GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
jedred1
Oval Newbie

Drives: VW GTI 2012 DSG
Whats on your non "V" banded downpipe?

I have an APR cated downpipe to stock catback currently. I am wanting to make it a full 3" turboback for some extra power for Christmas. I know the easiest thing to do would be to get the APR catback set up but personally I don't like the sound of it. I am looking at catback set ups from Unitronic, Eurojet, or CTS Turbo. How can I stay at an unimpeded 3" and use a "V" banded system? I believe the CTS Turbo catback would just require a 3" to 3" slip fit clamp (and maybe some cutting). So I ask, what have you guys put on your APR downpipes as a catback, and how did you do it?
APR Stage II / Modshack Intake / APR Downpipe / Michelin Pilot Super Sport / deAutoKey LED inside / PartsforEuro clear side markers with Silver "amber" bulbs / Garage door button from CarStyle4you / some super cool VagCom stuff / Depo LED tails (coded) / SPM F & R ASB's (F Stiff & R Stiff) / DG Springs / CTS Turbo Catback / Neuspeed Rse07 black
jedred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
ncsugray90
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 2 door 6MT
I dont have an APR downpipe, but mine is a 3" pipe and it originally had a 3" to 2.5" slip fitting.

If you are having a shop install the CBE then you could just have them weld it in seamlessly. I would think some form of slip fitting would be ideal for uninterrupted flow if you weren't going to weld it though.

Last edited by ncsugray90; 12-07-2014 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling
ncsugray90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
MKVI_noizsky
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI - CSG
Send a message via MSN to MKVI_noizsky
I have Milltek 2.75" mate with APR DP.
MKVI_noizsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
ncsugray90
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 2 door 6MT
Another option is to have a shop fab up a cbe and then you don't have to worry about it. That's what I did and it was cheaper than buying one and sounds pretty great. Some drone around 2k when cold, but after about 5 minutes of driving there is no drone at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
Cadubya
DUBYA

Drives: 2011 K04 GTI 4DR 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKVI_noizsky View Post
I have Milltek 2.75" mate with APR DP.

Me too!
Old 12-07-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: '09 Jetta
i bought vband clamps and coverted my apr catback to vband. the slip fit connections kept slipping (ha) and the exhaust would contact my control arm, causing a rattle. i converted it to vband and clamped it down in the right position and it never moved. any exhaust shop should be able to weld these on.

http://www.amazon.com/Clamp-Flange-T.../dp/B005GS5IJY
If you already have an intake, might as well just go big turbo while you're in the engine bay. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erball View Post
It's only then when I realize, in a moment of clarity, I should have bought Honda.
kern417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
U-20T
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: BT GTI4Motion
Uni does have a slip fit adapter for their cat backs, not sure if it will work on you application though

http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/sto...d-adapter.html

Last edited by U-20T; 12-08-2014 at 09:34 AM.
U-20T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
jedred1
Oval Newbie

Drives: VW GTI 2012 DSG
I thinking I'm going with the CTS Turbo catback so don't need to worry about the V band part of the connection. Thank you all for your responses. So now I'm thinking Torca
3" abutting joint clamp. Like this;

http://www.ottawaproducts.com/produc...%20coupler.htm

but in 3". If I have any troubles I'll get it welded. I just worry about the shops ability to weld well.
APR Stage II / Modshack Intake / APR Downpipe / Michelin Pilot Super Sport / deAutoKey LED inside / PartsforEuro clear side markers with Silver "amber" bulbs / Garage door button from CarStyle4you / some super cool VagCom stuff / Depo LED tails (coded) / SPM F & R ASB's (F Stiff & R Stiff) / DG Springs / CTS Turbo Catback / Neuspeed Rse07 black
jedred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
visceralsoup
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 VW GTI (sold), 2012 Golf Arrrr
I did the Ultimate Racing DP and left my stock catback with the suitcase deleted. Never drones, power feels great, and I get complements all the time on the sound. Plus I read somewhere that the difference in a 3 in cb and 2.5 in is negligible

Turbo Ranger Build
visceralsoup is offline   Reply With Quote