GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Horn not working from removing air bag

cchase__

Ready to race!
I am so very confused as to what happened..
My motive initially was to remove the multi function control trim to either wrap it or to replace it (now i want to replace it with the black golf R one).

I will explain what happened.

I did not disconnect the battery (if this matters)
I then pried at the little clips in the back of the steering wheel then took off the air bag
Without disconnecting the airbag cables i removed the trim
i didn't end up wrapping the trim so i put it back on
then i put the air bag back on

Next thing i know is the horn doesn't work??

Is it possible i installed it back wrong?

The paddle sifters, controls, and lights still work.

Also there is no "click" when pressed.

Please help, it's very annoying because it doesn't make sense!

TALON AE

Ready to race!
I’ve had this happen twice...both easily remedied.

First time, I just didn’t have the airbag assembly seated properly when reinstalling. I gave it a good shove and the rubber bumpers on the underside of the assembly seated more fully...problem solved.

Second time was a little more tricky and took me longer to figure out. When I had removed the airbag assembly it came loose a little easier than I expected and I ended up yanking on the harness when it came away. I didn’t realize at the time, but that yank had unseated the harness from the horn contact mechanism. There is a metal hoop that goes around the circumference of the airbag assembly. When you depress the center hub, one of 4 contacts make a connection with this hoop and completes a circuit to sound the horn. There is a pressure-fit connection at one end of that hoop where the harness ties in. I found the connector hanging from the harness. All I had to do was press that connector over the end of the hoop and, voila, all fixed.

Hopefully that’s all you did.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TALON AE

Ready to race!

Not my picture, but check this connector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk