís like other guys said about the injector being open

Old 06-04-2019, 11:24 PM   #10
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELA_MK6GTI View Post
Mine was leaking from the rear main seal thatís how I saw mine, very small leak that drained the dsg fluid through time. But I donít think that would be the cause of the smoke issue. Hopefully itís like other guys said about the injector being open

Wait, a rear main seal keeps motor oil in the engine. The DSG fluid is encased in the transmission housing and the clutch packs are a sealed unit, there's no oil between them.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:53 AM   #11
SELA_MK6GTI
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
Wait, a rear main seal keeps motor oil in the engine. The DSG fluid is encased in the transmission housing and the clutch packs are a sealed unit, there's no oil between them.

Gotcha, thatís just what I was told. I probably didnít remember the exact words correctly my mistake

Old 06-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #12
Sgonzalez90
Passed Driver's Ed

Hey guys any ideas on what I should do?
Old 06-06-2019, 09:23 AM   #13
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Champion

Whats the code?
Old 06-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #14
NoNameBoy
Drag Race Newbie

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
This happened to me a few months ago. I had a single misfire code with tons of white smoke out of the exhaust with strong fuel odor and very rough running engine. Tried swapping plug and coil first. Didnt work, looked inside and saw cylinder and spark plug were wet with fuel. Injector had failed and stuck open. Had to remove intake manifold and put in a new injector. Check to see what your plug tip looks like and if you can see any fuel on it or inside the cylinder.

That also happened to my GTI with same exact problem almost 2 years ago. Dealer replaced everything and a few weeks later check engine light came up again due to a bad cat. Dealer replaced too under the warranty

NoNameBoy is offline   Reply With Quote