GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 01-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #57
lukesGTI
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 6spd Manual Black 2DR
Location: 11581 www.lukekaminski.com http://luxgti.blogspot.com/
Ive owned a 200sx, sentra, a4 and matrix.
My Gti has been the best daily / sports car for the past 3 years..
lukesGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:15 AM   #58
TSI_mr.niceguy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: a racecar
Nope.

Was between the GTI and a WRX and would buy a WRX instead if I could go back. Would ideally like an evo 8 or 9 but they weren't/aren't in my price range.

I've increasingly fallen out of love with the GTI in the past couple years. But, I'm deep enough in that its staying until it dies.

Not that I'm trying to turn this into a ripping on the car fest. It's fairly fun and pretty cool and has style. But its been very unreliable and at 60,000 miles mine feels like a loose POS rattle box. Which for the car that's supposed to have superior German build quality, comfort and interior as compared to its JDM competitors is pretty disappointing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123,
You should probably just respond with something about you fucking his daughter. He cant undo that with his fancy mustang can he?

Last edited by TSI_mr.niceguy; 01-03-2018 at 12:20 AM.
TSI_mr.niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:23 AM   #59
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI_mr.niceguy View Post
Nope.

Was between the GTI and a WRX and would buy a WRX instead if I could go back. Would ideally like an evo 8 or 9 but they weren't/aren't in my price range.

I've increasingly fallen out of love with the GTI in the past couple years. But, I'm deep enough in that its staying until it dies.

Not that I'm trying to turn this into a ripping on the car fest. It's fairly fun and pretty cool and has style. But its been very unreliable and at 60,000 miles mine feels like a loose POS rattle box. Which for the car that's supposed to have superior German build quality, comfort and interior as compared to its JDM competitors is pretty disappointing.
Is that just your car, or where you feel the platform has come short

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #60
Cal2000
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 13' GTI 4DR AUTOBAHN
No doubt. Would happily do it again.
Cal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #61
MakiNn
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2011 VW GTI
Nope probably would have found another nice Audi for a similar price. I like the GTI but don't love it. I could sell it tomorrow with all the stuff I have done to it and not loose s ounce of sleep on it or think of it ever again
MakiNn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #62
ChrisB
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 MKVI Driver's Ed German Fit
I wouldn't because I hate FWD. OTOH, I keep flip flopping on if I will go with an MK7 R or not, but I definitely will NOT purchase another FWD vehicle again when AWD and RWD options exist. The TTRS is also an option, but I'd never hear the end of it from my wife if I spent that much on a car. We'll just have to see how well my consulting business does in 2018 to be sure.
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #63
gijoewoz
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2005 Impreza RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI_mr.niceguy View Post
Nope.

I loved my Subaru, and I miss a lot about it, but if you're concerned with rattles, the Subaru will rattle twice as bad, in half the miles. Having gutted the interiors of both, I can tell you that the fit and finish the the GTI is much, much better. You'll be chasing rattles in the Subaru right away. To be fair, my Subaru seemed to rattle just as much over regular roads as it did over rough roads and potholes, the GTI is nice and quiet on smooth roads, but if you don't swerve for potholes it feels like you're going to break the entire front end off. I'm tempted to drop down to 16" wheels just so I can have some sidewall to work with.
gijoewoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #64
ben_m
Touring Car Champion

Drives: Mkvi GTI / MDX
From a practical standpoint, I would say yes. Car hasn't caused any real problems. Fits multiple car seats and kids crap that I have to lug around.

But part of me wishes I bought a used 3series or IS300 for like 10k. I primarily drive to a train station so the car just doesn't see a ton of mileage. Then I could have saved a good 15K and used that to get my wife a SUV since having 2 smaller cars is sometimes a PITA.
ben_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #65
CMGTI
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '11 GTI
No.

Three water pumps, headliner, now the valve gasket leaking. Looming timing chain tensioner job as well. All this at just 58K miles. As soon as its paid off, i will get rid of it.

MK7 is a lot better platform so will prob jump on the 7.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #66
pashley
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI DSG black
Yes. As some have mentioned, I would have liked to work with an R instead of a GTI, but I have loved this car for 7 years and modifying the hell out of it has been a blast. I've learned so much working with this thing.
APR k04 - APR full carbonio intake - CTS TBE/TOP/TBP - do88 IC - fluidampr - ST X coilovers - H&R f/r sways - SuperPro ALK/ball joints - TyrolSport deadset kit - 034 upper strut/engine/trans mounts/SS brake lines/billet dogbone - R8 coilpacks/NGK plugs - MODA MD18s - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 - various cosmetic mods
pashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #67
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
i love this thing and ill keep it til it dies at this point but I wont ever buy another Volkswagen. The reliability has been a fucking roller coaster of emotions.
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, CTS Chargepipe & TOP, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
"You're no daisy. No daisy at all."
damagi123 is offline   Reply With Quote