GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-22-2017, 05:52 AM   #1
Yadadameans
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: CSG GTI
HPA K04 users need some input

Who's running the HPA K04 on here? I just need some input and reviews about this turbo. I've asked around on Facebook on Burnallmk6s group and some people say that the wastegate is weak that comes with the turbo.
I plan to get Stratified Tune with my Cobb AP.
Any input helps thanks!
Yadadameans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
mk6'12gti
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 4dr Black Gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadadameans View Post
Who's running the HPA K04 on here? I just need some input and reviews about this turbo. I've asked around on Facebook on Burnallmk6s group and some people say that the wastegate is weak that comes with the turbo.
Any input helps thanks!
Stick to just a borg warner ko4 and save yourself the headache. The quality control on Hpas ko4 is awful.
| Apr Ko4 v3.2 | Apr Stage 2 Dsg | Do88 Ic | IE Intake | Circuitwerks Turboback | Ecs Street Shield | R8 Coils | Awe S3 Style Top | Spulen Throttle Pipe | Uni Dv Relocate | 034 Street Density Mounts | 034 Pendulum Mount | Hpa 80A Puck | P3 Gauge | GFB Dv+ | Apr Catch Can | Osram Headlights | Oem Cherry Led Tails | Bc Br Extreme Lows | Urotuning Rear Sway Bar | Ecs Rear Subframe Brace | Golf R Dutchparts Splitter | CF Side Grilles |
mk6'12gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #3
OhioMK6
Oval Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI - 2DR Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk6'12gti View Post
Stick to just a borg warner ko4 and save yourself the headache. The quality control on Hpas ko4 is awful.
Do you have any actual examples of this? Did you run one or have friends that did? I'm interested as well, but I want to hear details of quality issues instead of a blanket statement. I've heard about possible wastegate problems, anything else?
Borg Warner K04 | Stratified Protune | SouthBend Stage 2 Daily Clutch | ECS Tuning Intake - SPM Downpipe - Corsa RSC Catback - GFB DV+ - Audi R8 Coils + NGK IX Plugs - Koni Coilovers - 3SDM 0.06 Wheels - Hankook Evo V12 - HAWK HPS 5.0 Pads - ECS Tuning SS Brake Lines - Ziza Golf R Tails - ECS Tuning Street Shield - Eonon GA5153f Android Headunit
OhioMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:06 AM   #4
mk6'12gti
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 4dr Black Gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMK6 View Post
Do you have any actual examples of this? Did you run one or have friends that did? I'm interested as well, but I want to hear details of quality issues instead of a blanket statement. I've heard about possible wastegate problems, anything else?
I have a friend who runs one and had nothing but problems with the wastegate acuator. Stratified has had nothing but a problem tuning it. Alex basically told him to either get a new acuator or buy a new turbo.
| Apr Ko4 v3.2 | Apr Stage 2 Dsg | Do88 Ic | IE Intake | Circuitwerks Turboback | Ecs Street Shield | R8 Coils | Awe S3 Style Top | Spulen Throttle Pipe | Uni Dv Relocate | 034 Street Density Mounts | 034 Pendulum Mount | Hpa 80A Puck | P3 Gauge | GFB Dv+ | Apr Catch Can | Osram Headlights | Oem Cherry Led Tails | Bc Br Extreme Lows | Urotuning Rear Sway Bar | Ecs Rear Subframe Brace | Golf R Dutchparts Splitter | CF Side Grilles |
mk6'12gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:01 PM   #5
Yadadameans

Im pretty sure I've talked with your friend and he seems to be like the only one that's having that issue. But for the peace of mind I might just change out the wastegate as I've talked with Alex as well
Old 12-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 black Wolfsburg
Quote:
Im pretty sure I've talked with your friend and he seems to be like the only one that's having that issue. But for the peace of mind I might just change out the wastegate as I've talked with Alex as well
Is it the WGA or the flapper failing?
GroceryGTIer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #7
VDubGTI12
Drag Race Newbie

Drives:
I have had one in my car since June with a United Motorsport tune. It was a breeze to tune and hasnít given me any issues (fingers crossed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VDubGTI12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:55 PM   #8
Yadadameans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGTIer View Post
Is it the WGA or the flapper failing?
From what I've been getting from people is the WGA is weak.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #9
danman1280
Ready to race!

Drives: 2011 MK GTI K04
I have a HPA K04 and have had 0 issues with the WGA. It did require some tweaking with the crack pressure when I initially got the kit on, but other than that nothing. Also, HPA has awesome customer service Darryl and Alan are awesome and will help you in whatever way they can.
danman1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman1280 View Post
I have a HPA K04 and have had 0 issues with the WGA. It did require some tweaking with the crack pressure when I initially got the kit on, but other than that nothing. Also, HPA has awesome customer service Darryl and Alan are awesome and will help you in whatever way they can.
I've spoken with Darryl before. Very nice guy. I recall Doug making a reference to them ripping off his design (which turned out to be a POS itself) in a post I read a long time ago. I'm not saying it actually was. Just saying.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:49 AM   #11
Jerseynoob
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Jetta Wolfsburg
Quote:
Any input helps thanks!
I got 90k on my HPA turbo/tune with NO problems.

There was a tinkling contest a few years ago or abouts between them and FrankenTurbo.

You might want to find out which turbo Stratified recommends, and research that option. I've read about, and was told by tuners that not all turbos play nicely with other companies tunes.

I reached out to United Motorsport in CT, and they do tune the HPA turbo, I was gonna look into that, but my wallet says otherwise.......
Jerseynoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #12
OhioMK6
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseynoob View Post

There was a tinkling contest a few years ago or abouts between them and FrankenTurbo.

You might want to find out which turbo Stratified recommends, and research that option. I've read about, and was told by tuners that not all turbos play nicely with other companies tunes.

I reached out to United Motorsport in CT, and they do tune the HPA turbo, I was gonna look into that, but my wallet says otherwise.......
When did you buy your HPA turbo? They used to sell Borg Warner K04 kits, but switched to a K04 "hybrid" a little while back.
Borg Warner K04 | Stratified Protune | SouthBend Stage 2 Daily Clutch | ECS Tuning Intake - SPM Downpipe - Corsa RSC Catback - GFB DV+ - Audi R8 Coils + NGK IX Plugs - Koni Coilovers - 3SDM 0.06 Wheels - Hankook Evo V12 - HAWK HPS 5.0 Pads - ECS Tuning SS Brake Lines - Ziza Golf R Tails - ECS Tuning Street Shield - Eonon GA5153f Android Headunit
Old 12-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #13
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseynoob View Post

Imo the actual Borg Warner k04 will be the most reliable, tried and true version that can be used. The hybrids will put out more power, but at what cost?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #14
OhioMK6
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGTIer View Post
Imo the actual Borg Warner k04 will be the most reliable, tried and true version that can be used. The hybrids will put out more power, but at what cost?
I don't think the HPA K04 "Hybrid" is a hybrid in the traditional sense, and won't make more power over a regular K04. The F23T is a hybrid with different internals.