GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

QUATER MILE NEWBIE ADVISE NEEDED!!

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
Iv never been down the quarter mile and i plan on going april 28th. I want to know what i should expect. Il list my mods below. What RPMs should i launch at? How many psi should i put in my tires. Should i do a burn out in 1st gear? Do i let my car cool off after a run?
I would like to mention all parts were installed at once. I went from stock to k04 and have about 400 miles of break in on all parts listed below. Should I wait longer before i go down the quarter mile? Thanks for your help.

Mod list:
Apr k04 Turbo
Apr 100oct tune v3.2
Apr Downpipe
Apr launch control
Apr stage 1&2 intake
RSR DIY Clutch Kit
Clutch masters Throw out bearing with SS line
1,2,3,&4th stainless steel fork shift links
Mfactory LSD
034 motorsports engine, trans mount, Pendulum mount, and bilet insert.
Neuspeed Turbo outlet pipe
Audi S3 intercooler
Audi R8 coil packs
225/50/16 Hoosier Drag Radial 2 on 16x7.5 5x112 16.5LBS wheels

Last edited:

red_stapler

Ready to race!
Iv never been down the quarter mile and i plan on going april 28th. I want to know what i should expect.

Watch this video about 20 times so that you don't get to the burnout box and have no idea what to do.

I don't think they mention having a helmet. At NHRA tracks you need a helmet meeting Snell 2010, or 2015 Specs if you run 13.99 or quicker.

What RPMs should i launch at?

Probably higher than you think. The launch area of the drag strip is very sticky with other people's rubber and traction adhesive. You'll have to play with it to find the right balance between bogging down and wheelspin.

How many psi should i put in my tires. Should i do a burn out in 1st gear?

There's a bit of science involved to figure that stuff out. I'd go on Hoosier's website and see if they have any recommendations.

Do i let my car cool off after a run?

Ideally you'll have a chilled intercooler and a hot engine block. Why a hot engine block? You want the piston rings expanded and sealing all that power in.

have about 400 miles of break in on all parts listed below. Should I wait longer before i go down the quarter mile?

Dedicated racecars do their break-in at the drag strip. You'll be fine.

Last edited:

Jaber

Modero
Find out where the nearest gas station is. You don't want to run out of gas or be near empty and have to call it quits early on. Some people don't like running with a full tank (weight savings), so they'll try to get there with half a tank or 1/4 left.

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
Find out where the nearest gas station is. You don't want to run out of gas or be near empty and have to call it quits early on. Some people don't like running with a full tank (weight savings), so they'll try to get there with half a tank or 1/4 left.

Just took a look at the near by gas stations and the drag way has there own gas station witch is really convenient. :w00t: Thanks for the tip. ;)

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
Do a burn out until tires start to haze dont want to over heat them.
Launch at a higher rpm and work way down for sweet spot. If you start to low bog you can potentially break stuff.

Good to know. I was going to start launching around 2500 to 3000 RPMs. I thought haze on tires was bad but i guess its only bad for street tires?

Last edited:

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
So I didnt get to go to the dragway because of some issues with my RMS. Good news is i got it fixed and i installed my 034 motorsports engine and transmission mount. I can definitely tell the difference. I also have the 100 octane file. But still curious to know what else i should know or do at the track? BTW Thanks for the other posts all the information was very helpful.

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Just go there and have fun. you will learn what to do after your first couple passes.

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
Just want to give you guys an update. I went to the 1/4 mile today and i had so much fun!!:happyanim::happyanim:

The car held up pretty good no issues whats so ever. Only did 3 runs. 1st & 2nd run i was testing the waters. I let the other drivers go than i took off. I was the only VW and i ran better times than a lot of cars that have way more power. 3rd run i actually lined up to race the other car and actually won. Over all i had so much fun. Thanks for all of you who gave me advise it really helped out.:w00t: