GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPA K04 users need some input

redubbed

Ready to race!
His is leaking from the v-band, not the silicone. Mine is currently off the car so I may have it welded. Which direction should it be pointed before I do this? It has a slight angle to it

KFahey

Ready to race!
His is leaking from the v-band, not the silicone. Mine is currently off the car so I may have it welded. Which direction should it be pointed before I do this? It has a slight angle to it
Mine needs to be pointed up towards the sky in order to get my silicone hose on the easiest.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

redubbed

Ready to race!
Welded & port-matched:

KFahey

Ready to race!

KFahey

Ready to race!
So are those HPA turbos pieces of junk then?
More so their quality control is junk. The whole outlet assembly design itself is odd to.

redubbed

Ready to race!
I can’t take credit for the welds, but if you need yours welded in CT, I know where to send you.

Plenty of others run these turbos with minimal issues. Unfortunately, it seems like they added complexity where it wasn’t needed & used some sub-standard parts surrounding the turbo itself (WG, DV). Probably all just knock-off parts. I’m planning to swap in my OEM stuff when it goes in (DV & N75, plus the aforementioned Forge WG).

KFahey

Ready to race!
I can’t take credit for the welds, but if you need yours welded in CT, I know where to send you.

Plenty of others run these turbos with minimal issues. Unfortunately, it seems like they added complexity where it wasn’t needed & used some sub-standard parts surrounding the turbo itself (WG, DV). Probably all just knock-off parts. I’m planning to swap in my OEM stuff when it goes in (DV & N75, plus the aforementioned Forge WG).
Is it sealed around the seem where the ring meets the turbo flange around the outside? I don't see weld there

redubbed

Ready to race!
Is it sealed around the seem where the ring meets the turbo flange around the outside? I don't see weld there

I didn’t bother with the ring. It’s welded directly to the compressor housing.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Just wanted to bump this thread as I bought an HPA KO4 and I keep hearing people saying the actuator on the HPA unit is 'weak' - can someone who has experienced this elaborate further? I was planning on purchasing a forge unit based on this research but I wanted a little more feedback before I do so.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Basically a "weak" wastegate actuator would cause low or inconsistent boost.

That part I got, I was just curious what they were running at the time (e30, meth, aggressive tuning, etc) that they would've had to replace the wastegate actuator to get what they were looking for.

Wasn't sure if it was weak because people were asking too much of it, or if it was more widespread of an issue