GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 08-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #1
Krawlinyj
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 Golf R
2013 Golf R suspension

Just bought a 2013 R and it has the Bilstein coilovers and shocks. It is a pretty stiff ride and sits a bit too low for me as we live in snow country. I had the ride height adjusted but that just made it ride even stiffer. I am considering going back to stock suspension for a better ride. I commute about 60 miles one way to work and would like to be a little more comfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't really want to drop a ton of money on airbags or any of that.
Krawlinyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
OlderSlower
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 VW Golf R
I love my Koni's. My R is a daily driver. Coil overs in snow country tend to rust and need replacement after a couple years. My Koni's drop the car a bit, they handle well and are still fine for all around driving. My .02
Stage 2, AWE Downpipe, Forge Twintake, Diesel Geeks Short Shifter, Konis, Wagner Intercooler, HPFP, diverter valve, South Bend Stage 3 Clutch, BFI shift knob and an understated carbon fiber rear spoiler...
OlderSlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
M@GN1F1SH1t
Ready to race!

Drives: 2012 GTI
I am so close to going back to stock springs after Neuspeed spring install. The lower is minimal but ride is harsh. I did order Koni Yellow and hoping that helps the ride with new springs. Missing the stock ride feel though.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: CW '10 GTI, 6MT
I have Koni Sports with stock springs on my GTI. I'd describe them as smooth. Not as smooth as the OEM Sachs dampers when they were new, but still quite comfortable.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:46 AM   #5
TimS
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 Golf R
I'm on VWR springs over Bilstein B6 and I love it. It's firm, but still comfortable.

When I first installed them the ride was a bit harsh, but after the shocks got broken in it's perfect.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
bebersol
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '13 Carbon Gray 4dr Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawlinyj View Post
Just bought a 2013 R and it has the Bilstein coilovers and shocks. It is a pretty stiff ride and sits a bit too low for me as we live in snow country. I had the ride height adjusted but that just made it ride even stiffer. I am considering going back to stock suspension for a better ride. I commute about 60 miles one way to work and would like to be a little more comfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't really want to drop a ton of money on airbags or any of that.
I run a stock suspension with the tyrol sport deadset kit and a xbrace. I like this setup because it takes the flex and slop out of the chassis and allows the suspension for work as designed.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:46 AM   #7
Phil0814

Drives: 2013 VW Golf R Stage II+
Do you have a pic of one of the coilover setups? What model is it?

I have a 2013 Golf R on fully stock suspension and am looking for a coilover setup.
Phil0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:23 AM   #8
OlderSlower
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 VW Golf R
Beware of coilovers if you are going to drive in any snow, rust is not your friend...
Stage 2, AWE Downpipe, Forge Twintake, Diesel Geeks Short Shifter, Konis, Wagner Intercooler, HPFP, diverter valve, South Bend Stage 3 Clutch, BFI shift knob and an understated carbon fiber rear spoiler...
OlderSlower is offline   Reply With Quote