GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Almost Traded my MK6 for an RS today

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Hello Everyone, your input.

My local Ford Dealer has a White RS that I have been eye balling for a while. It was in their show room with a mark up and no one was buying it. I stopped by yesterday for shits and giggles and now the mark up is off and they wanted to make a deal with me. I was on the fence, looking at about $500 a month for 72 months to have it. I ended up walking out. Was I stupid?

See, my MK6 GTI is mint. Never modded has 47k miles on it and besides the OEM LED tails and front spoiler is completely stock. Not a nick on it all OEM paint and well is nearly perfect as a car almost 5 yrs old can be, mine is a 2013. I own my GTI outright, no payments, and my insurance is fairly cheap.

I sold my 2006 Evo 9 MR to buy the GTI in 2013. Not because I wanted to, but due to divorce. I thought the GTI would satisfy my need for speed so to speak, but have found it falls a little short, but is a great car overall. Deep down I still had this hope of more. I think its just how I had to sell my Evo and that never settled well with me.

Fast forward to now, Could I afford the $500 a month for the RS? Yes. Money of course would be a little tighter, but I could do it, but part of me, maybe the rational side is saying, your older now, you have been there done that and now you have a practically new GTI sitting in the garage with ZERO payment and that is money in the bank. I can actually SAVE money for once in my life vs spending it.

So I am hear for council for my addiction to cars. It really is an addiction and I need help. So i am reaching out to my VW community for support. Did I do the right thing? Or am I just getting older and wiser? Or should I say "F" it you only life once live the dream one more time. Opinions will vary by age group I realize this, I am in my mid 40's and have owned 4 Evo's since 2003-2012. I am happy with the GTI, just feel like something is missing that a tune and some good tires just wont fix. Yet, it would be stupid to spend the money. Right?

Your Thoughts?

Jeff

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Always something out there faster. If you can afford it go for it, but don't put yourself in a compromising financial position for a car.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Problem is your GTI is stock. Mine will take on an RS. AWD saps too much power. GTI Is more upscale than the ford. I couldn't imagine me buying anything ford period. I'll buy an R over an RS. The RS is pretty much maxed out from the factory from what I've seen when they tune them. My car is paid off too and only has 41k so I'll ride it till about 90-100k and sell it. Which should be about another 4-5 years. I'll buy a chevy over a ford but that's just me. I don't like American cars though, so It would be my last option. Get a tune and you'll see that missing feeling go away. Your slacking. Hope this helps!

Ps: DSG FTW, can't get that on the ford!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
how much faster are you looking to go? if you can easily afford it then its a tough decision but if youre enjoying no monthly car payment, why not try stage 2 or k04 in the GTI? you might be pleasantly suprised

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
how much faster are you looking to go? if you can easily afford it then its a tough decision but if youre enjoying no monthly car payment, why not try stage 2 or k04 in the GTI? you might be pleasantly suprised

If he jumps straight to k04 he will forget about the RS lol. It's the turbo the gti should come with stock!

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for your replies everyone much appreciated. I'm no rich guy quite the opposite, divorced, kids fixed income but cars have always been something that has helped me feel better. I used to do allot of SCCA Solo II events in my past Evos is why I considered the RS. It is very similar in performance and not having to give up the hatchback. The Subaru STI can be had for about $5k cheaper than an RS though.

I have thought about doing things to the GTI but getting a FWD car to lay power down on a track is not easy. Will take allot of trial and error with tires, suspension and for that power I would need to swap Turbos and all kinds of stuff. It still would be cheaper than buying a new car but guys how well is this car going to hold up with these mods? I mean there are people running Stage 2 tunes with stock head studs for goodness sakes. Add a k04 and a tune? Head studs and such will be a necessity. Amongst other things.

I just don't know how reliable a modded TSI would be compared to something turn key like an STI or an RS?

I really like the GTI I'm not mocking it just not sure if I want to put big money into a FWD platform is all.

Money wise I could swing the payments but and I say but it would be nice to save money. Cars and modding cars is a sickness. Keeping my GTI stock has not been easy but after seeing so many failures of VW parts over the years I didn't have the confidence to mod this car as I did in past cars. Does that make sense?

I don't want to sound like a douchebag or anything I am just trying for once in my life make a good decision with a car. I don't want to be impulsive and have buyer's remorse either. Been there done that.

Reaching out to the forums has always helped me and I do appreciate your opinions and advise.

Jeff

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for your replies everyone much appreciated. I'm no rich guy quite the opposite, divorced, kids fixed income but cars have always been something that has helped me feel better. I used to do allot of SCCA Solo II events in my past Evos is why I considered the RS. It is very similar in performance and not having to give up the hatchback. The Subaru STI can be had for about $5k cheaper than an RS though.

I have thought about doing things to the GTI but getting a FWD car to lay power down on a track is not easy. Will take allot of trial and error with tires, suspension and for that power I would need to swap Turbos and all kinds of stuff. It still would be cheaper than buying a new car but guys how well is this car going to hold up with these mods? I mean there are people running Stage 2 tunes with stock head studs for goodness sakes. Add a k04 and a tune? Head studs and such will be a necessity. Amongst other things.

I just don't know how reliable a modded TSI would be compared to something turn key like an STI or an RS?

I really like the GTI I'm not mocking it just not sure if I want to put big money into a FWD platform is all.

Money wise I could swing the payments but and I say but it would be nice to save money. Cars and modding cars is a sickness. Keeping my GTI stock has not been easy but after seeing so many failures of VW parts over the years I didn't have the confidence to mod this car as I did in past cars. Does that make sense?

I don't want to sound like a douchebag or anything I am just trying for once in my life make a good decision with a car. I don't want to be impulsive and have buyer's remorse either. Been there done that.

Reaching out to the forums has always helped me and I do appreciate your opinions and advise.

Jeff

Yeah modding my cars and cars in general make me feel good too. More power more happy lol.

With K04 you don't need no head work or engine work. I put 60,000 on my last mk5 gti with K04. Rock solid except a rad fan and leaking rad. Nothing related to K04. If you do some suspension work, good tires, and k04 you'll be happy. Not saying to race people from a dead stop but you will have some good highway runs and a shit ton of passing power.

Your car has low mileage so take advantage and do it now if possible. Also if you're worried about reliability just do timing chain tensioner if you have the old one. But you still have low milage so don't worry too much. Water pump are the only things to worry about after that. But no big deal, just usually a small leak and most have extended warranty.

Lol at you talking about ford reliability. [emoji23]

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
the stock components seem to hold up just fine for people running k04. They're handling my stage 2 so far with ease. A 2013 should already have the updated timing chain tensioner. If you properly maintain this car, its plenty reliable. I can understand wanting to get rid of FWD but Id get an R or STI over the RS.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
K04 + the right tune, LSD, the right suspension, upgrade the clutch, catch can optional FMIC, good tires and the right attitude and i can see you forgetting all about that RS as you pull G's on the track...those are all the things i want to to myself. and with $500 per month I'd say you have the time to build the right monster and not have keep going for another 60 months...which means you have money to put away for kids college/university or trip to Disney...

I may be wrong but i think you know why you walked out of the dealership... no matter how good it sounds parting with that money monthly might come back to haunt you a lil bit after the grin on your face wears off......

FF_animal

Ready to race!
I say you made a wise move walking away from the rs if your concerned about the 500 a month. Not that I really care about resale value on a car but giving up a car that is already paid for with low mileage for a car that looks better on paper but will put you in car payment debt isn't worth it in my opinion. Considering cars depreciate like crazy why not just use the money you would spend on payments and interest and have some fun with the gti finally. 5 years of ownership and no mods I say you start placing some orders and have fun. Don't give your money to a dealer or bank pay your self and get some sweeeet mods.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
K04 + the right tune, LSD, the right suspension, upgrade the clutch, catch can optional FMIC, good tires and the right attitude and i can see you forgetting all about that RS as you pull G's on the track...those are all the things i want to to myself. and with $500 per month I'd say you have the time to build the right monster and not have keep going for another 60 months...which means you have money to put away for kids college/university or trip to Disney...

I may be wrong but i think you know why you walked out of the dealership... no matter how good it sounds parting with that money monthly might come back to haunt you a lil bit after the grin on your face wears off......

I say you made a wise move walking away from the rs if your concerned about the 500 a month. Not that I really care about resale value on a car but giving up a car that is already paid for with low mileage for a car that looks better on paper but will put you in car payment debt isn't worth it in my opinion. Considering cars depreciate like crazy why not just use the money you would spend on payments and interest and have some fun with the gti finally. 5 years of ownership and no mods I say you start placing some orders and have fun. Don't give your money to a dealer or bank pay your self and get some sweeeet mods.

AGREED!!!!! :thumbsup:

93serprise

Ready to race!
K04 for sure on the GTI, and you will be satisfied more than likely. I say that because being a car enthusiast definitely makes you crave more power and more mods potentially. The K04 turbo on this car is amazing though, and you will wonder how you drove it stock for so long.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
My Post

Thank You all for your input and I do appreciate it. I do agree it will be a better financial decision to build upon the GTI vs getting an STI or an RS. I have never had good luck building power on FWD platforms in the past. Seems getting power down on track was always an issue. Granted I wont be on track all the time, and this is a car that wont be driven often. So lets try and do some math here.

K04 through who? Seems various kits run around $2500

Down Pipe, $700

LSD for the DSG $1500 plus install

Tune? Not sure through who, I like Unitronic but will have to research what they have available. $600

DSG Tune Unitronic $400

Intercooler Upgrade $700

Charge Pipes upgrade $500

Brake Upgrade $1500 (Front 4 POT)

Rear Brake Pads and Rotors $250

Suspension Tuning, Not sure what I will do here, the roads where I live are HORRIBLE and lowering a car doesn't mean quicker on track, so I will have to research this as well. Price I am not sure, but I am sure Anti-Roll bars at the Minimum with some bushings upgraded and Sub Frame Bolts I am guesstimating $1500 and I would like to at least upgrade to Bilstien HD's on stock springs at the very least that would add $800 more to the $1500.

Tires I am picky with but am guessing I should get something decent for $800.

Am I going to need upgraded fuel pump? Injectors? I know on my past builds I did but none were DI so this is new for me.

So I am looking at around $10k in mods and this is not including installation. Somethings I can do myself but some of this stuff I will have to have done.

OUCH. Yes cheaper than trading the car, but I still think I am missing stuff and this is all just the "Basics".

Am I far off here? Thoughts.

Jeff

93serprise

Ready to race!
Here is what I have spent so far to reach K04 status :)

K04 Kit by CTS Turbo--1900.00 through modded Euros
Tune for the K04 by Unitronic--750.00 (had APR but switched recently)
Godspeed Downpipe from Ebay--300.00
DSG Stage 2 tune by Unitronic--750.00
Neuspeed FMIC--700.00
K04 Top--150.00
CTS Turbo throttle pipe--150.00
SPM rear sway bar--150.00
Unibrace XB--350.00
Eurosport Rear brace--125.00
Tyrolsport caliper stiffeners--100.00
IE Intake--350.00

Labor for K04 install--550.00

6175 plus taxes...so probably around 7k or so.

93serprise

Ready to race!
Forgot about R8 coilpacks, stage 2 BFI motor mounts, spulen dog bone mount, and H&R SS springs...shit....add another 650 or so to that :)