GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 01-13-2018, 02:30 AM   #1
gti2015
Autocross Newbie

Drives: gti
Carbon cleaning & cylinder 4 random misfire code - advice?

My car is a stock 2011 GTI with 75,000 miles.

Just wondering when you all have had carbon cleaning done and how much your shop charges? My mechanic suggested it and said it would be about $900.

Also - I have a cylinder 4 intermittent misfire code that my mechanic discovered. The check engine light isn't on and he said that as long as it still passes emissions and my check engine light is not on, then it isn't anything to worry about. He said it may be the injectors but wouldn't know until they were taken out and checked/cleaned if needed.

Thanks for any advice!
gti2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:40 AM   #2
ithrashmotors
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Mk6 gti
Just had the girlfriends carbon cleaning on her gli at 70k and it was much needed. Also had the cylinder 4 misfire and really rough idle on cold start along with CEL flashing randomly due to misfires. Get it cleaned at this point as it will only get worse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #3
gti2015
Autocross Newbie

Thanks for the help. Is $900 a fair price for a carbon cleaning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
pamatt
Go Kart Champion

Drives: Mk6 2012
Hell no. It should be no more than 300-600.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
NJBoostedGTI
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 GTI
I take my 2012 GTI to the VW dealership and they charge $800. But the last two times I went there I needed a software update and they charge $300 to do it then since its already gonna be apart.

Declined the first time, second time I agreed to get it done but there was a miscommunication between us two so they didn't do it and I still have my cylinder misfire, extremely rough idle on cold starts, cel flashing every once in a while, sometimes it stays on and the days later goes off again. Since there was a miscommunication though they said they'll charge me the $300 to get it done which I plan on doing once I get my taxes cause I have to do my timing chain as well.
NJBoostedGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
Slowgti08
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2008 VW GTI
I paid 850 for the carbon cleaning and a new manifold.

Slowgti08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
ferrariF60
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 TR 2DR GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowgti08 View Post
I paid 850 for the carbon cleaning and a new manifold.

isn't there a service bulletin for the faulty intake manifold until 120K miles; that's what i thought
2010 TR GTI 6MT: APR Stage 1 ECU | APR carbonio | HS Tuning RSR Clutch | Red DB Mount Insert | Neuspeed Charge and Discharge Pipes | Neuspeed Cat Back | GFB DV+ | H&R Sport Springs | S3 Shifter & 42DD Aluminum Bushings | OEM Golf R LED Tails | Golf R Side Skirts | OEM Front Lip | H&R 12-15mm spacers | PIAA Ion Yellow Fogs | Aspherical Mirrors |
ferrariF60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
gti2015
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariF60 View Post
isn't there a service bulletin for the faulty intake manifold until 120K miles; that's what i thought

I think it depends on what year the car is.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #9
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariF60 View Post
My dealer wouldn't tell me without certainty that they'd replace the manifold under warranty without looking at the car first. Then they told me if I wanted a carbon cleaning while they were replacing it that it'd be $550. I paid about $750 (for a new manifold, carbon cleaning, and 1 new injector) by taking it to my regular mechanic, but I didn't like what the dealer told me and I have a mechanic that's done all the work to my car and I trust him a whole lot more.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #10
NJBoostedGTI
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterkrazzy View Post
My dealer wouldn't tell me without certainty that they'd replace the manifold under warranty without looking at the car first. Then they told me if I wanted a carbon cleaning while they were replacing it that it'd be $550. I paid about $750 (for a new manifold, carbon cleaning, and 1 new injector) by taking it to my regular mechanic, but I didn't like what the dealer told me and I have a mechanic that's done all the work to my car and I trust him a whole lot more.
Yeah, I've gotten my intake mani replaced twice from the dealership, first time they said it'll be 350 since they're doing the intake mani paid for by Volkswagen otherwise it would've been 800 or 850.
NJBoostedGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:44 AM   #11
k.ramirez
Oval Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
The shop I went to quoted me for $450. Chemical cleaning followed by walnut shell blasting. I went ahead and replaced all 4 fuel injectors just because preventative maintenance. All in all, ~$750. I'm super picky with shops and try to avoid dealerships like the plague unless it's warranty work. I read up a lot of reviews on the shop and look for vouches from forum members. If I went to a shop closer to me, they were charging $900 just for the blasting.

And just for reference, I made a trip, 310 miles both ways. Before the cleaning, I was lucky to break 28mpg going 65mph. After the cleaning, rough estimate has me doing anywhere from 36-39mpg, same speed.
k.ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:21 AM   #12
gti2015
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.ramirez View Post
The shop I went to quoted me for $450. Chemical cleaning followed by walnut shell blasting. I went ahead and replaced all 4 fuel injectors just because preventative maintenance. All in all, ~$750. I'm super picky with shops and try to avoid dealerships like the plague unless it's warranty work. I read up a lot of reviews on the shop and look for vouches from forum members. If I went to a shop closer to me, they were charging $900 just for the blasting.

And just for reference, I made a trip, 310 miles both ways. Before the cleaning, I was lucky to break 28mpg going 65mph. After the cleaning, rough estimate has me doing anywhere from 36-39mpg, same speed.

Cool, thanks for the info! How many miles were on your car when you got the carbon cleaning? I will call my shop Monday and get the details on what their carbon cleaning would involve - should it include shell blasting too or is just a chemical cleaning good enough?
Old 01-14-2018, 05:59 AM   #13
k.ramirez
Oval Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti2015 View Post
Cool, thanks for the info! How many miles were on your car when you got the carbon cleaning? I will call my shop Monday and get the details on what their carbon cleaning would involve - should it include shell blasting too or is just a chemical cleaning good enough?
87k miles. I had the intake manifold replaced a couple months ago and I had the dealer take pictures of the valves. They offered just a chemical cleaning and I wanted the whole 9. Chemical clean will be good enough but it won't be the best. Think of it this way. Just a chemical cleaning is like getting your car washed. Walnut shell blasting is getting your car detailed. Just a more deep and thorough cleaning. Some places offer it, some don't. It all depends on whether or not they have the equipment. My dealership didn't have it and were just going to do the chemicals.
k.ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #14
Slowgti08
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2008 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti2015 View Post

Make sure they do a manual walnut blasting not a chemical cleaning. Chemical cleaning does nothing. in order to really clean the valves it has to be manual scrubbing.

Slowgti08 is offline   Reply With Quote