GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Almost Traded my MK6 for an RS today

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Yes, so you see my Dilemma here? Either way I go will cost money, so its either a car payment for something turn key, or money to mod.

Tough choice for sue..

Thanks everyone, really do appreciate the input.

Jeff

yeah with the difference that your car is paid off already and you can mod at your pace. car payments are not flexible. I modded my car over the years and its modded pretty well with the only thing I really need to upgrade is the braking system.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
yeah with the difference that your car is paid off already and you can mod at your pace. car payments are not flexible. I modded my car over the years and its modded pretty well with the only thing I really need to upgrade is the braking system.

That is true too. Good Point. Payments are every month as mods are when the money is there. Very good point.

Curious on the K04 this is just bolt on I am assuming, any other mods needed after initial bolt on? On an OEM map it will run right? Until you can download a map or get your ECU cracked?

are there some K04 kits that are better than others? I was looking through ECS for their kit and APR. Seems APR has a very good kit runs $2800 but has all you need. I would need an I/C for sure and a DP for sure. DP needed right away can do the I/C as the next mod.

So Stock Injectors are fine and stock fuel pump? Dont have to change any of that?

Jeff

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
OP if you buy RS can you let me know how good my exhaust sounds when i flyby?

cool thanks bro

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
OP if you buy RS can you let me know how good my exhaust sounds when i flyby?

cool thanks bro

Just curious how much your mods cost to be able to do that?

are we talking a $27,000 GTI and $10K in mods to beat a $36k RS? or??

I know it was a pun, haha just sayin...

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Just curious how much your mods cost to be able to do that?

are we talking a $27,000 GTI and $10K in mods to beat a $36k RS? or??

I know it was a pun, haha just sayin...

stage 2 tune, downpipe, rear sway bar, street summer tires, brake pads.

Under 2k

Or you could go k04 for a bit more and make 5.0s look like prius at the track. just like prius owners they never check their mirrors.

This is Jay745 on the forums, this was lap 2 of 3 with him filling mustangs mirrors. This particular track day required point bys for passes, took mustang 3 laps of getting GTIs front tow hook up his exhaust pipe for him to finally let the ego go and let him pass. Was pretty comical to see.

Last edited:

CMGTI

Ready to race!
Car paid off, low miles and mostly stock? Instead of making car payments on a new car, I would use that money for mods. Depending the route you would go as parts go (new or used) it would be pretty reasonable. IMO, thats what I would do.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Don't get in over your head and rack your brain with going k04 and dropping thousands right away. Like the guy a couple posts up top said, stage 2 and some brake and suspension bits will make it feel like a totally different car. Plus you can always revert back to stock and make some money back if you do decide the gti truly isn't the platform for you. But if that was the case you wouldn't be here or own a gti to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Don't get in over your head and rack your brain with going k04 and dropping thousands right away.
This.

~ $1500 on stage 2 and some decent fluid/pads/stiffeners make for a night and day difference. Not, it's not an RS, but it's plenty of car for the streets and basic track duty.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Or you could go k04 for a bit more and make 5.0s look like prius at the track. just like prius owners they never check their mirrors.

This is Jay745 on the forums, this was lap 2 of 3 with him filling mustangs mirrors. This particular track day required point bys for passes, took mustang 3 laps of getting GTIs front tow hook up his exhaust pipe for him to finally let the ego go and let him pass. Was pretty comical to see.

:laugh: that 5.0 was NOT happy about him not being able to pull away from me.

Jaber

Modero
I see: Location: Imperial Valley, CA

Should check and see what your emissions is like, before diving into modding the car. Stage 2 and beyond, require an aftermarket DP with a high flow cat.

If you have strict emissions, might not be worth your time, having to deal with O2 spacers, passing readiness, visual inspections, etc.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I see: Location: Imperial Valley, CA

Should check and see what your emissions is like, before diving into modding the car. Stage 2 and beyond, require an aftermarket DP with a high flow cat.

If you have strict emissions, might not be worth your time, having to deal with O2 spacers, passing readiness, visual inspections, etc.

This is very valid. The actual city I am in we have no smog requirements up to the point we sell the car. So pretty lucky there, but I am not sure how longer I will be living here and every other county in California you must smog your car every 2 yrs. Now they even have check points on freeways where they "randomly" pull over cars and check for CARB violations.

So things like a DP, Oil Catch Can, stuff like that, instant fail. That is for sure. Didn't think about that. Crap. I mean I am good for now.

Good Point, I am glad you did bring Emissions up. mmmmmmm

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Hello Everyone, your input.

My local Ford Dealer has a White RS that I have been eye balling for a while. It was in their show room with a mark up and no one was buying it. I stopped by yesterday for shits and giggles and now the mark up is off and they wanted to make a deal with me. I was on the fence, looking at about $500 a month for 72 months to have it. I ended up walking out. Was I stupid?

See, my MK6 GTI is mint. Never modded has 47k miles on it and besides the OEM LED tails and front spoiler is completely stock. Not a nick on it all OEM paint and well is nearly perfect as a car almost 5 yrs old can be, mine is a 2013. I own my GTI outright, no payments, and my insurance is fairly cheap.

I sold my 2006 Evo 9 MR to buy the GTI in 2013. Not because I wanted to, but due to divorce. I thought the GTI would satisfy my need for speed so to speak, but have found it falls a little short, but is a great car overall. Deep down I still had this hope of more. I think its just how I had to sell my Evo and that never settled well with me.

Fast forward to now, Could I afford the $500 a month for the RS? Yes. Money of course would be a little tighter, but I could do it, but part of me, maybe the rational side is saying, your older now, you have been there done that and now you have a practically new GTI sitting in the garage with ZERO payment and that is money in the bank. I can actually SAVE money for once in my life vs spending it.

So I am hear for council for my addiction to cars. It really is an addiction and I need help. So i am reaching out to my VW community for support. Did I do the right thing? Or am I just getting older and wiser? Or should I say "F" it you only life once live the dream one more time. Opinions will vary by age group I realize this, I am in my mid 40's and have owned 4 Evo's since 2003-2012. I am happy with the GTI, just feel like something is missing that a tune and some good tires just wont fix. Yet, it would be stupid to spend the money. Right?

Your Thoughts?

Jeff

I think the GTI lacks the exoticness of a car like an EVO 9 MR. You just don't see them around that often and that is why the GTI can get dull sometimes. At least in my neck of the woods, they are EVERYWHERE. I mean, VW hasn't stopped production on them since they came out whereas EVOs have come and gone.

I had the exact same feelings as you when I owned a Neon SRT4. Can laugh all you want but they are fast as ballz stock and very easy to mod for even bigger power. I was in love with that car. It got so much attention everywhere I went (including the negative :D ).

The GTI was my feeling of maturing up and wanting something a bit more tame and practical, but still could be fun. I honestly didn't expect it to be as slow as it was stock, but a Stg1 tune can get it feeling a little bit more fun. Of course it doesn't end there because then you just want more and more, and here I am with a K04 on the way. I'm hoping to capture some of the insanity the SRT4 provided me with the K04, but I feel you. I was tempted multiple times to trade the GTI because I just was a little bored of it and with the issues that arose for such low mileage, I didn't have much faith in it. Here's hoping I can still get a lot more years out of it with the K04 mod. I got 1 year left to pay it off. :thumbup:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Oh sorry that I went off and turned it all about me, rofl.

Advise for you, with the car paid off, that's an asset to you now. Enjoy being car payment free. So many people don't ever get to that because they just keep trading in and trading and end up always having a car to pay for. At this point, save your pennies. You could easily mod it at this point because you don't have to worry about that monthly payment. Make the car truly yours. Go unique on it. Maybe you need to start throwing new parts on it to make it feel fresh but don't do it all at once. Try to do 1 big thing a year to make you fall in love with it again each time. Been working for me thus far since late 2013 of purchasing it. :thumbup: