GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 09-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
somerset9
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2014 GTI 6MT (RIP)
Life after 70k miles

Hi, I am in the market for a mk6 with a 6 speed manual.
Most cars have above 70k miles, some have great maintenance records.

I'd like to know how your experiences with high mileage GTI has been. Specifically,

1. What broke, when, and how much to fix?
2. How many miles can I expect?
3. Any tips as a veteran owner?

Thanks!
somerset9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
A.SMK6
Ready to race!

Drives: 2011 GTI Autobahn (DSG)
I'm currently at 71k miles and the only issues I had was with the mechatronics unit in the DSG (which you won't have to worry about with a 6spd). The big issues with these cars are with the timing chains (which can get expensive). I'd do some research on that and see how that will factor into your decision making. If you keep up with the routine maintenance and do oil changes every 5k, you shouldn't have any problems getting these cars well into the 100k range.

You may also want to look into a carbon cleaning as well, which can run you around $500ish. I did one at 58k and there was a lot of buildup on the valves, mostly from city driving and being stuck in traffic. Driving the car hard can help with this, but once it's on the valves you'll have to get it scraped off.
A.SMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
Besides suspension (replaced everything by now) mines been fine to 60k honestly. No failures to speak of.
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: CW '10 GTI, 6MT
130k on mine.

Paid to have the chain tensioner fixed, $1100. Intake manifold failed and was covered under warranty. A couple of oil leaks fixed. Throttle body wiring harness needed to be repaired, did it for $100. Control arm bushings, $30 and a few hours of my time. New struts were about $500 (Koni Sport). Saggy headliner that I haven't fixed yet. Engine/transmission mount for about $300 and a few hours of my time. Air conditioner repair (compressor, condensor, a few other bits) $1600.

Overall it's been a solid car. The air conditioner repair sucked, but given that it's running constantly for about 80% of the year (southern car) I can't say that I'm surprised that it was necessary; definitely preferable to having a rusty northern car with a good air conditioner.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
I have 150k, replaced a leaky radiator a couple years ago. It was just weeping, never stopped me from driving the car. Headliner fell down last year, that's it. Car has been mechanically sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
Crusader10143
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 VW Gti
I bought my 2012 at 68k and I am now at 78k. So far I've done just oil changes and plugs. I'm definitely due for a carbon cleaning, also I'm not sure if I have the revised tensioner or not so will most likely do the chain and tensioner next spring. Also my clutch is starting to slip so that will be done when the tensioner gets done in spring as well. So all in all I haven't had to do any major work on the car yet, but I know the common things with them and what will need replaced in the near future.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
MakiNn
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2011 VW GTI
116k and nothing has happened
MakiNn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:02 PM   #8
green hell
Oval Champion

Drives: 2013 gti
i have 85k+ on my 2013. i've had an indie mechanic perform one manual carbon cleaning. a couple alignments. 2 bent rims. a cracked grill from a huge chunk of flying tire.

pretty solid so far.
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #9
keedvin
Autocross Newbie

Drives: '13 Wolfsburg
Had mine at around 91k and no issues really.. had waterpump repacked under warranty at around 50k and that was it.
keedvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #10
ChrisB
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 MKVI Driver's Ed German Fit
My original water pump failed at 60,200 miles and my replacement water pump failed at 62,500 miles. While it is under warranty, I need to get a new water pump because I don't have the luxury of sending the broken one back and waiting on a new one due to my daily commute.

I also had a clip break on my driver's side hatchback marker light assembly which gives me a random bulb out error. It broke when I closed the hatch and I need to rig it up to pass inspection next month, lol.

EDIT: I was wrong about the water pump. After further inspection, it is coming from the radiator. I just assumed it was the water pump. So, I have a radiator replacement in my future, yay!

Last edited by ChrisB; 09-20-2018 at 09:10 PM.
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #11
TheCor
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
2013 6-speed manual with 102k miles. No significant issues.

I have changed the gear oil twice in that time, I change the engine oil every 5k.

I had carbon cleaning done around 72k miles. Rear brakes replaced around 50k, front brakes at 95k.

I replaced the PCV valve at the same time as the carbon cleaning for peace of mind.

The only failure I have had was the rear trunk latch mechanism, I had to replace that but its an easy DIY. I recommend buying only OEM though, because I bought a cheap Chinese one first and it broke within a month, they sent me a replacement for free and that failed too. Went OEM and its been flawless.

Its often recommended to look for a 2013 or 14 if possible as they generally avoid any of the timing chain tensioner concerns. I never had a water pump issue, but still could in the future, who knows.

Still love driving this car 5 years later.
TheCor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
TheCor
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by somerset9 View Post
Hi, I am in the market for a mk6 with a 6 speed manual.
Most cars have above 70k miles, some have great maintenance records.

I'd like to know how your experiences with high mileage GTI has been. Specifically,

1. What broke, when, and how much to fix?
2. How many miles can I expect?
3. Any tips as a veteran owner?

Thanks!
Wait, why is there a car with mods in your signature? Did you pick one up since Tuesday??
TheCor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #13
bertha

Drives: m5
Indeed, very interesting thread
bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #14
markus037
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI 4dr DSG
i have 63k on mine and other than a radiator replacement, i havent had any other out of warranty repairs. not sure how much longer i plan on keeping it since i might upgrade to a mk7.5 next year. as long as you stay on top of things, i dont see why the car wouldnt go well past 100k.
markus037 is offline   Reply With Quote