GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 01-18-2018, 01:02 AM   #1
QuitersLOSE14
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf Mk VI TDi, Shark Metallic
What Are you Thoughts?: ECS Rear Subframe Brace

So I was on ECS Tuning's website to look at replacement clutch stuff and their marketing got me. I'm guessing they must've launched this lil piece of billet metal recently: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...020802ecs02kt/.

I've been thinking about it's design (engineering background), along with sway bar functionality, and finally, design features that many aftermarket sway bars possess. The reason that I'm thinking about all of these things is because I'm trying to figure out how the added offset from the subframe affects the sway bar function aside from what's written about the product: ie positively or negatively in a more technical manner.

My thought is that it would tighten the range of motion (ROM) that the sway bar allows the suspension to move, perhaps even after adjusting the length of the sway bar end-links, and staying in the same hole if you have a sway bar that has multiple holes for example. To keep the angle of the sway bar end-links the same you could likely move up to the next-most forward hole if not already there, and try to adjust the end-link length additionally.

So, with that thought process I think that this part would likely strengthen some aspects of the subframe, and more importantly, positively affect sway bar functionality by tightening the ROM which should translate to reduced body roll. I believe that my Whiteline end-links are basically at their smallest length, so I might have to extend them a bit, or move them up to the next hole to keep the same spec for example. Of course, other than the "feel" of theorized improved performance, I'd have no scientific way to actually figure that out right now anyways which is why I'm looking for people with experience in suspension modification and such. I could build a CAD model eventually, but sims are just sims.

Next, I have to wonder how that part will end up affecting the rest of the subframe rigidity and robustness, along with the attached suspension components as well. Extending the distance between the "rigid" mounting structures and a torqued bar that is held captive by those "rigid" mounting structures now imparts a larger moment (think higher-force torque in this case) on the tabs that the sway bar fastens to on the rear subframe tube via welding.

The downside I can see is that the forward side of that u-channel piece that holds the forward suspension link has somewhat smaller bracing between the tube and itself. That would likely put more stress on an assembly that VW hopefully designed to take the increased beatings that larger hollow and solid sway bars dish out.

It looks like the Golf R rear subframe is beefier in the sense that the U channel is partially boxed, but that's also likely due to the general need to be stronger with the increased force that the 4Motion systems would put out.

Remember, this part will still increase aspects of the structural rigidity of the rear subframe flex imparted by aftermarket sway bars, hopefully the stamped steel and welds are engineered for these upgrades for the long run. Thoughts? #imightbuy
QuitersLOSE14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #2
TimS
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '12 Golf R
If you're that eager to get rid of $130, I'll give you my paypal address.

For this thing to make a difference, you'd have to be deeper into suspension mods than any reasonable person is willing to go.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
Rear hatch brace would be best I think
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
QuitersLOSE14
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf Mk VI TDi, Shark Metallic
Ya I think Unibrace products, or similar tube variant chassis braces would prove far more effective at limiting movement in more significant ways. I'm going to get my GoPro under there to see if you can notice flex (highly doubtful) during driving and hard cornering more importantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuitersLOSE14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stiff, stiffest, strong, strongest, sway bar