GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 06-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
SteveInLA
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2011 VW GTI, CW w/DSG, Sunroof, Nav
TPMS needed for track only set?

I am considering having a set of wheels and tires only to be used on the track. Is it necessary to spend the extra $50/per wheel to have a TPMS sensor? I assume that without it, the light on the dash will be lit, but I can live with that. I will be driving to the track on wheels with TPMS installed then swapping them there. Any thoughts?

Steve in L.A.
SteveInLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
You sure your wheels right now have tpms sensors? My 2011 uses the abs system to monitor tire pressure.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI
TPMS needed for track only set?

Basically - no.

Even if you have TPMS sensors you can code it out using VAGCOM - Iíve done it on my mk5. Itís not hard to do. Thereís 2-3 Long codes you have to look up on Ross tech.

Most mk6s use the ABS style wheel speed sensors not TPMS but I think the early gen ones might have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
SteveInLA
Drag Racing Champion

Interesting. Mine is a 2011 but I assumed that since it tells me when my street tires have lost pressure that there were tire pressure monitor sensors installed. I could code that out, but I like having it when not on the track. Anyway seems like the answer is no, I do not need to add them to my tirerack.com order. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #5
Tony48
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
Look at your valve stems. If you have metal valve stems them you have tpms sensors. If they are rubber then your tire pressure monitoring is done with your wheel speed sensors.

IIRC only some 2010 model GTI's use actual tpms sensors.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
My 2010 has the sensors...your 2011 probably does not. As others said it's done using the ABS system, it can tell when a tire is low. Any wheels will work. The easy way to know is you will have a reset button in the car.
If you don't, then you can change the coding to deactivate the sensors, which is what I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #7
SteveInLA
Drag Racing Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
The easy way to know is you will have a reset button in the car.
I do have a reset button in the glove compartment and my valve stems are rubber. That confirms I have no sensors, right?
Old 06-13-2018, 07:06 AM   #8
Tony48
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInLA View Post
I do have a reset button in the glove compartment and my valve stems are rubber. That confirms I have no sensors, right?
Correct