GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2018, 02:30 AM   #1
gti2015
Autocross Newbie
 
Drives: gti
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: usa
Posts: 81
Carbon cleaning & cylinder 4 random misfire code - advice?

My car is a stock 2011 GTI with 75,000 miles.

Just wondering when you all have had carbon cleaning done and how much your shop charges? My mechanic suggested it and said it would be about $900.

Also - I have a cylinder 4 intermittent misfire code that my mechanic discovered. The check engine light isn't on and he said that as long as it still passes emissions and my check engine light is not on, then it isn't anything to worry about. He said it may be the injectors but wouldn't know until they were taken out and checked/cleaned if needed.

Thanks for any advice!
gti2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:40 AM   #2
ithrashmotors
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
ithrashmotors's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk6 gti
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: San jose
Posts: 441
Just had the girlfriends carbon cleaning on her gli at 70k and it was much needed. Also had the cylinder 4 misfire and really rough idle on cold start along with CEL flashing randomly due to misfires. Get it cleaned at this point as it will only get worse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
APR stage 1//Carbonio intake//R8 coilpacks//GFB DV+
ithrashmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #3
gti2015
Autocross Newbie
 
Drives: gti
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: usa
Posts: 81
Thanks for the help. Is $900 a fair price for a carbon cleaning?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gti2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
pamatt
Go Kart Champion
 
Drives: Mk6 2012
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nj
Posts: 41
Hell no. It should be no more than 300-600.
__________________
Vf mounts, Sb stage3 daily, Peloquin diff, I.E. intake manifold, St coilovers, Milltek cb, APR-intake, dp, ic, UM software.
pamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
NJBoostedGTI
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2012 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 14
I take my 2012 GTI to the VW dealership and they charge $800. But the last two times I went there I needed a software update and they charge $300 to do it then since its already gonna be apart.

Declined the first time, second time I agreed to get it done but there was a miscommunication between us two so they didn't do it and I still have my cylinder misfire, extremely rough idle on cold starts, cel flashing every once in a while, sometimes it stays on and the days later goes off again. Since there was a miscommunication though they said they'll charge me the $300 to get it done which I plan on doing once I get my taxes cause I have to do my timing chain as well.
NJBoostedGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
Slowgti08
Oval Newbie
 
Slowgti08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 VW GTI
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 146
I paid 850 for the carbon cleaning and a new manifold.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slowgti08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
ferrariF60
Touring Car Newbie
 
ferrariF60's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 TR 2DR GTI
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kitchener, ONT, Canada
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowgti08 View Post
I paid 850 for the carbon cleaning and a new manifold.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
isn't there a service bulletin for the faulty intake manifold until 120K miles; that's what i thought
__________________
2010 TR GTI 6MT: APR Stage 1 ECU | APR carbonio | HS Tuning RSR Clutch | Red DB Mount Insert | Neuspeed Charge and Discharge Pipes | Neuspeed Cat Back | GFB DV+ | H&R Sport Springs | S3 Shifter & 42DD Aluminum Bushings | OEM Golf R LED Tails | Golf R Side Skirts | OEM Front Lip | H&R 12-15mm spacers | PIAA Ion Yellow Fogs | Aspherical Mirrors |
ferrariF60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
gti2015
Autocross Newbie
 
Drives: gti
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: usa
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariF60 View Post
isn't there a service bulletin for the faulty intake manifold until 120K miles; that's what i thought


I think it depends on what year the car is.
gti2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #9
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion
 
sterkrazzy's Avatar
 
Drives: mk6 gti
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariF60 View Post
isn't there a service bulletin for the faulty intake manifold until 120K miles; that's what i thought
My dealer wouldn't tell me without certainty that they'd replace the manifold under warranty without looking at the car first. Then they told me if I wanted a carbon cleaning while they were replacing it that it'd be $550. I paid about $750 (for a new manifold, carbon cleaning, and 1 new injector) by taking it to my regular mechanic, but I didn't like what the dealer told me and I have a mechanic that's done all the work to my car and I trust him a whole lot more.
__________________
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #10
NJBoostedGTI
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2012 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterkrazzy View Post
My dealer wouldn't tell me without certainty that they'd replace the manifold under warranty without looking at the car first. Then they told me if I wanted a carbon cleaning while they were replacing it that it'd be $550. I paid about $750 (for a new manifold, carbon cleaning, and 1 new injector) by taking it to my regular mechanic, but I didn't like what the dealer told me and I have a mechanic that's done all the work to my car and I trust him a whole lot more.
Yeah, I've gotten my intake mani replaced twice from the dealership, first time they said it'll be 350 since they're doing the intake mani paid for by Volkswagen otherwise it would've been 800 or 850.
NJBoostedGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:44 AM   #11
k.ramirez
Oval Champion
 
Drives: 2011 GTI
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 164
The shop I went to quoted me for $450. Chemical cleaning followed by walnut shell blasting. I went ahead and replaced all 4 fuel injectors just because preventative maintenance. All in all, ~$750. I'm super picky with shops and try to avoid dealerships like the plague unless it's warranty work. I read up a lot of reviews on the shop and look for vouches from forum members. If I went to a shop closer to me, they were charging $900 just for the blasting.

And just for reference, I made a trip, 310 miles both ways. Before the cleaning, I was lucky to break 28mpg going 65mph. After the cleaning, rough estimate has me doing anywhere from 36-39mpg, same speed.
k.ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:21 AM   #12
gti2015
Autocross Newbie
 
Drives: gti
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: usa
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.ramirez View Post
The shop I went to quoted me for $450. Chemical cleaning followed by walnut shell blasting. I went ahead and replaced all 4 fuel injectors just because preventative maintenance. All in all, ~$750. I'm super picky with shops and try to avoid dealerships like the plague unless it's warranty work. I read up a lot of reviews on the shop and look for vouches from forum members. If I went to a shop closer to me, they were charging $900 just for the blasting.

And just for reference, I made a trip, 310 miles both ways. Before the cleaning, I was lucky to break 28mpg going 65mph. After the cleaning, rough estimate has me doing anywhere from 36-39mpg, same speed.


Cool, thanks for the info! How many miles were on your car when you got the carbon cleaning? I will call my shop Monday and get the details on what their carbon cleaning would involve - should it include shell blasting too or is just a chemical cleaning good enough?
gti2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:59 AM   #13
k.ramirez
Oval Champion
 
Drives: 2011 GTI
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti2015 View Post
Cool, thanks for the info! How many miles were on your car when you got the carbon cleaning? I will call my shop Monday and get the details on what their carbon cleaning would involve - should it include shell blasting too or is just a chemical cleaning good enough?
87k miles. I had the intake manifold replaced a couple months ago and I had the dealer take pictures of the valves. They offered just a chemical cleaning and I wanted the whole 9. Chemical clean will be good enough but it won't be the best. Think of it this way. Just a chemical cleaning is like getting your car washed. Walnut shell blasting is getting your car detailed. Just a more deep and thorough cleaning. Some places offer it, some don't. It all depends on whether or not they have the equipment. My dealership didn't have it and were just going to do the chemicals.
k.ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #14
Slowgti08
Oval Newbie
 
Slowgti08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 VW GTI
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti2015 View Post
Cool, thanks for the info! How many miles were on your car when you got the carbon cleaning? I will call my shop Monday and get the details on what their carbon cleaning would involve - should it include shell blasting too or is just a chemical cleaning good enough?


Make sure they do a manual walnut blasting not a chemical cleaning. Chemical cleaning does nothing. in order to really clean the valves it has to be manual scrubbing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slowgti08 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.