GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EBAY LED Tails Review

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Okay guys so i have been wanting to get LED tails for awhile now. But i have always hesitated and couldn't justify the price of OEM tails for me. So i bought some LED tail reps off eBay.

I paid 199.99 which included being shipped to me.
So here is a little review on the eBay tails for anyone else ballin' on a budget like me lol.

The shipping was rather quick i ordered them on the 11th they arrived today, the 18th. They were originally scheduled to come the 17th but FedEx really likes not delivering on time. (The estimates deliver when i ordered was the 19th.. so at least a day sooner than that). Still not bad at 1 full week.

I opened the box and unpacked a couple of the tails here in the office to make sure they looked good etc.

The next few photos will show how they came packaged.

The main box was in decent condition some scrapes and bumps but nothing un to common for shipping.

I liked that each piece of the tail lights were individually boxed and not just "loose" in the main box.

The lights were wrapped quite well in Bubble wrap, Foam wrap, and plastic wrap. (In that order).

The little things like the triple wrap and individual box instantly made me more comfortable with my purchase. You never truly know what you are getting on ebay.

Now for the lights. (I only took out the right side but you get the idea)

The outer tail

The inner Tail

They look amazing.. I can hardly hold my excitement to put them on the car.

Here are the backs of the lights with the resistors/LED adapter and new gaskets.

It looks like the have 3M double sided tape ready to go on the adapters/resistors which is a nice touch.

The only thing these lights did not come with were the reverse lights. This was stated in the listing and told to use your stock reverse bulbs. I went to advance auto and bought a new set of bulbs.

Ill be installing these in about an hour and half(when i leave work). Ill take in progress pics and comparison fitment pics for you guys. Those will go up tomorrow morning as i mainly use the forum while at work.

If you guys have any questions, comments, or likes/dislikes let me know :w00t:

Update 1/19/2018

So i installed the tail lights last night. It was pretty straight forward. I watched LastHumansGarage video on youtube and i mean its literally 2 bolts on each inside tail and a thumb screw on the outers. Super simple stuff. Install took me about 20-25 minutes on the first side and then 10 minutes on the other side. The first side took longer because i was going slow making sure i had it all set.

Ill tell you right now the fitment is not 100% its about 90% as good as stock. I could probably shave down the guides on the lights (think little plastic nubs) and get it to sit more flush but to be honest you cant notice it all. If you are more than 2-3 feet away it looks perfect. I have some close up pics that you can see below. That being said they fit in their place pretty easily and doesn't look to be bigger gaps than stock light.

One thing i noticed which was the only "disappointment" is the new gaskets 3 of them didnt have any sticky side so i just kinda aligned them and they got pressed down while installing, only one came with peel away sticky side. So if you are really concerned maybe go get some OEM gaskets to use. Oh and also the listing to me to re-use my stock reverse bulb as they were not included. The halogen 7440 bulb DOES NOT fit the new lights you need to use the euro 921 bulb size. It wasn't to big of a deal, as they are like $7.99 a pair, but wasn't super clear on the listing either that you needed to use the stock euro bulb and not your stock bulb.

Here is a comparison from stock to the LED just because.

and lights on.

A little closer look at the LED tail Its nice to see the white reverse lines matching up. It appears that seems to be an issue with a lot of the reps.

Here is a darker photo. The garage door was shut. These are pretty bright while on.

Here is a side pic(sorry for rotation imgur flipped it) You can see it just ever so slightly pokes out of the trunk where as the stock halogens sat flush/under the lip. To me this isnt a big deal but im sure some people will not like it.

Okay so i used the resistor boxes that came with them. The tape is not 3M like mentioned below it is just some double sided sticky tape.. The only place i had rattles (before i applied the tap and stuck it) were the inner tails on initial start up probably has to do with my exhaust being rather basey too. But i peeled and stuck it down this morning and it didnt rattle at all on my drive to work.

Next came the moment of truth on if i would need to code or not.

NOPE. Straight plug and play for me. Ive put about 15 miles on them with turn signals, reverse, braking etc(aka normal driving lol) and no bulb warning at all.

And for funs here is a final shot of the completed car. Now ill update this thread if i run into any issues with the tails burning out or getting moisture etc.

TLDR: The lights fit will, about 90% of stock. They are bright and easy to see, Everything worked as it should. No Bulb Out Warning.

Last edited:

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
Excited for you! Just so you know when I installed my reps they worked fine without the resistor, just got bulb out error. When I used the resistors some of the inner tail light leds would not work so I scrapped them and just codded the lights and all is good.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
My eBay tails had LEDs burn out after less than a year. Many have had the same experience. I loved them before that. Switched to a pair of Depos and they've been fine. Ultimately I wasted $200. Buy nice or buy twice.

Also, that tape that has a 3M on it is by no means 3M brand. It's Chinese tape with 3M printed on it. I initially used the fake 3M tape to stick the resistor boxes to the body behind the hatch carpet but found the resistors dangling a few months later. Luckily by that time I had VAGCOM and coded the tails so I didn't need resistors.

Of course, I wish you nothing but the best of luck and hope they last for you. Just wanted to throw out some caution.

Last edited:

gdub09

Ready to race!
Good luck! I can't justify spending $400 or so on the LED tails. I'd probably go the same route but reliability is my only concern. The cost of lighting for these cars is outrageous.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
go with the Depo LEDs and be done with. Other brands on Ebay is a luck of the draw. I've had the Depo's on mine for over 3yrs now with no issues.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Updated the first post with install pics and my overall impression of them.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Excited for you! Just so you know when I installed my reps they worked fine without the resistor, just got bulb out error. When I used the resistors some of the inner tail light leds would not work so I scrapped them and just codded the lights and all is good.
Mine have been fine. They flicker twice upon start up but everything turns on and is running well.

My eBay tails had LEDs burn out after less than a year. Many have had the same experience. I loved them before that. Switched to a pair of Depos and they've been fine. Ultimately I wasted $200. Buy nice or buy twice.

Also, that tape that has a 3M on it is by no means 3M brand. It's Chinese tape with 3M printed on it.

Of course, I wish you nothing but the best of luck and hope they last for you. Just wanted to throw out some caution.
I had a feeling it wasn't real 3M tape. The logo was separated to much etc. I hope these go well and we always know going cheap is risky but if i get a year or two out of these its not to bad imo.

Good luck! I can't justify spending $400 or so on the LED tails. I'd probably go the same route but reliability is my only concern. The cost of lighting for these cars is outrageous.
Yeah thats where i was and at the end of the day i just took the "risk" on the $200 ebay lights. They installed well and look great i guess we will just have to see if they last.

Coogie

Ready to race!
I’m with many of you. It’s way to difficult for me to justify the price of buying OEM. It’s not an issue of being able to afford it, I just cannot support that price point. It’s been between Depo and OEM for awhile, but have concerns that I’ll have issues with non-OEM. This is a want, not a need, so I won’t rush this decision.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion

If you source them out yourself you can get oem led tails new for 400-450. I managed to get new oem cherry leds with fog for 400 shipped piecing it together myself.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Outer tails can be fine-adjusted with the torx 10 screws that are inside the little holes. 2 per each tail.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
these are one of those mods where im sad that im sitting inside my car and dont get to see them while driving. Like yeah its cool to look at park but ughhh lol.

Ratoup

these are one of those mods where im sad that im sitting inside my car and dont get to see them while driving. Like yeah its cool to look at park but ughhh lol.

Hey. Some nice looking tail lights. Could you post the eBay link to those? Thinking of scooping some up.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

jon570

Ready to race!
I actually planned to purchase these tomorrow. Then i stumbled upon your thread. Nice packaging. Hope for the best out of them for you.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I actually planned to purchase these tomorrow. Then i stumbled upon your thread. Nice packaging. Hope for the best out of them for you.
no issues so far. I siwtched out the reverse bulbs to deautokey LED reverse bulbs which are a lot brighter.

Sylvania Silverstar on right and deautokey on left.