GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 01-10-2017, 01:36 AM   #15
mraaf
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2011 MK6 GTI
Does anyone has tried deleting fog lamps and re-coding it? It might open up some air to the engine imo
Old 01-10-2017, 02:03 AM   #16
Trnado_2.5
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: A3 Quattro
Do you guys think running an auxiliary oil cooler would help? Maybe take a little strain off the radiator?
Trnado_2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:16 AM   #17
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
have you checked your condenser fins? they might have been smashed from debris and rock chips that end up blocking airflow to the radiator. there was a member that had that problem and that fixed theirs

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showth...=106847&page=2
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | Fluidampr| OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | ST40| Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero | P3 |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:17 AM   #18
mraaf
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnado_2.5 View Post
Do you guys think running an auxiliary oil cooler would help? Maybe take a little strain off the radiator?
Yes it does, but still not enough. Water temp still rising.
Now I run a custom made dual pass front mounted 2 in 1 cooler (water & oil). Going to test it on next month's trackday
Old 01-10-2017, 03:09 AM   #19
red_stapler
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraaf View Post
Does anyone has tried deleting fog lamps and re-coding it? It might open up some air to the engine imo
The engine is not air cooled, so you want *all* the air flowing through the radiator.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:11 AM   #20
mraaf
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_stapler View Post
The engine is not air cooled, so you want *all* the air flowing through the radiator.
I think it is impossible for the radiator to have all cool air from the front as it is totally blocked by intercooler and a/c condenser. All it has is suction air from the cooling fan.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #21
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
You say the engine is not air cooled, but all the underhood temps come into play. The weather strip by the windshield isn't stealing air from the radiator. Bent condenser fins can be a real problem though. It is possible there is blockage inside the radiator or pump, have you mixed the coolant with another brand? It can turn to gel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #22
red_stapler
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraaf View Post
I think it is impossible for the radiator to have all cool air from the front as it is totally blocked by intercooler and a/c condenser.
The intercooler and condenser don't stop the air though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
You say the engine is not air cooled, but all the underhood temps come into play.
Underhood temps don't have much impact on coolant temp. Now if we were worried about the battery or electronics getting too hot, sure.

Quote:
The weather strip by the windshield isn't stealing air from the radiator.
It totally does though. Air wants to flow from an area of high pressure, in this case the front bumper opening, to an area of low pressure - the engine bay. By opening up the cowl, you're partially filling in that low pressure area in the engine bay with high pressure air from the base of the windshield instead of the front bumper opening.

I'll concede that it would help if OP was having trouble with the car overheating when sitting still.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #23
Cbell3186
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2011 DSG
Removing the weather stripping allows for more air to get through the engine bay, and the radiator. Vented hoods rely on the same principle.
Cbell3186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #24
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbell3186 View Post
Removing the weather stripping allows for more air to get through the engine bay, and the radiator. Vented hoods rely on the same principle.
I always remove mine for track days, but still have the heat problem.

I'm doing a number of things to try and combat it for this season.

Removing my neuspeed IC and replacing with a sandwich mount IC
Adding an oil cooler
Running 70%water/30% coolant instead of 50/50

Hoping that with doing all of that I won't have the problem anymore.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #25
RudolphTheRedNosedGTI
Autocross Champion

Drives: Mk6 GTI DE APR K04 6MT
I too am APR K04 and track very hard on road courses. If its warmer than 70*F outside, temps will get to 240+ very quickly, usually meaning I have to back off, and hopes for good times that day go down.

I have heard of others running a 70/30 mix of dist. water and coolant, but the owners manual states you should not run less than 60/40 dist. water and coolant. I was going to do a full coolant flush (to remove the possibility theres air in the thermostat as the radiator has been removed a few times now) and swap to that, as well as add water wetter.

Will report with findings
2013 VW GTI, APR K04 with PnP, Bilstein PSS-10s, Integrated Engineering Camber Plates, Brembo 17z and a bunch more. Wheelwell account: https://goo.gl/66oHvI Sponsored by bandittuning.com. Track race at Thunderhill Raceway and Laguna Seca
RudolphTheRedNosedGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:06 PM   #26
red_stapler
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbell3186 View Post
Vented hoods rely on the same principle in the opposite way. They take advantage of the low pressure area in the middle of the hood. The idea being to decrease pressure in the engine bay by having the air flow out. That does encourage air to flow through the cooling stack.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:46 PM   #27
GIACUser
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2008 MKV EFR7163
I would check all the obvious stuff.
1. radiator fins.
2. not familiar with that intercooler - did you alter the order of the radiator/intercooler
3. flush cooling system and radiator, stuff can accumulate and slow flow through radiator.

DSG does get very hot on a course and it shares the engine coolant so it can contribute to engine heat. I added a seperate DSG cooling system on my car for the track.

The best thing I have to fight heat is water meth, its like magic, you keep things cool and of course the benefit is your car isn't pulling a bunch of timing to protect the motor from all the extra heat that occurs when you drive on a track.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:48 AM   #28
WeekendWarriorz
Touring Car Champion

Drives: BMW Z4M
Quote:
Have you removed the hood weather strip by the wipers and insulation? I found that will dissipate much of the heat. Also try wrapping the intake pipe above the exhaust manifold. Lastly, I have a modified street shield that helps with airflow. I ran my k04 car pretty hard at VIR for 30 min stretches, DSG even, with no issue.

+1 on this, after i removed the weather strip my IAT went down almost 8 degrees. Also I noticed you have the unitronic intake which is not enclosed, hopefully you have the heat shield still on there or it could be heat soak city.

-2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster 6MT |FBO+E85| BBS RS-GT | VF-engineering |
-2011 BMW 335i X-Drive |FBO+E85| MHD Stage 2+ E30|
WeekendWarriorz is offline   Reply With Quote