GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
GreyGti1990
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 Gti 4-door
Shifter Question

Hey all,

Quick question for you guys. I have the DG short shifter and a weighted shift knob and I'm not quite happy enough with it.

When I am in gear I am able to move the shifter to the left quite a bit but not so much to the right. What can I get to resolve this issue and have the shifter not move at all (left to right) when in gear?

Would the solid shifter bracket bushings solve this issue? Or is it a different part that maybe sits under the shift knob boot?

http://www.tyrolsport.com/engine/dri...-bushing-ssbb/

Thanks!
2011 4-door CSG 6-speed GTi - Sigma Six, Boost gauge, AWE TOP/CTS Throttle, APR Carbonio, Revo 2, GFB DV+,SB st3 Daily(485ft lbs), VWR FSB, DG Springs, WALK, Collar Kit, Fluidampr, APR downpipe, 225/45/17 PSS, Sparco Assetto Gara, Stoptech slotted rotors/pads, Uni Intercooler, BFI Knob, USP SS lines, ATE fluid, Beluga Cat-back, LED Tails, New Tensioner.
Soon to Come: Tints, R Bumper, Headlights, Pendulum Mount, Rear sway
GreyGti1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
It sounds like you need to adjust the shifter, I just installed one of these for a customer last week. You shouldn't have any play while in gear. The bracket bushings do completely make it solid though and feel great.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
Tony48
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
This issue appeared for me after recently re-aligning the shift cables. For that reason I believe this is an issue with the cable alignment at the cable end links.

Before you tighten the end link for the side to side cable you should press the cable back towards the firewall to "preload" the cable. The cable should slide slightly towards the firewall in relation to the end link. When I re-aligned mine I did this for the front-back but not side-side, hence the issue appeared.

Remember you have to home the transmission (small lever by clutch bleeder block) and shift knob (pin that holds the knob to the base assembly) before you re-align the cable. Watch the DIY videos on the Diesel Geek website. Good luck.

EDIT: I re-read and realized I have a slightly different problem than you. When in NEUTRAL I have very little/no tension when moving the shifter to the left, but good tension when moving to the right.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
GreyGti1990
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
It sounds like you need to adjust the shifter, I just installed one of these for a customer last week. You shouldn't have any play while in gear. The bracket bushings do completely make it solid though and feel great.
I've adjusted my shifter so many times. I will say that in 5th and 6th gear it stays in place and has no wiggle but 1-4 seem do wiggle.

I guess in preparation for spring i'll order some new bolts for the short shifter as mine are starting to strip and get these bracket bushings for good measure

I'm afraid to yet again adjust the shifter as the nuts/screws are starting to strip.

I guess I just don't understand how the short shifter works fully. Would that wiggle room in gear be caused by the screws on the brackets not being tightened enough? I did do the playing card trick for the gap that is supposed to be there after tightening the screws.
2011 4-door CSG 6-speed GTi - Sigma Six, Boost gauge, AWE TOP/CTS Throttle, APR Carbonio, Revo 2, GFB DV+,SB st3 Daily(485ft lbs), VWR FSB, DG Springs, WALK, Collar Kit, Fluidampr, APR downpipe, 225/45/17 PSS, Sparco Assetto Gara, Stoptech slotted rotors/pads, Uni Intercooler, BFI Knob, USP SS lines, ATE fluid, Beluga Cat-back, LED Tails, New Tensioner.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
GreyGti1990
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony48 View Post
This issue appeared for me after recently re-aligning the shift cables. For that reason I believe this is an issue with the cable alignment at the cable end links.

Before you tighten the end link for the side to side cable you should press the cable back towards the firewall to "preload" the cable. The cable should slide slightly towards the firewall in relation to the end link. When I re-aligned mine I did this for the front-back but not side-side, hence the issue appeared.

Remember you have to home the transmission (small lever by clutch bleeder block) and shift knob (pin that holds the knob to the base assembly) before you re-align the cable. Watch the DIY videos on the Diesel Geek website. Good luck.
Hmm I must be doing the adjustment wrong then. I've done it at least 3/4 times. I watch that video on youtube every time I do it lol. I always lock the transmission to home and pin the shifter inside the cabin. I guess practice will make perfect lol.

Anyone know where I can order a set of new screws/nuts for the brackets?
Old 01-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
Tony48
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGti1990 View Post
Anyone know where I can order a set of new screws/nuts for the brackets?
Just bring one of the current socket head cap screws and nuts to a hardware store and find replacements of the same size, preferably in stainless steel. Should only cost a couple bucks.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
GreyGti1990
FIA GT Newbie

Bare with me as Iím new to the short shifter game but I should note that one of the black plastic sections broke off of one of the arms I guess you would call it?

When looking down into the engine bay, the left part of the short shifter is what Iím talking about. The black piece that you retract towards the firewall when adjusting. That broke off but there is exposed metal underneath it so Iím not sure if it affects anything. Iím thinking itís just a guard??
Old 01-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
jay745
Mod Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGti1990 View Post
Bare with me as Iím new to the short shifter game but I should note that one of the black plastic sections broke off of one of the arms I guess you would call it?

When looking down into the engine bay, the left part of the short shifter is what Iím talking about. The black piece that you retract towards the firewall when adjusting. That broke off but there is exposed metal underneath it so Iím not sure if it affects anything. Iím thinking itís just a guard??
Can you get a pic?
Old 01-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #9
GreyGti1990
FIA GT Newbie

Iím using Tapatalk so Iím sorry if the picture is huge and rotated. See how the black piece is broken off of 1 of the arms? Should I be concerned?
Old 01-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #10
jay745
Mod Flanders

ah ok, no that doesn't look like it would affect anything. just the dust boot.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:30 PM   #11
GreyGti1990
FIA GT Newbie

Ah itís a dust boot, ok good to know. Iíll get some new screws/bolts and try to readjust again and see if it fixes the issue... if not Iím getting the bushings. I want this slop gone!
Old 02-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #12
GreyGti1990
FIA GT Newbie

Shifter Question

Yeaaa I really am not sure what Iím doing wrong. Iíve put the tranny in the home position and pinned the shifter inside the cabin.

All the clamping bolts are loose. I started with the front-back end link and lined the cable so the threads are all inside the end link. I then tightened down the first 2 clamping screws on the front-back.

I then moved to the side-side end link. I pushed the cable away from the end link and towards the fire wall as much as possible. I then tightened the first 2 clamping screws on the side-side. I took the tranny out of the home position and unpinned the shifter inside the cabin.

I cycled through the gears. Iíve got all of them. But when in each gear with the clutch let out all the way, the shifter wiggles from left to right pretty substantially. Some gears more than others. 3rd and 4th gear seem to be the worse ones.

Iíve tried re-aligning the side-side cable at least 4 times and Iím getting the same results every time. I really donít understand what Iím doing wrong. I just want the wiggle in the gears to go away lol

Last edited by GreyGti1990; 02-03-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:38 PM   #13
GreyGti1990
FIA GT Newbie

I'm beginning to think that its not the short shift kit at all. I think that its aligned just fine.

I'll check tomorrow but I think it may be the worn out shifter shaft bushings

https://www.dieselgeek.com/collectio...tta-new-beetle
Old 02-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #14
jay745
Mod Flanders

Have you checked the bracket that holds the cables to the trans? Those bushings get worn out too. 42DD makes bracket bushings for pretty cheap.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk