GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 10-28-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
Doommachine_
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 GTI DSG
track cooked my brakes. pad only an option?

so the stock brakes on my 2011 GTI totally went dead at the track today. there is 2 heavy braking zones on Streets of Willow CCW and from braking hard in those the fronts got too hot and overheated the pads and I also cooked my fluid and the pedal went all soggy despite me flushing and putting in DOT4 last night. I know some of the issue is just the pad being junk street pads but I am wondering if anyone has feedback as to if just a spare set of rotors and carbotech pads will be enough for track use. I had considered doing porsche caliper upgrade but am always careful with my money and would rather just swap pads and rotors for track days if that will do the trick
Doommachine_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doommachine_ View Post
so the stock brakes on my 2011 GTI totally went dead at the track today. there is 2 heavy braking zones on Streets of Willow CCW and from braking hard in those the fronts got too hot and overheated the pads and I also cooked my fluid and the pedal went all soggy despite me flushing and putting in DOT4 last night. I know some of the issue is just the pad being junk street pads but I am wondering if anyone has feedback as to if just a spare set of rotors and carbotech pads will be enough for track use. I had considered doing porsche caliper upgrade but am always careful with my money and would rather just swap pads and rotors for track days if that will do the trick
You can get away with a nice set of track pads. Carbotech xp10 do well. Fluid is the most important. I've ran all sorts of race fluid, Castrol srf is by far the best I've used. I had issues with rbf600 and 660 with it cooking the fluid. Srf has performed amazing. It's a bit expensive though but worth it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
dub*man
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: '11 4 Door Golf GTI
Use Endless RB650 Fluid and never look back. Many OEM racing teams switched from Castrol SRF to Endless RB650
dub*man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
who128
Oval Newbie

Drives: GTI MK6
Castrol SRF +1
who128 is offline   Reply With Quote