GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 05-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #15
kelbywest
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by intellistar View Post
I did a comparison video awhile back with my Billy Boat exhaust:

I am eventually planning on doing the reverse of deleting the mufflers and keeping the resonator, but it's going to be some time as I am currently saving up for other parts.
Wow, thanks for the video! That was quite a difference between the two. Both sounded great but the deleted resonator sounded better IMO. Did you experience any drone increase or anything when deleting it? I have an appointment Monday for it.

Since you're going for the muffler delete, would you recommend doing the muffler delete over the resonator all together? The guy at the exhaust shop said a resonator delete should make it around 10-20% louder, but a muffler delete would be more work + increase the drone a good amount.
kelbywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:13 PM   #16
intellistar
Oval Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI 6MT DBP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbywest View Post
Wow, thanks for the video! That was quite a difference between the two. Both sounded great but the deleted resonator sounded better IMO. Did you experience any drone increase or anything when deleting it? I have an appointment Monday for it.

Since you're going for the muffler delete, would you recommend doing the muffler delete over the resonator all together? The guy at the exhaust shop said a resonator delete should make it around 10-20% louder, but a muffler delete would be more work + increase the drone a good amount.
I think it depends on your priorities. Right now with my non-resonated setup, the two noises that bother me are the diesel-like rattle that I hear when moving from a stop, and the gear lash (I have a SMFW) that I hear on throttle lift after moderate-heavy acceleration.

Regarding drone, although it might be worse for back seat passengers (that's what some passengers have told me), the amount of drone that I hear from the driver seat below 3K RPM is minimal. (I should note that I have the Soundaktor disconnected which makes a huge difference.) Cruising at speed limits is therefore not an issue. If you like to cruise at 85+mph (or stay in lower gears), then you will likely notice the drone, but it's different for everyone.

It's been awhile since I ran the resonator, but I recall it was much quieter moving from stop. (I think I really started noticing the take-off noise post resonator delete.) On the gear lash side, I am hoping that smoothed exhaust pulses will reduce the amount of noise on throttle lift. I could technically test the effects of the resonator now (I bought a resonator delete pipe directly from BillyBoat, so I have both setups), but my free time is a bit limited on the weekends.

What I actually plan on doing with the muffler delete is actually buying the rearmost portion of the Mk5 "sport" exhaust from Billy Boat. While I'm not crazy on weight savings like some people on this forum, the Mk5 version is single exit, so there would be the weight savings of removing one side of piping and 2 heavy mufflers in addition to potentially getting the sound volume and tone I am looking for. (I have been watching a lot of Mk5 B&B vids recently, and it seems to be spot on, but it's always different in person.)

If drone is your enemy, then the theory says you should not be removing the resonator and you should remove the mufflers. The primary purpose of a resonator is to remove drone; the primary purpose of a muffler is to reduce sound levels. Of course, my experience is that adding a resonator does reduce the sound level, and I am going to guess that deleting the mufflers will contribute to drone.
intellistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:51 AM   #17
kelbywest
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by intellistar View Post
I think it depends on your priorities. Right now with my non-resonated setup, the two noises that bother me are the diesel-like rattle that I hear when moving from a stop, and the gear lash (I have a SMFW) that I hear on throttle lift after moderate-heavy acceleration.

Regarding drone, although it might be worse for back seat passengers (that's what some passengers have told me), the amount of drone that I hear from the driver seat below 3K RPM is minimal. (I should note that I have the Soundaktor disconnected which makes a huge difference.) Cruising at speed limits is therefore not an issue. If you like to cruise at 85+mph (or stay in lower gears), then you will likely notice the drone, but it's different for everyone.

It's been awhile since I ran the resonator, but I recall it was much quieter moving from stop. (I think I really started noticing the take-off noise post resonator delete.) On the gear lash side, I am hoping that smoothed exhaust pulses will reduce the amount of noise on throttle lift. I could technically test the effects of the resonator now (I bought a resonator delete pipe directly from BillyBoat, so I have both setups), but my free time is a bit limited on the weekends.

What I actually plan on doing with the muffler delete is actually buying the rearmost portion of the Mk5 "sport" exhaust from Billy Boat. While I'm not crazy on weight savings like some people on this forum, the Mk5 version is single exit, so there would be the weight savings of removing one side of piping and 2 heavy mufflers in addition to potentially getting the sound volume and tone I am looking for. (I have been watching a lot of Mk5 B&B vids recently, and it seems to be spot on, but it's always different in person.)

If drone is your enemy, then the theory says you should not be removing the resonator and you should remove the mufflers. The primary purpose of a resonator is to remove drone; the primary purpose of a muffler is to reduce sound levels. Of course, my experience is that adding a resonator does reduce the sound level, and I am going to guess that deleting the mufflers will contribute to drone.
In the end, I'm looking to make mine a decent amount louder. I'm not looking for any super loud/obnoxious sounding exhaust. I guess I just want some more "oomf" to it. I've been told by friends that when passing them, you can hear it, but it apparently it isn't like a "neck breaker" so to speak. The shop talked about doing a trial run by removing the rear part of the exhaust to show me what it would sound like without the muffler, but they're pretty sure the resonator delete would be better in the end.
kelbywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #18
intellistar
Oval Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI 6MT DBP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbywest View Post
In the end, I'm looking to make mine a decent amount louder. I'm not looking for any super loud/obnoxious sounding exhaust. I guess I just want some more "oomf" to it. I've been told by friends that when passing them, you can hear it, but it apparently it isn't like a "neck breaker" so to speak. The shop talked about doing a trial run by removing the rear part of the exhaust to show me what it would sound like without the muffler, but they're pretty sure the resonator delete would be better in the end.
Exhaust sound is always a bit of a difficult one since perception varies pretty wildly. The difference in construction and types of resonators/mufflers used will also change the effects of deleting one drastically. Generally, it seems most people prefer the resonator delete, which is also why that was the method I tried at first.

I will say that I thought it was a significant improvement when I first deleted the resonator, and it was only a bit more recently that I started to be less happy with it. I think my ideal exhaust would be one of those active systems that have a bypass valve, so that I could switch depending on my mood. Unfortunately, those options were limited when I was searching 4-5 years ago, and I'm not really looking to buy another entire system at this point (which is why I've just been messing about with swapping out sections).

Since you run an aftermarket DP, the resonator delete might actually be the more sensible solution if you are concerned with sound volume. I am currently running the stock DP, so I can afford to go a bit louder on the catback side since the setup is still comparatively quiet.
intellistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:42 AM   #19
DarienMidnight
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 vw gti 4dr autobahn
Smile

THIS is exactly what i was looking for! I have been running a 2.5 inch AWE catback since March 2017 so 9 or so months. it was nice WOT. but cruising sleeper as can be. and a little oomf only after i been pushing it. it was just time to get something louder. Also im DSG. and this catback in particular destroyed my lovely DSG fart sound.

Last week I decided to finally go stage 2. So now i run a 3 inch APR catted downpipe with a 2.5 inch AWE catback. Now idk if the shop just were lazy bastards but i got a bad rattle the first few days which i confused for crackling and whatnot right at 1800 1900 rpm. and was noticeable immediately after WOT. They fixed it at the end of the week. much less rattle but i hear it ever so slightly after hard throttle. (i really wish it was crackling instead..or is it?)

Anyway the exhaust sounds lovely and my DSG farts even though im catted is back and its phenomenal. BUT. for some reason i have an itch to make it a tad bit louder WITHOUT destroying the sound. I wanted to see what its like to delete the resonator off the AWE catback. based on what i read here. i just might give it a go in a few months.

If the sounds is totally a mistake. there should be no issue welding back on the aftermarket resonator right? my exhaust is already seeming to be like a living Frankenstein lol

Also is anyone running an exhaust like mine (3 inch DP and 2.5 inch catback)where the diameters arent the same from front to back? any fitnment issues or occasional rattling ?

APR stage 2 / r8 coils / APR stage 1&2 intake / AWE CBE/ APR catted DP so basically i have and APE TBE ( FMOIG: YoungRios_ )
DarienMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #20
DarienMidnight
Autocross Champion

So anyone ? .....I went to get a quote today and he said around 100 bucks. I already have an aftermarket catback. And he said it would be an issue because I have stainless steel . They only weld aluminum ...so they can cut it out and put aluminum there but rust would form ...and they can't weld the resonator back on ...what gives ?

APR stage 2 / r8 coils / APR stage 1&2 intake / AWE CBE/ APR catted DP so basically i have and APE TBE ( FMOIG: YoungRios_ )
Old 03-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #21
ramman61
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2013 mk6 gti dsg
A shop, where I live, told me 70 and u would think there would be no problem welding it back in.

2013 DSG Deep pearl Black gti

Revo Stage 2,ECS tuning DownPipe,Neuspeed P-flo, niche Milan m135 19x8.5, H&R sports for a 2015 gti(it's complicated), R8 coils
ramman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #22
DarienMidnight
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman61 View Post
A shop, where I live, told me 70 and u would think there would be no problem welding it back in.
Yea it's very frustrating. .. I spoke with 2 more reputable shops. They both can weld steel . But one said 180 minus parts etc...smh.....the other said 150 if it's a straight section ...does this sound like a No Go?

Old 03-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #23
ramman61
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2013 mk6 gti dsg
funny thing is I asked the same shop from before to put a vibrant resonator in and they told me 60 to do it the shops around you are overpriced to hell

2013 DSG Deep pearl Black gti

Revo Stage 2,ECS tuning DownPipe,Neuspeed P-flo, niche Milan m135 19x8.5, H&R sports for a 2015 gti(it's complicated), R8 coils
ramman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #24
DarienMidnight
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman61 View Post
funny thing is I asked the same shop from before to put a vibrant resonator in and they told me 60 to do it the shops around you are overpriced to hell
I know there's a 3rd shop that's really good but they said they only Weld aluminum. ..and couldn't weld my steel resonator back on if I wanted to change back . They charge 100 . There's a 4th shop that would probably be the cheapest Called Tony exhaust ..but I'm only going to consider Zury Fabrications($150).... JE performance(~$180)....or Mid Atlantic muffler and brake ($100) ...all very good shops ..but like again Mid Atlantic can't weld steel which is upsetting ...