GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 08-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #127
Tony48
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quick update on downpipe spacer setup. I was able to eliminate the post-cat o2 code using the Vibrant J spacer (Vibrant p/n 11619) with the medium insert. I used a spacer only on the post-cat o2 sensor. After a few days of driving readiness set! Still good after ~250 miles of driving. I'm glad I found a solution for getting through emissions. Pic of the medium insert in the spacer:

I've also set up an appointment with a local VW dealership because it sounds like they may be able to replace my radiator under warranty due to a faulty G611 sensor. It's been causing constant soft codes U102F and U1030 along with the occasional CEL for a few months now. Unfortunately the sensor is tamper proof and cannot be purchased separately from the radiator.

Right about now I'm really wishing I owned a CCTA car! CBFA is a headache.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:12 AM   #128
BringerOdeath
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI Candy White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony48 View Post
Quick update on downpipe spacer setup. I was able to eliminate the post-cat o2 code using the Vibrant J spacer (Vibrant p/n 11619) with the medium insert. I used a spacer only on the post-cat o2 sensor. After a few days of driving readiness set! Still good after ~250 miles of driving. I'm glad I found a solution for getting through emissions. Pic of the medium insert in the spacer:

I've also set up an appointment with a local VW dealership because it sounds like they may be able to replace my radiator under warranty due to a faulty G611 sensor. It's been causing constant soft codes U102F and U1030 along with the occasional CEL for a few months now. Unfortunately the sensor is tamper proof and cannot be purchased separately from the radiator.

Right about now I'm really wishing I owned a CCTA car! CBFA is a headache.
Man, I have CBFA as well and I had a hell of a time getting the CEL light off and it still comes on every once in a while even with a pre and post cat spacer. The ECS downpipe looks like the post cat bung is already spaced a little, so that may have helped a bit. My 42DD downpipe did not. The only DP that guarantees no CEL on cbfa is the AWE one.
K04 G.I.A.C. Tuned, Godspeed FMIC V2.0, R8 red Coilpacks, Volant Intake, Fastbits DV+,42 Draft designs DP-high flow cat, Fluidampr, 034 motorsports street engine/tranny mounts, Vibratech Subframe insert, 034 motosports aspherical dogbone, 034 stainless subframe collar kit, IE Africa plate, AWE S3 style Charge /discharge pipes, Koni Coilovers, TSW Donington wheels, Golf R side skirts, TTRS BBK, Dual caliper Cayenne rear BBK
BringerOdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #129
Tony48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringerOdeath View Post
Man, I have CBFA as well and I had a hell of a time getting the CEL light off and it still comes on every once in a while even with a pre and post cat spacer. The ECS downpipe looks like the post cat bung is already spaced a little, so that may have helped a bit. My 42DD downpipe did not. The only DP that guarantees no CEL on cbfa is the AWE one.
Yup CBFA is a real bear. I never managed to get readiness set with my previous catted downpipe. I fully expect to pop a CEL at some point but the fact that I can even set readiness is already an improvement.

Now I'm deep into the battle with the radiator identification sensor and trying to get that issue resolved short of buying an OEM CBFA radiator for $300.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:49 PM   #130
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 2Dr DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony48 View Post
Yup CBFA is a real bear. I never managed to get readiness set with my previous catted downpipe. I fully expect to pop a CEL at some point but the fact that I can even set readiness is already an improvement.

Now I'm deep into the battle with the radiator identification sensor and trying to get that issue resolved short of buying an OEM CBFA radiator for $300.
This is strange. I was able to pass 3 inspections (2 PA, 1 MD) with that downpipe. I used a straight spacer from RAI with med jet and had no issues. Hoping I can do the same with my Eurojet setup as I'm due for emissions in a few months.
APR K04 / meth injection / custom intake / Eurojet turboback / Neuspeed FMIC / FMIC sprayer / FSB-RSB / Endlinks / 034 Mounts / HPA 75A / AWE TOP / BSH TBP / ECS Catch Can / Solo Werks / Centric rotors / StopTech pads / Tyrolsport / Powerflex Bushings & A.L.K. / Stern Brace / Eurosport Strut Brace & Rear XB / TCR-II System / Misc Interior & Exterior Mods / Build Thread / My flickr
GoodTimesIndeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #131
Tony48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimesIndeed View Post
This is strange. I was able to pass 3 inspections (2 PA, 1 MD) with that downpipe. I used a straight spacer from RAI with med jet and had no issues. Hoping I can do the same with my Eurojet setup as I'm due for emissions in a few months.
To be honest I didn't mess with the spacer setup too much since I wasn't due for emissions while I had the old downpipe on the car. The only setup I used was the Vibrant J spacer with the small insert.

I assumed if I could keep the CEL off for a reasonable amount of time then readiness would set...apparently that's not the case since I went months and thousands of miles on that setup without popping a CEL (it only popped a few times in the 1.5yrs I used that downpipe) yet readiness wouldn't set.

Oh well, I'm all set now

Last edited by Tony48; 08-24-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Tony48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #132
Cal2000
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 13' GTI 4DR AUTOBAHN
Nice build brother!
Cal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #133
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Really enjoyed reading through this. So nice to see other people tackling their own work too. Cheers!
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #134
Tony48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
Really enjoyed reading through this. So nice to see other people tackling their own work too. Cheers!
Much appreciated sir. I've benefited from a lot of your advice and wisdom posted on this forum.

In other news, I had the opportunity to ride in a coworker's brand new A4 today at lunch. No doubt an amazing car, particularly the magnetic suspension, but I don't think I would ever want one. I didn't particularly like all the electrical gizmos, screens, and nannies. Most importantly it was missing a pedal

The only car work I have planned right now is working on dad's MK7. Got a TTRS clutch, poly control arm bushings, and lowering springs all sitting in boxes ready for him. Should be a piece of cake since I've done all those on my car already . Maybe I'll take a few pics and throw them up here.

Last edited by Tony48; 09-12-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Tony48 is online now   Reply With Quote