GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-20-2017, 03:18 AM   #15
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
At the end of the day (as with any product) you only hear about the problems! The vast majority of owners donít frequent forums or have issues with their car so donít express their satisfaction! I also believe forums can breed paranoia about issues, I know I notice every little knock or squeak with this car and then search about it normally opening a can of worms that the average owner wouldnít ever notice/be concerned with, the thing with the GTI/R is that they are owned by people that DRIVE them! This in itself can lead to more component failures that we hear about here due to those same people being enthusiasts that use the forums to research these same failures, I think if anyone on here moved to another brand they would join a forum for said brand and the experience would be very similar regardless of manufacturer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #16
gijoewoz
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2005 Impreza RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGTIer View Post
Based on reliability ratings... vw is low, BMW is low, Audi is low (not all models of course) etc. If you look at highest and lowest rating our cars aren't up there too high.
I understand that, and I'm saying that I believe it's at least partially due to the owners. When I replace an alternator in my garage it doesn't get documented, when Sally hears a "strange noise" she goes to the dealer and has it repaired. It costs her a pretty penny and she makes her dissatisfaction know. Volkswagens are bought by a lot of Sallys. I'm not saying that these cars are as reliable as many of the Japanese cars, but I suspect a lot of the numbers are inflated and that the difference between a VW and a Honda might not be as big as it seems.
gijoewoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #17
Sachz71
Ready to race!

Drives: Mk6 GTI APR STAGE 1
One thing . Buy OEM parts.
Sachz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #18
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans GTI View Post
Define "high failure rate". What leads to a high failure rate? Generally when you talk about German cars and them being unreliable time after time i see one constant, and that is the failure to properly maintain and service the car. German cars have to be maintained regularly and with quality parts. A relative of mine has a repair facility and you would be surprised the amount of people who bring in their BMW/Mercedes/Audi's with parts they bought online because they found a great deal. Well, sorry to break it to you the $40 china water pump you bought instead of the $180 OE/OEM pump won't last long.
So....you're trying to tell me the superior quality water pumps found at your local VW dealership is failure proof? LOL....Not sure what you've been taking/smoking but get real.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #19
Cadubya
DUBYA

Drives: 2011 K04 GTI 4DR 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvturbo View Post
So....you're trying to tell me the superior quality water pumps found at your local VW dealership is failure proof? LOL....Not sure what you've been taking/smoking but get real.

No need to be nasty. A lot of repeat failures of the VW water pumps have been to improper install by the monkeys at the stealership. Iíve seen it.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #20
Sachz71
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSuits View Post
I just crossed 130,000 miles today and here is a brief overview:

Issues

- Waterpump (pre-recall) at 45k miles (warranty)

- Waterpump (recall) at 85k miles (warranty)

- HPFP at 42k miles (warranty)

Issues of My Own Doing

- Front Sway Bar End Link at 80k because of pothole

- Rear Wheel Bearing at 85k due to driving on bent wheel for about 50 miles

My GTI has been exponentially more reliable than my '03 Honda Element and it all comes down to the quality of parts used by VW versus Honda. The VW has little suspension rust at 130k driving in NYC and Upstate NY compared to the Honda which was complete trash past 100k miles. I believe VWs can be hit or miss depending on when certain parts have been updated, for example, the timing tensioner issue and intake manifold issue.

However, I do believe proper maintenance and proper driving goes a long way. Meaning, not driving off upon startup and letting the revs drop to idle first...keeping the revs below 2.5k or 3k until the oil is fully warm...using a 0w-40 oil in winter/summer...changing oil at 5k max compared to 10k intervals...DSG service every 35k-40k max.

I only had the radiator fan and the manifold change ( warranty) 35000 miles .
Carbon built up cleaning I thing is part of the maintenance of this cars
I am on the second manifold now this is cause when the Dealer installed the replacement they installed the old manifold type not the revised .
Water pump
Injectors tent to fail too
Coils.
5k oil change is better
Old 12-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #21
Sachz71
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHerna View Post
In my professional experience with the American auto industry, American cars fail just as much.

True!
Old 12-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #22
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadubya View Post
No need to be nasty. A lot of repeat failures of the VW water pumps have been to improper install by the monkeys at the stealership. Iíve seen it.
Not being nasty, just stating what I've experienced.

I will have to agree with you about those monkeys at the stealership though...
Old 12-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #23
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvturbo View Post
Where did i say they are failure proof.
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :

Last edited by Dans GTI; 12-20-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:06 PM   #24
Mudkicker
Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK6 GTI - Rado VR6
2011 GTI comfortable and fun to drive. Too many issues for me... Intake manifold, carbon build up, radio died, slave cylinder, RUST!!!
Next car will be a Toyota or Lexus.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Mudkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #25
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MK6 gti
German cars are meant to be properly maintained and this, historically, has been something outside the scope of the average American.

Most Americans want a reliable car that they dont have to do a DAMN thing to for 10 years. Think early 00s, late 90s Honda or present day Toyota. You can literally forget to change the oil on those cars for 20k miles and you would barely notice the difference. As a previous commenter said... the second something goes wrong its not the owners fault at all... its the manufacturer of course!

I lived in Germany for years and learned a thing or two about how much respect they have for driving. Its not like you go take an easy test and then hop in a car for 30 minutes and then they sign you off... you go to whats called a "fahrschule" or driving school. You start on a manual... you drive day, night, rain, snow. The TUV inspection doesnt focus as much on emissions as they do shocks, brakes and tires. In Germany you HAVE to run Winter tires or Snow qualified A/S between OCT-APR.

They just have more respect for cars... Americans just want their cake and to eat it too

Radical Edward
Injen1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #26
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 black Wolfsburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injen1us View Post
German cars are meant to be properly maintained and this, historically, has been something outside the scope of the average American.

Most Americans want a reliable car that they dont have to do a DAMN thing to for 10 years. Think early 00s, late 90s Honda or present day Toyota. You can literally forget to change the oil on those cars for 20k miles and you would barely notice the difference. As a previous commenter said... the second something goes wrong its not the owners fault at all... its the manufacturer of course!

I lived in Germany for years and learned a thing or two about how much respect they have for driving. Its not like you go take an easy test and then hop in a car for 30 minutes and then they sign you off... you go to whats called a "fahrschule" or driving school. You start on a manual... you drive day, night, rain, snow. The TUV inspection doesnt focus as much on emissions as they do shocks, brakes and tires. In Germany you HAVE to run Winter tires or Snow qualified A/S between OCT-APR.

They just have more respect for cars... Americans just want their cake and to eat it too
That's true, and a fair point, but I would say most of us here are car guys/girls? and pay pretty good attention to maintaining our cars. I don't like going passed 4k on oil changes... with rotella T6, I could easily do 7 or more, but it's cheap enough to change at 3-4 k. Brakes? I'm close to 50k and the stickers are fine, but I'd like to take it all apart, see how it's wearing, clean everything and put my stoptechs on. Tires I replaced pretty early at about 30 ish? With a UHP A/S, trans was done at 35 instead of 40k etc etc.
GroceryGTIer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #27
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MK6 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGTIer View Post
That's true, and a fair point, but I would say most of us here are car guys/girls? and pay pretty good attention to maintaining our cars. I don't like going passed 4k on oil changes... with rotella T6, I could easily do 7 or more, but it's cheap enough to change at 3-4 k. Brakes? I'm close to 50k and the stickers are fine, but I'd like to take it all apart, see how it's wearing, clean everything and put my stoptechs on. Tires I replaced pretty early at about 30 ish? With a UHP A/S, trans was done at 35 instead of 40k etc etc.
I think thats exactly the difference with people on here vs "average consumer." Most of us are either willing to do the work/maintenance or pay to have it done right.

You know how many people i know who have automatics that cannot tell me when or if they have ever had the fluid changed?! its absurd.

I tuned my car at 1200 miles; have every bolt on available including a new turbo; spray water meth and track her about 4 times a year. I have had two failures:

-Clutch for very predictable and obvious reasons of adding double the torque

-Intake manifold that failed at 60k and was covered under warrenty.

These cars are excellent if you care for them

Radical Edward
Injen1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #28
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Intake manifold under warranty by the previous owner, a small leak in the radiator replaced by me. 144k miles now, K04 most of it, driven hard, never carbon cleaned, runs great. Mechanically, this has been the most reliable car I've owned out 10 of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote