GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > In Car Entertainment, Electronics, Navigation, Phone (Audio / Video / Electronics / Etc..)

Old 04-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #29
mr wrong
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2017 Golf Alltrack
I currently have the RNS-315 with two Alpine amplifiers.. I'm curious if this would still be straight plug and play.. Also is that the mic on the bottom left row or does it use the factory overhead mic.. Interested in hands free call quality as well.

Oh one more thing.. Is the Bluetooth built in or would I need the separate module?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #30
theunholy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 GTI Black Wolfsburg DSG/K04
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****2.0t View Post
How does the backup camera work with it? I have the OEM camera and I'm not seeing any port for the 26 pin connector unless I'm majorly missing something?
Ha I have Scirocco back up camera too on my GTI, this headunit uses the MK7 type connector for the RVC, so you will need to buy two adapters. One is from our connector to AV, the other is from AV to new MK7 style.
I had this but the color is way off, so I put my RNS 510 for the mean time.
---APR K04 V3.1. APR Downpipe. Godspeed V2 intercooler. OZ Utraleggera. Stoptech ST40 BBK. Milltek Catback. Autotech Clubsport/DG springs. BSH 27mm RSB. WALK kit. 034 Billet Insert/motor/tran mount. AFE stage 2 intake. Unltronic DV relocation. OEM bi-xenon Conversion. Rear footwell. Depo LED tails. OEM euro front lip. Ebay fender flares.
theunholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #31
theunholy
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wrong View Post
I currently have the RNS-315 with two Alpine amplifiers.. I'm curious if this would still be straight plug and play.. Also is that the mic on the bottom left row or does it use the factory overhead mic.. Interested in hands free call quality as well.

Oh one more thing.. Is the Bluetooth built in or would I need the separate module?

Bluetooth and Mic is built in, the phone quality is ok. I'm not sure how its goes with the aftermarket amps tho
---APR K04 V3.1. APR Downpipe. Godspeed V2 intercooler. OZ Utraleggera. Stoptech ST40 BBK. Milltek Catback. Autotech Clubsport/DG springs. BSH 27mm RSB. WALK kit. 034 Billet Insert/motor/tran mount. AFE stage 2 intake. Unltronic DV relocation. OEM bi-xenon Conversion. Rear footwell. Depo LED tails. OEM euro front lip. Ebay fender flares.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #32
mr wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunholy View Post
Bluetooth and Mic is built in, the phone quality is ok. I'm not sure how its goes with the aftermarket amps tho
I'll let you know in the next few weeks.. Just pulled the trigger.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #33
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Quote:

I also have a JL Cleansweep, a 4 channel amp for all of the door speakers (which are Alpine Components) and a single channel amp for the sub. So we should be figuring all of this out around the same time!
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #34
Mr_Dog
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 GLI
Quote:
How does the backup camera work with it? I have the OEM camera and I'm not seeing any port for the 26 pin connector unless I'm majorly missing something?
You would have to buy the new OEM one, can be bought online for $20 with the unit.

I got mine for $200 with the RVC and shipping included. The seller also offered Group shipping if you guys wanted to organize a group buy.
Mr_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:07 PM   #35
Mr_Dog
Autocross Champion

Quote:
I'll let you know in the next few weeks.. Just pulled the trigger.

awesome! Let us know if you guys figure something out.

I am assuming what ever workaround you do, will also work with the Fender audio amps.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #36
theunholy
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dog View Post
You would have to buy the new OEM one, can be bought online for $20 with the unit.

I got mine for $200 with the RVC and shipping included. The seller also offered Group shipping if you guys wanted to organize a group buy.
You don't have to buy a new one, he already has OEM camera so I don't think he want to go through all the hassle to get it wired again. There are adapter which can lets you change from 26 pin to yellow AV output, and another adapter from yellow AV to the new MK7 RVC plug.

Like this :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Volkswage...8AAOSwDmBY3jN~

To this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIB-RCD330-Rear-View-Camera-RVC-Cable-Adaptor-For-Volkswagen-Jetta-Passat-Tiguan-/282157296614?hash=item41b1e2abe6:g4IAAOSwFV9XyAd q&vxp=mtr
Old 04-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #37
jontalk
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 VW Golf, manual, coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dog View Post
Just to chime in.

Has this installed in our Jetta and it is leaps and bounds better than the old RCD-510 or RNS-315.

It is capacitive touch so the feel is just amazing. The UI is also so much nicer and modern. The bluetooth functionality is much better. The larger screen is also nice and the rearview camera looks awesome on it.

Only downside is no MFD display or upgraded audio.

If you have a RCD-310,RCD-510, RNS-315. I would say it is a no brainer upgrade. The RNS-510 might be worth keeping if you really need NAV.
"Only downside is no MFD display or upgraded audio"...Does this mean it doesn't sound any better than stock? The ONLY reason I want to upgrade is for a better sounding HU along with CD changer, touch screen and Bluetooth ability which the Premium 7 has neither. For some odd reason my car has the 9w2 Bluetooth module under the passenger seat but I can't use it because of the entry level head unit. Thanks
jontalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:35 PM   #38
theunholy
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
"Only downside is no MFD display or upgraded audio"...Does this mean it doesn't sound any better than stock? The ONLY reason I want to upgrade is for a better sounding HU along with CD changer, touch screen and Bluetooth ability which the Premium 7 has neither. For some odd reason my car has the 9w2 Bluetooth module under the passenger seat but I can't use it because of the entry level head unit. Thanks
Yes, no MFD display. The audio quality is probably about the same as RCD510. BTW this unit does not have CD changer.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #39
Mr_Dog
Autocross Champion

Quote:
You don't have to buy a new one, he already has OEM camera so I don't think he want to go through all the hassle to get it wired again. There are adapter which can lets you change from 26 pin to yellow AV output, and another adapter from yellow AV to the new MK7 RVC plug.

Like this :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Volkswage...8AAOSwDmBY3jN~

To this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIB-RCD330-R...9XyAdq&vxp=mtr

Oh nice, did not know that but still might be worth rewiring.
It is not to much of a hassel, maybe an hour or 2.

Considering the new one is $20. You can probably sell the old one for $50-$80. Instead of spending $60 for the adapters.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #40
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
I bought the adapter at the same time I bought the HU. I figured I already needed to RCA cable even if my camera doesn't work, and the adapter was $6 from Fakra to RCA. If the adapter doesn't work I'll just buy another camera.

I bought this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281893709985...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And the Yellow RCA to the MK7 style unit comes with the radio according to the description, so I didn't need to buy that one!
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #41
theunholy
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
I bought the adapter at the same time I bought the HU. I figured I already needed to RCA cable even if my camera doesn't work, and the adapter was $6 from Fakra to RCA. If the adapter doesn't work I'll just buy another camera.

I bought this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281893709985...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And the Yellow RCA to the MK7 style unit comes with the radio according to the description, so I didn't need to buy that one!
or get this one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MIB-...b-d645e457f1e0
Old 04-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #42
mr wrong

Quote:
Is there a cheaper option? That's more than I spent on the headunit..