GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 12-04-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
flygti98
Ready to race!

Drives: 12í GTI
Passenger Window Squealing (any insight appreciated)

I made this post on the Reddit with no luck so far (video)

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/com...OK&sh=c9952df4

What the heck is wrong with my window? Shouldn’t 20 year old cars be doing this, not cars that are only practically a few years old? I’ve cleaned, vacuumed the seals, lubricated the seals and have had no luck. I rolled my windows up next to a car next to me and they looked over as it sounded like an animal is being brutally murdered when my windows go up. The inside and outside of the window are clean. Even tried rain x and wax. It sounds like it’s coming from the center of the window and not the sides. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to try next?

I’m also just out of warranty. Would the dealer charge me hundreds to fix this? I’m assuming the entire window motor or the seals need to be replaced. I’m out of warranty about 6 months now. Should I remove my door panel or something and attempt to fix it myself? Is there a TSB where they’d fix this for free because it’s a common problem from what I’ve seen.

Any ideas?

Last edited by flygti98; 12-04-2017 at 11:35 AM.
flygti98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:16 AM   #2
Sauce118
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 VW GTI (6spd White)
both of mine do the same thing.. Never got them to stop. I never really tried though. Sometimes it worse than others. LMK if you find a remedy
2010 GTi 6mt: Candy White: CTS K04 W/APR v3.12: AQUAMIST HFS-4 v3.1 W/M Direct Port: Peloquin LSD: Wilwood BBK: CTS Downpipe: Beluga CatBack: ARM Motorsports FMIC: CTS CAI: CTS BOV Kit: RSR Clutch: CTS Charge Pipes: Fluidampr Pulley: Koni Coilovers: WALK Kit: SPM Full Mounts: DieselGeek SS w/ bushings: Eurosport Front & Rear Strut Bar: STERN Brace: HID's: 'R' Grill: Various Cosmetics GT3073 BUILD IN PROGRESS!!!
Sauce118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
DSGVW
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI DSG
If the glass is truly clean, and sounds like you did, attack the window track with the window all the way down. Clean it up with a microfiber and something for rubber, back to black or maybe even gummy pflege? Mine squeaked a little after baking out in the sun too much one summer.

Treated window tracks and made sure window is clean and all is well for years now.

Good luck!
DSGVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
flygti98
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGVW View Post
If the glass is truly clean, and sounds like you did, attack the window track with the window all the way down. Clean it up with a microfiber and something for rubber, back to black or maybe even gummy pflege? Mine squeaked a little after baking out in the sun too much one summer.

Treated window tracks and made sure window is clean and all is well for years now.

Good luck!
Scrubbed the window tracks as deep in as I could. Even used cue tips with first alcohol then silicone lube
Old 12-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
flygti98
Ready to race!

Had another go this time that the inside and outside of the window were covered in silicone by the time I rolled it back up. Slick as ice and it still squeaks. Had to clean it off with window cleaner after it dried a bit. Whatever is making the sound has to be behind the door plastic. I wonder how much VW is going to charge to fix this
Old 12-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #6
Blakcard
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
I had that noise driver side... the regulator was failinf. No amount of cleaning the rubber or squirt lube worked. Mind you i did not take off the panel
Old 12-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
flygti98
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakcard View Post
I had that noise driver side... the regulator was failinf. No amount of cleaning the rubber or squirt lube worked. Mind you i did not take off the panel
That has to be it then. Did you get it done out of warranty?
Old 12-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #8
Blakcard
FIA GT Champion

I had to pay for the repair myself as I was long out of warranty
Old 12-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
DSGVW
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI DSG
Just pull the door card and do it yourself. Not that bad after you figure out where all the clips are. And don't break the door handle (it has a plastic piece that snaps easily where the cable attaches).

Not sure how much the regulator is, but would be easy enough to swap I bet.
DSGVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #10
Blakcard
FIA GT Champion

As long as you carefully drill out the rivets and have the tools to put new rivets in.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
Quote:
As long as you carefully drill out the rivets and have the tools to put new rivets in.
Annnnd that's why I haven't done anything about mine yet. Fuck that mess.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:26 PM   #12
flygti98
Ready to race!

Quote:
I had to pay for the repair myself as I was long out of warranty
Mind telling me what I should expect to pay? What a piece of shit. It goes out on almost every VW yet Iím going to have to pay for it since Iím a few months out of warranty.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:44 PM   #13
Blakcard
FIA GT Champion

Well you may wanna try an independent as they could get a regulator for a better price and lower per hour shop rate.

I paid around $675 CAD as i took it to the dealer... bigger mistake but i wanted it done that day versus waiting.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #14
flygti98
Ready to race!

Quote:
Well you may wanna try an independent as they could get a regulator for a better price and lower per hour shop rate.

I paid around $675 CAD as i took it to the dealer... bigger mistake but i wanted it done that day versus waiting.
675 to replace a defective part where itís their fault that itís broken? Holy shit. Guess Iím going to have a squeaky window forever as well. I have the exact same problem.