GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
JonVW
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn Cobb Stg 2
2012 GTI Downpipe and Running Lean can I just stage 1?

Hey guys I have a 2012 gti DSG and I recently added a downpipe, asides the downpipe I only have a resonator delete along with a DV+. Besides that I have no other mods, I currently don't have a tune.

I was hoping to just install the downpipe for a bit of horsepower gain along with better noise which greatly satisfied me after the install. Shortly after enjoying the benefits of the exhaust, a couple of friends of mine informed me about a possible fuel issue that could appear from the downpipe, specifically running lean.

I didn't want to tune my car at all honestly I just wanted to keep it stock with a few mods but now since the car could possibly be running lean with fuel cuts it looks like I might have to get a tune.

My question is, can I just run a stage one tune to solve this or do I need to go full on stage 2?

Thanks a lot for your time in advance!
JonVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
NUISANCE
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2012 VW CC Rline
So your buds have some magical abilities to look at your car, without touching it or connecting diagnostic equipment to it, that some how tell them the car is running lean?
NUISANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
JonVW
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUISANCE View Post
So your buds have some magical abilities to look at your car, without touching it or connecting diagnostic equipment to it, that some how tell them the car is running lean?
they just brought up a possible issue and after looking through the forums there doesn't seem to be a clear answer to whether to not the downpipe will or wont cause a problem without a tune
Old 01-30-2018, 10:33 PM   #4
pdan
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2009 VW Jetta TDI (sold), 2013 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonVW View Post
they just brought up a possible issue and after looking through the forums there doesn't seem to be a clear answer to whether to not the downpipe will or wont cause a problem without a tune

Iím running a downpipe on the stock tune. Got a code for cat efficiently about 100 miles in, put on a spacer and cleared the code. Was fine for another 150ish miles or so and then it popped back up again but has since disappeared.

From what Iíve read itís just an efficiency code and doesnít actually affect anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2018, 10:39 PM   #5
JonVW
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdan View Post
Iím running a downpipe on the stock tune. Got a code for cat efficiently about 100 miles in, put on a spacer and cleared the code. Was fine for another 150ish miles or so and then it popped back up again but has since disappeared.

From what Iíve read itís just an efficiency code and doesnít actually affect anything.

Can I ask how long youíve been running the downpipe on a stock tune, has it run lean for you at all?
Old 01-30-2018, 10:53 PM   #6
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 black Wolfsburg
Why not just go stage 2? Waste of money to go 1 when you can do 2 for the same cost... Or close
GroceryGTIer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #7
JonVW
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGTIer View Post
Why not just go stage 2? Waste of money to go 1 when you can do 2 for the same cost... Or close
Less ware on the turbo and engine. At this point Iím looking at Cobb with a stratified tune
Old 01-30-2018, 11:06 PM   #8
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Less ware on the turbo and engine. At this point Iím looking at Cobb with a stratified tune
You're really worried about wear on the turbo at stage 2 levels? A Cobb protune is going to push the car even further than an ots stage 2 tune.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:13 PM   #9
pdan
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2009 VW Jetta TDI (sold), 2013 GTI
Quote:
Can I ask how long youíve been running the downpipe on a stock tune, has it run lean for you at all?

Not too long, had it on since mid December. However I have put about 3K miles on the car since then driving up and down the country a few times. I havenít checked logs or anything since I donít have access to anything to log with.

No issues that I can tell though so far. I believe disconnecting your battery will reset trims though.

And Iím looking at a stratified tune as well. I havenít gone stage 2 yet cause Iím still trying to save for a clutch, but debating getting a low torque tune from either stratified or through APR, still havenít decided yet.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:26 PM   #10
JonVW
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGTIer View Post
You're really worried about wear on the turbo at stage 2 levels? A Cobb protune is going to push the car even further than an ots stage 2 tune.
I was hoping to get more of a ďstage 1Ē from stratified. Stock air intake just coding for the downpipe and minor horsepower gains
Old 01-30-2018, 11:27 PM   #11
JonVW
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdan View Post
Not too long, had it on since mid December. However I have put about 3K miles on the car since then driving up and down the country a few times. I havenít checked logs or anything since I donít have access to anything to log with.

No issues that I can tell though so far. I believe disconnecting your battery will reset trims though.

And Iím looking at a stratified tune as well. I havenít gone stage 2 yet cause Iím still trying to save for a clutch, but debating getting a low torque tune from either stratified or through APR, still havenít decided yet.

Thatís good to know, I guess it doesnít really cause such an issue as some say! Thanks for the info!
Old 01-31-2018, 04:19 AM   #12
Laimface
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '09 Candy White GTi 6MT
Quote:
I was hoping to get more of a ďstage 1Ē from stratified. Stock air intake just coding for the downpipe and minor horsepower gains
You buy a circa $10k car, then cheap out on it.... Get an intake, get a Stratified tune, roll around in mad gains and wonder why you didn't do this earlier.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:22 AM   #13
CHerna
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 DBP GTI 2 Door M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
You buy a circa $10k car, then cheap out on it.... Get an intake, get a Stratified tune, roll around in mad gains and wonder why you didn't do this earlier.
This ^

There's a lot of misinformation on forums about turbo cars with exhaust, not being tuned. Unless you actually saw your A/F ratio, take what they told you with a grain of salt. That being said, go balls out with the Stratified tune.
CHerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:38 AM   #14
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
I understand not wanting to wear parts out, but the fact is that if you change the oil, keep the air filter clean etc on a regular basis, you aren't going to wear the turbo out much faster, in fact, I'd be willing to bet that it would be almost the same lifespan as stock with a little closer oil changes. I do mine at no more than 4k with rotella t6 because I'm not fond of castrol and believe it wears out fast. I also burn basically zero oil over that 3-5k span.