GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > In Car Entertainment, Electronics, Navigation, Phone (Audio / Video / Electronics / Etc..)


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2018, 08:30 AM   #1219
veigy
Ready to race!
 
Drives: Octavia II
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 16
I'm going to do same USB mod. If u share same picture It would be great.
veigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #1220
spicypiel
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: Golf Mk5 GT TDI 170ps
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybasic View Post
I finally got round to soldering in a rear USB output, so much neater.

I have routed a cable all the way to the armrest and have ordered a slide-in dock for it. I wanted a dock that fits in the MDI box neatly, wasn't ugly, fits a lightning cable, could be adjusted for cases and different sized phones, and could be used one handed; I'm a fussy f*cker.

I also plan (and this is probably overkill) to have a USB port in the console in front of the gear lever, and then a console switch to swap between the 2 - so as not to overload the unit. The reason for this it to have the option of having a cable connection up front as well as a hidden dock in the armrest.

I'm currently researching this last part as it's a little out my comfort zone. Saying that, soldering the USB onto the circuit board was very tricky, the pins are so small and close together, I thought it was never going to work. All good though team, it worked, don't worry.

And to finish off I bought some cheeky anti-duct covers for the ports on the head unit - USB, SD and Audio ports. Neat. I tried some matte vinyl to cover the USB but wasn't satisfied with the result.

My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts dedicating so much time to a flipping car stereo.

If anyone's interested, I'll post up some pics once I've finished.
In terms of overloading are we worried about power draw? (which seems to be 1amp) or the fact two data devices are connected at once? You're making me want to get out my usb hub and see what happens with a usb stick and a phone at the same time... I suspect it'll be fine and the usb stick will draw like 200mA and the phone will get 800mA.

If this is the case you could potentially splice in a dedicated 12v car usb charger and take the power from that for the second port, so the power is exclusively on the other port.

It's also how I was tempted to add a qualcomm quickcharge 3 fast charging port while retaining the data connection...

Just a thought if you wanted multiple USB. Again it does make me wonder what happens with two devices, in theory linux under it won't care - it'll depend how the head unit is programmed to respond to USB devices I guess.
spicypiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:56 AM   #1221
veigy
Ready to race!
 
Drives: Octavia II
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 16
I measured voltage and current of the USB port on the front and it was about 5.2V and 1.5A what is quite nice.

Today I have did some further VCDS label file studying. Did some further editing. Changes are online on OneDrive link I posted previosly. I added start-up volume to Adaptation, but on 187B doesn't working. Someone can try it on 187A.

I have not done any progress in term of start-up volume. Gala is ON, the HU is able to access to speed of car, but it seems not working. But I have never got GALA working on any car I owned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180122_144406.jpg (319.3 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by veigy; 01-22-2018 at 10:17 AM.
veigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #1222
spicypiel
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: Golf Mk5 GT TDI 170ps
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 114
GALA worked on my factory fitted RCD500 in the mk5. Was hoping it'd work in the RCD330 plus too!

Mind you it forgets static volumes let alone the skill to adjust based on a variable

Do we know if the 3.5mm jack on the front also carries microphone in? The back of the panel indicates 4 pins so I'm assuming it can take ground, left, right, and mic.
spicypiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #1223
spopinski
Go Kart Champion
 
Drives: Golf MK6 1.4 TSi
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybasic View Post
I finally got round to soldering in a rear USB output, so much neater.

I have routed a cable all the way to the armrest and have ordered a slide-in dock for it. I wanted a dock that fits in the MDI box neatly, wasn't ugly, fits a lightning cable, could be adjusted for cases and different sized phones, and could be used one handed; I'm a fussy f*cker.

I also plan (and this is probably overkill) to have a USB port in the console in front of the gear lever, and then a console switch to swap between the 2 - so as not to overload the unit. The reason for this it to have the option of having a cable connection up front as well as a hidden dock in the armrest.

I'm currently researching this last part as it's a little out my comfort zone. Saying that, soldering the USB onto the circuit board was very tricky, the pins are so small and close together, I thought it was never going to work. All good though team, it worked, don't worry.

And to finish off I bought some cheeky anti-duct covers for the ports on the head unit - USB, SD and Audio ports. Neat. I tried some matte vinyl to cover the USB but wasn't satisfied with the result.

My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts dedicating so much time to a flipping car stereo.

If anyone's interested, I'll post up some pics once I've finished.
Yes, for the whole process if you don't mind.
spopinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #1224
bobbybasic
Ready to race!
 
Drives: Golf GT TSI
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Brighton & Hove
Posts: 24
Quick heads-up for anyone wishing to do the USB mod, don't trust the coloured wires in these cheap cables: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-USB-PO...-/222193640461

They may be the correct colours (black, red, white, green) but they are not wired to the correct pins. Use a multi meter.
bobbybasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #1225
spicypiel
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: Golf Mk5 GT TDI 170ps
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 114
Yeah I found this out to my dismay yesterday when I wired up a cable, trusted colour matching and it went quite wrong.
spicypiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #1226
speeding_ant
Drag Race Newbie
 
Drives: 2011 Golf GTI
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NZ
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybasic View Post
Quick heads-up for anyone wishing to do the USB mod, don't trust the coloured wires in these cheap cables: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-USB-PO...-/222193640461

They may be the correct colours (black, red, white, green) but they are not wired to the correct pins. Use a multi meter.
Yep - that's what I found. Multi meter required.
speeding_ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #1227
bobbybasic
Ready to race!
 
Drives: Golf GT TSI
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Brighton & Hove
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicypiel View Post
Yeah I found this out to my dismay yesterday when I wired up a cable, trusted colour matching and it went quite wrong.


Did it kill anything or just not work?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bobbybasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #1228
spicypiel
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: Golf Mk5 GT TDI 170ps
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 114
Phone just didn't work, most devices are equipped to deal with 500mA (the max a usb port should offer prior to negotiating more power).

Realistically though it's best not to find out! Use the multimeter.
spicypiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #1229
Atsiki
Go Kart Champion
 
Drives: Golf
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bahama
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybasic View Post
Quick heads-up for anyone wishing to do the USB mod, don't trust the coloured wires in these cheap cables: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-USB-PO...-/222193640461

They may be the correct colours (black, red, white, green) but they are not wired to the correct pins. Use a multi meter.
Here
This is More Clear Maybe





Left then right —->

1 ) Black
2 ) Red
3 ) Green
4 ) White







Last edited by Atsiki; 01-22-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Atsiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #1230
spicypiel
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: Golf Mk5 GT TDI 170ps
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 114
Anyone going to risk wiring up the AUX extension??
spicypiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #1231
rottgrub
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2015 VW Beetle R-Line Convertible
Join Date: May 2017
Location: PA
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by veigy View Post
I measured voltage and current of the USB port on the front and it was about 5.2V and 1.5A what is quite nice.

Today I have did some further VCDS label file studying. Did some further editing. Changes are online on OneDrive link I posted previosly. I added start-up volume to Adaptation, but on 187B doesn't working. Someone can try it on 187A.

I have not done any progress in term of start-up volume. Gala is ON, the HU is able to access to speed of car, but it seems not working. But I have never got GALA working on any car I owned.
For those of us using OBDEleven, rather than VCDS, is there any way you could show some of the labels in the interface, or with a simple chart with the bits shown?

I can do long coding, but I don't think there is any way to pull in your label file.

Thanks!
rottgrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:23 AM   #1232
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion
 
APRMK6GTi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsiki View Post
Here
This is More Clear Maybe





Left then right ->

1 ) Black
2 ) Red
3 ) Green
4 ) White






sweet, thanks for your pic and labeling out the different color wires!
__________________
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | Fluidampr| OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | ST40| Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero | P3 |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.