GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Going to stage 2+ with intercooler on 2012 R w/68k miles

edlevy

I'm thinking about a catted downpipe, fuel pump, intercooler and, of course, the stage 2 file. My Mark VI R has 68,000 miles on it. Is the car too 'used' to make this kind of investment? Will it hasten it's eventual demise?

Thanks, Ed

skl007

Passed Driver's Ed
I would say you're fine. Warranty is gone anyways, so you might as well play around with it. That being said, whenever performance is added, you're most likely increasing wear.

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
You're fine plenty of people get tuned or even go bigger turbo at high miles. The engine on the R is also pretty bullet proof so you are fine. Unlike the gti the mk6 golf R has forged internals that are good up to something like 5 or 600 horsepower.

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
Be sure that the first thing you do is swap the cam follower. Otherwise, I'd say go for it.

MKJBM05

Passed Driver's Ed
Go for it man, stage 3 golf rs on the road close to 100k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wuc73

I'm looking to do the same. I'm in the same year and mileage. NGP says stock internals are good up to about 450-500 hp. Cam follower is a must though.

vdubbn

Don't forget the worthless stock clutch . I wanted to go Stage 2 but dollar to hp ratio too high to me.

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't forget the worthless stock clutch . I wanted to go Stage 2 but dollar to hp ratio too high to me.

You think? I welcome it coming from a G37S. I poured a solid amount of money into that car for okay gains on the N/A motor. It was a great platform though it handled so well.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
You think? I welcome it coming from a G37S. I poured a solid amount of money into that car for okay gains on the N/A motor. It was a great platform though it handled so well.

$/hp is a pretty narrow way to look at things because it only considers 1 point on the curve. What happens in between is pretty damn important. Think something like an intercooler where $/hp is zero... no added benefit when you look at it that way but in reality it is very beneficial.

bebersol

Ready to race!
Agree with the dude,

Also,think about doing the clutch at the same time, stock is probably pretty worn at 68K if it's the original, and going stage 2 will probably finish it off.

changchewsoon

Passed Driver's Ed
Stage 2+ 2013 Golf R owner here, yes I agree with the rest you definitely want to swap the cam follower.

Other than that, the car have not given me any problems at all.

The difference between stock and stage 2+ is day and night so that is self explanatory, some might argue that an intercooler upgrade does not increase any horsepower, but to me it is well worth as the hot climate here in my country can be very punishing when it gets nasty.

At least when I strap the car on the dyno and after multiple pulls you can see that the intercooler is a lot more resistant to heat soak.

I also added a layer of boron nitride to the intercooler surface as well to help dissipate heat quicker.

Zac#1

Ready to race!
Kinda on the same page here.

I had my car for a couple months now. She's at 42,000 miles but she has a odd history, which I later found out after purchasing. I guess the car was for sale for over a year here in So Cal by a VW dealer. They couldn't sell it. The car was then sent to a auction somewhere up state. Then within a month a used car salesman bought it, (the guy who I bought from) and he brought it back down here to So Cal. He had the car for 6 months!, then put it for sale. Kinda fishy. (Again I got all this info after purchase). The car had a little knock at idle, and I know some of these cars are known for that so I didnt think much of it. 2nd day of owning the car, check engine light comes on. I take it to the dealer, they said the car needed a long block, turbo and cat. $8,5000. I decided to get a second opinion, I take it to a shop who found the problem and noted that the car had all these aftermarket sealants on the engine. Which the dealer had told me too. First we did the cam follower, did nothing. Then swapped the fuel pump, nothing. Then we found this broken pin.

Swapped it, the engine runs smooth as butter. How this broke in the first place, I have no idea. The previous owner had installed a neuspeed power pulley, the car has an aftermarket boost gauge, and the rev limiter is disabled. But the car is making stock power. I'm guessing the last owner put it back to stock before he traded it? Not sure...

Now the aftermarket sealant on the engine has been replaced with OEM sealant by Pacific German which they had recommended should be done ASAP or engine failure could occur. I had my rotors and pads done as well. Everything about the car is to be dead solid now. At this point a hope I'm good for stage 2, and clutch of course. I know most of us here are APR guys but doesn't anyone have any input on Revo? I'm getting mixed reviews.

MKJBM05

Passed Driver's Ed
Kinda on the same page here.

I had my car for a couple months now. She's at 42,000 miles but she has a odd history, which I later found out after purchasing. I guess the car was for sale for over a year here in So Cal by a VW dealer. They couldn't sell it. The car was then sent to a auction somewhere up state. Then within a month a used car salesman bought it, (the guy who I bought from) and he brought it back down here to So Cal. He had the car for 6 months!, then put it for sale. Kinda fishy. (Again I got all this info after purchase). The car had a little knock at idle, and I know some of these cars are known for that so I didnt think much of it. 2nd day of owning the car, check engine light comes on. I take it to the dealer, they said the car needed a long block, turbo and cat. $8,5000. I decided to get a second opinion, I take it to a shop who found the problem and noted that the car had all these aftermarket sealants on the engine. Which the dealer had told me too. First we did the cam follower, did nothing. Then swapped the fuel pump, nothing. Then we found this broken pin.

Swapped it, the engine runs smooth as butter. How this broke in the first place, I have no idea. The previous owner had installed a neuspeed power pulley, the car has an aftermarket boost gauge, and the rev limiter is disabled. But the car is making stock power. I'm guessing the last owner put it back to stock before he traded it? Not sure...

Now the aftermarket sealant on the engine has been replaced with OEM sealant by Pacific German which they had recommended should be done ASAP or engine failure could occur. I had my rotors and pads done as well. Everything about the car is to be dead solid now. At this point a hope I'm good for stage 2, and clutch of course. I know most of us here are APR guys but doesn't anyone have any input on Revo? I'm getting mixed reviews.

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. As far as Stage 2 goes I've been APR for the last 2 years, and don't feel impressed. According to everyone in the forum, the best tune to get for this car is either Integrated Engineering or United Motorsports. So I'd stick to that.