GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI stalling

dtorres86

GTI stalling

I have 2011 GTI Autobahn with DSG and pushstart. My car currently has 50,000 miles. My car stalls all the time. At first just like most of you I thought maybe I'm letting go of pushstart to soon but then it would happen all the time. At around 40k when the car was due for maintenance I took it in to the dealership I told them what the car was doing. Later that day I got a call from my local VW service advisor he told me I have a faulty battery that needs to be changed. I got my battery changed and seemed to solve the problem. About a month later the car started to stall again. I take the car a few months later back to the dealership when I'm do for maintenance again but this time I notice the stalling would also occur when I turned the AC after starting the car on. The start is very weak then as I turn the AC and reverse out of driveway the car shuts off and I then need to restart it up to two times and give it a bit of gas so it won't shutoff. When I arrive to the dealership I tell my local vw service advisor how car is still shutt off. He then later informs me that my AC compressor clutch needs to be replaced because it is locking up causing the car to shutoff. I call VWoA to complain about the problem and they were able to cover parts and labor for my new AC compressor. A week later my car is still stalling!! I take the car right back to the dealership. They keep the car for about a week to run diagnoses and they were not able to find the problem. I dot know what to do anymore. I was shocked to see how many members here all have the same exact problem. I read here in the forums that VW is aware of the problem and is yet to find the problem. The last thing the service manager from the dealership said is it could be carbon build up from bad gas. They would need to pull off the intake manifold to see if thats a possible cause. The only problem here is I'm not willing to pay for a service that may not even make a difference. He then told me to do buy a fuel additive and see if that makes any difference. I hope this was helpful for you guys. VW has some major research to do with this problem.

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
I have 2011 GTI Autobahn with DSG and pushstart. My car currently has 50,000 miles. My car stalls all the time. At first just like most of you I thought maybe I'm letting go of pushstart to soon but then it would happen all the time. At around 40k when the car was due for maintenance I took it in to the dealership I told them what the car was doing. Later that day I got a call from my local VW service advisor he told me I have a faulty battery that needs to be changed. I got my battery changed and seemed to solve the problem. About a month later the car started to stall again. I take the car a few months later back to the dealership when I'm do for maintenance again but this time I notice the stalling would also occur when I turned the AC after starting the car on. The start is very weak then as I turn the AC and reverse out of driveway the car shuts off and I then need to restart it up to two times and give it a bit of gas so it won't shutoff. When I arrive to the dealership I tell my local vw service advisor how car is still shutt off. He then later informs me that my AC compressor clutch needs to be replaced because it is locking up causing the car to shutoff. I call VWoA to complain about the problem and they were able to cover parts and labor for my new AC compressor. A week later my car is still stalling!! I take the car right back to the dealership. They keep the car for about a week to run diagnoses and they were not able to find the problem. I dot know what to do anymore. I was shocked to see how many members here all have the same exact problem. I read here in the forums that VW is aware of the problem and is yet to find the problem. The last thing the service manager from the dealership said is it could be carbon build up from bad gas. They would need to pull off the intake manifold to see if thats a possible cause. The only problem here is I'm not willing to pay for a service that may not even make a difference. He then told me to do buy a fuel additive and see if that makes any difference. I hope this was helpful for you guys. VW has some major research to do with this problem.

You're not alone. I have a case with vwoa. Do not stop keeping in contact with vwoa. Make them aware of the fact that the dealer wil not cover repair. For me, they suspected bad gas and flushed my gas tank. Gues what, the stalling came back. My gti like yours is a 2011 gti autobahn kessy. Guess what? It is a the dealer now for the 5th time to have this problem addressed. Keep the pressure on them to find the problem and fix it, for everyone's benefit. I am convinced they can fix it and if enough people stay in contact with vwoa there can be a tsb/recall. I will pm you my case number you can reference in communication with vwoa. You are xalling customer care, right? 18008228987.

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
I've also got a thread on the other forum, but for those of you not following that one:

So the hard-start issue happened to me twice today. Fortunately, I was prepared with my video camera!

Notice the temp gauge. In both cases it seems to be in about the same position.

Video number 1: on the way to the gym.
http://youtu.be/bN5oYktDdo0

Video number 2: on the way back from the gym. I mercifully gave the engine gas to keep it from stalling.
http://youtu.be/K9tdW2qXJsw

I'll have to check my records, but these were approximately the 9th or 10th start-ups I've done since I got the car back from the dealer _to address this issue_ (they couldn't replicate it). On the other hand, this issue ONLY seems to happen when the temperature gauge is around the 9 to 11 o'clock position. This is probably only the 4th or 5th time I've attempted to start the engine at that temperature.

Post up if you have this problem, and if you do, call VWOA and complain. They seem to believe this is a non-issue.

2PointSLO

Go Kart Champion
Adding my .02, I too have a 2011 GTI 6spd push start w/ KESSY. Bought it the end of last month, I too have had my fair share of the GTI stalling after startup(usually in the AM when I go to the gym). My friend who works as a tech @ the dealership and runs a performance shop has also heard the same issues that have been plaguing the 2011's. Also wondering too if it is a fuel related issue, I noticed it stalling a couple times after having it a week. First time I put gas I used 91 octane(100% ethanol-free) and not 93, still having stalling issues. I'm scheduled for the 30k check up and will talk to the dealer about the issues then go from there, I'll try 93 and see if the stalling continues...

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
Adding my .02, I too have a 2011 GTI 6spd push start w/ KESSY. Bought it the end of last month, I too have had my fair share of the GTI stalling after startup(usually in the AM when I go to the gym). My friend who works as a tech @ the dealership and runs a performance shop has also heard the same issues that have been plaguing the 2011's. Also wondering too if it is a fuel related issue, I noticed it stalling a couple times after having it a week. First time I put gas I used 91 octane(100% ethanol-free) and not 93, still having stalling issues. I'm scheduled for the 30k check up and will talk to the dealer about the issues then go from there, I'll try 93 and see if the stalling continues...

Definitely call VWOA. 1800-822-8987. Open a case with them. The only way we're going to get traction and get a solution is if a bunch of people open cases with VWOA.

Describe the issue. I can tell you definitively that it is not octane related. When you talk to VWOA, tell them you've tried different fuels and octanes, and your honest experiences.

VWOA's best idea is that it's fuel-quality related, but even if there were something wrong with the fuel, is it not at the very least bizarre that our 2011 GTI's are choking across the country, while 99% of the other cars do just fine? BTW the loaner Passat's, with which I've become quite familiar, start up very well. Gotta give the 2.5 credit for something....

McQueen77

Banned
godamn.. cant help but notice how there are a LOT of threads on here related to very low mileage problems on 2011 models. is 2011 going to set VW reliability stats back, again? these kind of problems with a new car are disgusting.

maxman142001

Passed Driver's Ed
Not trying to beat dead horse but has VW addressed this issue yet?
I too am having this same "hard start" problem and would like some idea on what needs to be done to fix..hard with no DTC's...

Bcastine

Passed Driver's Ed
Seems almost obvious what is happening. It seems like every instance involves starting the car shortly after previously driving. Fuel is heat soaking in between the hpfp and injectors. Heat the once cool pressurized fuel and you expand it volumetrically. Attempt to start the car and you get a temporary rich condition, essentially flooding the engine until an attempt two when cool fuel is once again drawn in and all is well. It seems most instances are happening to people in hot climates amplifying the problem. IDK, just an idea.
I have never experienced this issue with my 2011 in 40k miles of ownership, but I live up north, and very rarely if ever let the car sit 20-30min between starts.

maxman142001

Passed Driver's Ed
Seems almost obvious what is happening. It seems like every instance involves starting the car shortly after previously driving. Fuel is heat soaking in between the hpfp and injectors. Heat the once cool pressurized fuel and you expand it volumetrically. Attempt to start the car and you get a temporary rich condition, essentially flooding the engine until an attempt two when cool fuel is once again drawn in and all is well. It seems most instances are happening to people in hot climates amplifying the problem. IDK, just an idea.
I have never experienced this issue with my 2011 in 40k miles of ownership, but I live up north, and very rarely if ever let the car sit 20-30min between starts.

Seems like a legit thought...also explains the reason for the dealer not being much help. I'm in Arizona so temps are much higher than most. This may just be a summer is as I don't remember having too many start issues during the winter here. Ill continue to look around and see if any of the other forums have found a solution.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
No CEL don't worry yet, CEL pops up you have a warranty claim. I bought my 2011 GTI waiting for problems to happen so I can get them fixed. Either way love my car.

maxman142001

Passed Driver's Ed
No CEL don't worry yet, CEL pops up you have a warranty claim. I bought my 2011 GTI waiting for problems to happen so I can get them fixed. Either way love my car.

Ditto...once the car is running, im a happy camper. Was hoping my 40k service would help with the startup issue with updated fuel filter, fresh plugs and R8 coils.

I wonder is with this temporary rich issue will foul plugs faster in the summer time????

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
Seems like a legit thought...also explains the reason for the dealer not being much help. I'm in Arizona so temps are much higher than most. This may just be a summer is as I don't remember having too many start issues during the winter here. Ill continue to look around and see if any of the other forums have found a solution.

This is not just a summer issue. I live in tx, which is also a warmer climate, and had this hard start issue happen in 45 degree weather., and through the milder days of winter.

However it definitely is more prone to occurring when it is warm. The range of engine temperatures where I see this problem is wider in the summer.

Try this. I started my gti one morning and let it warm to the 9 o'clock position, then shut it off, without ever putting the car in gear or driving. It takes about 5 or 10 minutes. On the next few startups immediately after that, without driving, I was able to reproduce the. Issue. That is, I could start it and observe the rough idle, then shut it off. Then start it again,rough idle , etc. I have a video of this I should post.

Vw blamed two things on this issue. One, fuel quality. "Stop going to shell and chevron" "use exxon". ridiculous. The second was they blamed me. The vw case representative was a huge *&%$# who basically didn't believe this was an issue, refused to watch the like 7 youtube videos I posted relating to this, and basically told me to stop whining. All of this under the full vw warranty. I am now at 31000 miles, and still experincing the issue. I really love the car, but this is a very stupid issue to have.

One guy on vortex told me that vw replaced his throttle body and resolved the issue, but I am not sure if that is all they did, and I kindof don't want to replace a $400 part if its not really the root cause. I don't have a vcds either.

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
Ditto...once the car is running, im a happy camper. Was hoping my 40k service would help with the startup issue with updated fuel filter, fresh plugs and R8 coils.

I wonder is with this temporary rich issue will foul plugs faster in the summer time????

I changed pplugs and it made 0 difference. The issue popped up immediately. I also changed the coolant temp sensor to no avail for my car, at least, its not those.

Uberryan

Banned
I had a new throttle body put on recently when I received a CEL code pertaining to the issue. It has done nothing to remedy the problem for me. Maybe less occurrences, but it still happens. I've even drained the tank, and filled with Exxon gas, and no change. Did it then too. They're full of shit. I suspect fuel injectors still.

littledevil

Ready to race!
Hi Guys, I read through everything and my stalling issue only happened once before my APR stage 3+ upgrade. (2011 DSG w/ turn key ignition) (29,000 miles on the clock right now)

But my stall only happens on startups, after the engine starts everything seems fine. But lot of times I will get a weak start, it feels like the car is about to stall but not quite there.(its super annoying)

The first time it happened was in the fall at night on a cold start, It basically was just choking when I tried to start the car, then the car stalled. But second time worked fine.

Now I just had the Turbo upgrade, it happens way more often than before. But if I blip the throttle to give a little gas it will start right up every time when its choking.

I think the problem could be the engine is not getting enough fuel, so it maybe the fuel pump, the fuel injectors, or anything related to that area IMO. Gonna get it to the shop in couple weeks and see what happens, will keep this updated.

Really hope we can all solve this issue.

Max