GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
JSwag420
Rally Car Newbie
 
JSwag420's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 CSG DSG GTI
Join Date: May 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 314
Has anybody had their plaid seats reupholstered?

My drivers seat on my 2012 GTI w/ 50,000 miles looks horrid. It's as clean as it came new, however, the seat is so faded the print is hardly visible. It's almost entirely gray. The passenger seat on the other hand still looks like it did the day the car came out of the showroom.

Is it possible to purchase the lower seat cushion fabric new and have a shop upholster it? I cannot find anything like it online. I can only find just rolls of it like this https://www.jpmsupplyco.com/collecti...motive-fabrics and I don't think a shop could replicate it (could they?).

Does anybody have any suggestions for this terrible eyesore? I did some looking around on eBay and I'm seeing used seats in even worse condition. Why did VW have to use such a shit material that fades? The 2014/15 MK7's don't fade even after people are now approaching 50k miles in them.
JSwag420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
Boscogn
FIA GT Champion
 
Boscogn's Avatar
 
Drives: CSG 2013 GTI DSG 4DR
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 1,172
I'm guessing you'd just have to buy a new seat. You might have a look at salvage yards with GTIs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edit: I love the plaid but I eat in my car and drive alot so this is what drove me to get the leather seats. I'm at 86k miles and my seats still look new.
__________________
Wish List: Golf R InterCooler | Unitronic or IE CAI | P3 Air Vent Boost Gauge | 034 Motorsports RSB
NOTE: Please PM me if you are selling anything in my wishlist! Also check out my Build Thread!
Boscogn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:15 AM   #3
whitewolf33
Formula 5000 Driver
 
whitewolf33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 CW Wolfsburg
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,486
Its clean but it faded? Are you sure a thourough cleaning wont make it look much better?
__________________
Revo Stage 2 // ARM Catted DP // Neuspeed P Flo // DG Springs // Depo LED Tails // OEM Lip // 35% Tint // DeAutoLED's // Rokblokz // VAG
whitewolf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #4
JSwag420
Rally Car Newbie
 
JSwag420's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 CSG DSG GTI
Join Date: May 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewolf33 View Post
Its clean but it faded? Are you sure a thourough cleaning wont make it look much better?
Yep. It's just completely faded. The print is almost non-existent now. Even did a deep steam cleaner today. It's even worse when the seat is super clean. I always Scotchguard it to darken it.
JSwag420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #5
JSwag420
Rally Car Newbie
 
JSwag420's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 CSG DSG GTI
Join Date: May 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscogn View Post
I'm guessing you'd just have to buy a new seat. You might have a look at salvage yards with GTIs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edit: I love the plaid but I eat in my car and drive alot so this is what drove me to get the leather seats. I'm at 86k miles and my seats still look new.
That's going to be my last option considering it'll be rare to find a seat in good shape. Chances are I'd find a leather one in better shape and just pull all of that out and swap it.
JSwag420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
Ol' Man
Drag Race Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 Carbon Grey GTI 4dr. DSG
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ft. Wayne, IN
Posts: 47
Are you sure you can't buy the seat cover from your dealer's parts dept. Our Acura driver's seat side bolster wore through and I got a replacement cover from the dealer, took it to a local upholstery shop and they replaced it. They had to take the seat back off, but they knew what they were doing and it turned out looking like new.
__________________
Life is a Journey, I'll get started as soon as I remember where I parked.
Ol' Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:38 PM   #7
GIACUser
FIA GT Newbie
 
GIACUser's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 MKV EFR7163
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Riverside
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Man View Post
Are you sure you can't buy the seat cover from your dealer's parts dept. Our Acura driver's seat side bolster wore through and I got a replacement cover from the dealer, took it to a local upholstery shop and they replaced it. They had to take the seat back off, but they knew what they were doing and it turned out looking like new.
I believe the factory is required by federal law to make all OE parts available for 10 years. I vaguely recall them being available at the dealer. The cover for the seat back was around 500 dollars ea and the seat bottoms were about same or slightly less. It was so expensive I was just going to go to an upholstery shop when the they got a bit worse. When time came I decided instead to buy a set of great seats out of an Audi TTS. And now I am replacing them with a set of Recaros. Both choices cheaper than buying factory covers. Also cheaper to go to an upholstery shop and just get the reupholstered.
__________________
| 2008 GTI under construction as of July 2017 looking for 500whp| Turbozentrum EFR7163 | LSD | DriverMotorsport tune | UNI custom DSG tune | Aquamist W/M | Brembo brakes f/r |
| YCW Coilovers | Neuspeed RSe11 18x8 Michelin PS4 | Recaro Speedseats |
GIACUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #8
mikeleemk6
Formula 5000 Driver
 
mikeleemk6's Avatar
 
Drives: Shadow Blue GTI MK6
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSwag420 View Post
My drivers seat on my 2012 GTI w/ 50,000 miles looks horrid. It's as clean as it came new, however, the seat is so faded the print is hardly visible. It's almost entirely gray. The passenger seat on the other hand still looks like it did the day the car came out of the showroom.

Is it possible to purchase the lower seat cushion fabric new and have a shop upholster it? I cannot find anything like it online. I can only find just rolls of it like this https://www.jpmsupplyco.com/collecti...motive-fabrics and I don't think a shop could replicate it (could they?).

Does anybody have any suggestions for this terrible eyesore? I did some looking around on eBay and I'm seeing used seats in even worse condition. Why did VW have to use such a shit material that fades? The 2014/15 MK7's don't fade even after people are now approaching 50k miles in them.
I am in Florida and have a set of plaid seats for sale...4 door and they are pretty mint. Im asking 650$ for front and rear. PM me with any questions or concerns if interested.
mikeleemk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
zef
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 2013 GTI
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 510
I had a professional upholstery shop re-wrap my plaid seats in corbeau seat fabric front and rear. Was only $500 and they look amazeballs.
__________________
Check out my build thread here -> Build Thread

zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #10
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,643
I do have the skin of a mk6 plaid seat. Great condition just had to swap it off for a elather one. It is the passenger seat. If you really wanna play i might be willing to rip the skin off my spare drivers seat, also in great shape
riceburner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #11
JSwag420
Rally Car Newbie
 
JSwag420's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 CSG DSG GTI
Join Date: May 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
I do have the skin of a mk6 plaid seat. Great condition just had to swap it off for a elather one. It is the passenger seat. If you really wanna play i might be willing to rip the skin off my spare drivers seat, also in great shape
Mind sending some pics? My best route is probably buying one in good shape to replace my drivers fabric with.
JSwag420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
JSwag420
Rally Car Newbie
 
JSwag420's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 CSG DSG GTI
Join Date: May 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
I believe the factory is required by federal law to make all OE parts available for 10 years. I vaguely recall them being available at the dealer. The cover for the seat back was around 500 dollars ea and the seat bottoms were about same or slightly less. It was so expensive I was just going to go to an upholstery shop when the they got a bit worse. When time came I decided instead to buy a set of great seats out of an Audi TTS. And now I am replacing them with a set of Recaros. Both choices cheaper than buying factory covers. Also cheaper to go to an upholstery shop and just get the reupholstered.
That's mind blowing for all it is, its some fabric and stitching. Going to see what my dealer would charge for the bottom fabric.

Last edited by JSwag420; 12-01-2017 at 04:52 PM.
JSwag420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #13
JSwag420
Rally Car Newbie
 
JSwag420's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 CSG DSG GTI
Join Date: May 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
I believe the factory is required by federal law to make all OE parts available for 10 years. I vaguely recall them being available at the dealer. The cover for the seat back was around 500 dollars ea and the seat bottoms were about same or slightly less. It was so expensive I was just going to go to an upholstery shop when the they got a bit worse. When time came I decided instead to buy a set of great seats out of an Audi TTS. And now I am replacing them with a set of Recaros. Both choices cheaper than buying factory covers. Also cheaper to go to an upholstery shop and just get the reupholstered.
Just talked to someone from their live chat and they said that it's not a part that they carry. Welp.
JSwag420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #14
GIACUser
FIA GT Newbie
 
GIACUser's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 MKV EFR7163
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Riverside
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSwag420 View Post
Just talked to someone from their live chat and they said that it's not a part that they carry. Welp.
Definitely would be special order from VW, not something they would carry on the shelf. There is a part number for the back cover and the seat cover.

I could find a part number for the seat cushion cover but they don't list one for the cover for the seat back? 406.00 for the seat cushion cover. LINK
__________________
| 2008 GTI under construction as of July 2017 looking for 500whp| Turbozentrum EFR7163 | LSD | DriverMotorsport tune | UNI custom DSG tune | Aquamist W/M | Brembo brakes f/r |
| YCW Coilovers | Neuspeed RSe11 18x8 Michelin PS4 | Recaro Speedseats |
GIACUser is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.