GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #1
Rolling_GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '12 GTI
2 door passenger door stuck closed

So I've got a replacement latch and am trying to get my passenger door open. I read threads that mention removing the outer handle, but I can't get the key hole cover off at all, there is not even a notch for a screwdriver like the driver's side has. I've also tried hitting unlock while holding the door release handle, no luck.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get this door open?
APR K04 | ESC Disabled | Carbonio | COBB TBE | RR Stage 3 clutch | Scarlet Red VMR 701's 18" | Black Unibrace UB & XB | VF Engine/Tranny mounts | DG Skid Plate | S3 Short Shifter | EBC Red Pads, Slotted Rotors | Filled Hood Notch | LED Tails | 35% Tint | Too many small mods to list

I've daily'd her 260,000 hard miles and still loving it! 27MPG Lifetime average
Rolling_GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:10 PM   #2
Blakcard
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
To clarify.. the key fob does not unlock any of your passenger doors and the unlock button on the inside of the driver door or passenger door also doesn't work?

Is the handle on the inside passenger or outer passenger door not functioning?
Old 07-29-2018, 06:36 AM   #3
Rolling_GTI

Correct, neither button has any effect. Neither handle opens the door currently.
APR K04 | ESC Disabled | Carbonio | COBB TBE | RR Stage 3 clutch | Scarlet Red VMR 701's 18" | Black Unibrace UB & XB | VF Engine/Tranny mounts | DG Skid Plate | S3 Short Shifter | EBC Red Pads, Slotted Rotors | Filled Hood Notch | LED Tails | 35% Tint | Too many small mods to list

Old 07-29-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
Blakcard
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
Wow... i would call that a safety issue and call VWOA on it. Imagine a motorist unable to exit a vehicle in an emergency? They must know about this or at the very least want to help resolve it for at least public interest cuz #dieselgate
Old 07-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #5
Rolling_GTI

At 260,000 miles I would think they'll just tell me to bring it to a dealership. Anyone have a diagram of this mechanism?

Old 07-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #6
Rolling_GTI

So knowing the latches pull on the bolt release manually. I am assuming my door is locked and without a working latch I have to break it out. Anyone ever see a diagram of the latch internals? I don't have my ETKA pc around right now.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:41 AM   #7
Wascally Wabbit
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling_GTI View Post
So I've got a replacement latch and am trying to get my passenger door open. I read threads that mention removing the outer handle, but I can't get the keyhole cover off at all, there is not even a notch for a screwdriver like a driver's side has. I've also tried hitting unlock while holding the door release handle, no luck.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get this door open?

That's nuts. I don't know what to do in that situation. Only the driver's door has a keyhole. No keyhole on the passenger side.
Wascally Wabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
Rolling_GTI

The ONLY option I see is to cut a hole in the inside door panel and smash the latch to get it to release. Then replace the latch and door panel. I'll get pics when I do it, in case anyone else ever has this issue.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:08 AM   #9
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT - 2016 MK7 GTi DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post
That's nuts. I don't know what to do in that situation. Only the driver's door has a keyhole. No keyhole on the passenger side.

My gti has a keyhole both sides!!! Wierd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:13 AM   #10
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT - 2016 MK7 GTi DSG
https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...ew_front_door/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
Rolling_GTI

I have no ideas why you have a keyhole on both sides, 4 door maybe?

I got mine off. Incase anyone runs into this in the future, how I did it follows.

Cut off back half of the Inside door panel, remove black plastic cover by lifting while pulling out. Then take a screwdriver and hammer and smash open the latch mechanism. This is what you'll see once the plastic is broken.

Image not working, link is at. https://ibb.co/iRKwQ9

See the tab I circled, insert a screwdriver on the top side of this and you can manually rotate the latch mechanism to get it to let go.

This is very difficult to get to, the latch is way tougher than it appears to be. After the door is open, replace as usual. Then buy a new interior door panel and replace.