GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 01-29-2018, 01:34 PM   #15
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
steering rack bushing upgrade? another similar story here

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/white...ent-1567004424
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:37 PM   #16
bluesrocker137
Ready to race!

Drives: Tornado Red 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
Ah yes i know what you are talking about now, light long fast speed turns, like when the highway is curving, i get it real bad one way or the other. not all too bad around onramps, which i usually take at twice the posted limit

as far as the swaybar goes, i can see how having soft bar, soft (or worn out) mounts could lead to more play and bouncing around at speed.
Oh for sure. I've taken tight on ramps hard enough at speed to get the back end kicking out a bit and no vibrations at all then. I think I'm gonna talk to my shop tomorrow about getting the sway bar, end links, bushings, all that good stuff done.
bluesrocker137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:51 PM   #17
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Steering wheel shake at highway speeds

Iím going to say my guess here is that after looking into this a little that you both may have a front shock/strut issue on either one or both sides, itís also just occurred to me that I had a similar symptom on my old MK4 R32 when one of the front shocks had seized solid (yours arenít necessarily seized) which probably resulted in the other side skipping/bouncing! It may not be your issue but worth consideration, especially as you say the shaking is at all speeds which progressively gets worse.

EDIT: a VAG tuner friend of mine tells me if the car shakes at all speeds above 40mph then he would suspect bad shocks! Especially given the other things youíve replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Carlosfandango; 01-29-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #18
bluesrocker137
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
Iím going to say my guess here is that after looking into this a little that you both may have a front shock/strut issue on either one or both sides, itís also just occurred to me that I had a similar symptom on my old MK4 R32 when one of the front shocks had seized solid (yours arenít necessarily seized) which probably resulted in the other side skipping/bouncing! It may not be your issue but worth consideration, especially as you say the shaking is at all speeds which progressively gets worse.

I have noticed a good amount of squeaking from my shocks when going over speed bumps or other uneven surfaces at lower speeds. I suppose it's always a possibility that they could be going bad as well. Any ideas on how to check if the shocks/struts could be going bad? If it's something easy to do, I'll just do it on my own instead of paying a diagnostic fee from a shop.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:14 AM   #19
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesrocker137 View Post
I have noticed a good amount of squeaking from my shocks when going over speed bumps or other uneven surfaces at lower speeds. I suppose it's always a possibility that they could be going bad as well. Any ideas on how to check if the shocks/struts could be going bad? If it's something easy to do, I'll just do it on my own instead of paying a diagnostic fee from a shop.

Have you checked the subframe? It could be loose.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:08 PM   #20
bluesrocker137
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
Have you checked the subframe? It could be loose.

They subframe bolts have all been checked and torqued to spec, I insisted on that the first time I had this car at the current shop.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #21
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesrocker137 View Post
They subframe bolts have all been checked and torqued to spec, I insisted on that the first time I had this car at the current shop.

Yeah, I thought you would have, but as you mentioned squeaking at slow speeds I thought it was worth highlighting.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #22
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

^usually think that ties into the strut mounts, which i can't fully see allowing such extreme vibration but shiiiit you never know
Old 02-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #23
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
^usually think that ties into the strut mounts, which i can't fully see allowing such extreme vibration but shiiiit you never know

When my subframe was loose it sounded like an old wooden ship as well as the odd knocking sound! However lately Iím also getting slow speed squeaks from the top mount area along with a little bit of knocking but only at very slow speeds like when turning into a junction on a rough road canít pinpoint it though🤬, I donít have any shaking whatsoever though!

Old 02-01-2018, 11:59 PM   #24
bluesrocker137
Ready to race!

The longer it goes, the more I question the integrity of the entire suspensions in our cars. So many people have similar issues stemming from any variety of things, it seems like the whole thing is just teetering on the brink waiting for one little thing to go wrong. I drove on the highway for a bit today, and looking at this objectively, 55-70mph isn't THAT bad. If you didn't know anything about cars and/or didn't care about driving, you might not be that bothered by the shaking. It's more like a vibration felt in the steering wheel at that point. When you go anywhere near 80mph though, the steering wheel wants to shake itself out of your hands. I talked to another shop the other day, and (I'm not kidding here...) their solution was to "just go slower". If I didn't care about driving fast, I would've bought a regular Golf or any variety of econo-box made to get good gas mileage and be a mundane commuter car. I think my next course of action is to try one more shop to get a fresh set of eyes on the problem, my buddy has used a tuning shop about an hour and a half away from me in Maryland and had nothing good to say, but I might just be at the point where if they find nothing visibly wrong, I just need to sell the car and accept the fact that I'll be losing a decent portion of my last year's paycheck in the process...
Old 02-02-2018, 02:35 AM   #25
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Champion

Steering wheel shake at highway speeds

In my case I donít think thereís anything wrong with the suspension as such, Iím at 127000miles and the components are simply tired, the subframe was fixed with new Audi bolts and shims, and the top mount squeak/tapping (which in reality is very quiet) only happens at VERY slow speed since I had New lower control arms/bushes/ball joints on the front, i fitted new arb links as thatís what the tapping noise sounds like so itís not those, I simply think that as the other components are renewed and are back in spec and firm it has pulled the mounts/bearings back to their proper ďun settled/tiredĒ position where they are now the week link so to speak so itís probably just time for replacement due to normal use, my car is so very quiet and squeak/rattle free that I notice this minor noise and to be honest most wouldnít even hear it, I donít think there is a problem with the integrity of the suspension on these cars in general , thereís something simple causing your problem Iím sure, it could well be the hubs/bearings but itís so hard to diagnose an issue through the internet, maybe post up a video of the shaking as the speed increases.

Last edited by Carlosfandango; 02-02-2018 at 02:41 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #26
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

^ the top mounts can squeak due to cold weather too man... i know it sucks but seems to be the reality of it. Sailkote (sp?) helps address squeaky door deals and may also aid in that endeavor... dont sure if thats something you want 'lubed up' however.

Bluerocker, dont give up man! i'm kind of with you; it could even come down to some simple factory design where the geometry must not allow all stresspoints to work with eachother; like it's always counting on one or two bushings and other parts are not being utilized due to how it sits... i dunno but i'm with you, this is something we could be chasing our tails on forever. or, maybe you are almost at the brink of having a perfect car again.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #27
bluesrocker137
Ready to race!

That's what's bugging me here. There's no way I'm sinking several thousand more dollars into this car, but what if I'm only a few hundred away? Like I previously said, I think my best course of action at this point is to take it to another shop and see what they have to say. I trust my usual mechanic completely, but maybe it's just something he's not picking up on that another person would. Carlosfandango, I wish I had your luck lol. It's funny almost, you see people with GTI's who have racked up well over 100k and have next to no issues, and then you have people like myself who started seeing problems at well under half that mileage, or some people from factory showroom new even.

I hate the thought of moving on though, for the simple fact that I chose the GTI in the first place because it was the only hot hatch to offer a dual clutch auto as opposed to the traditional manual. I love driving manual as much as the next guy when I'm tearing up a backroad for the fun of it, but it kinda sucks when sitting in stop and go traffic on my commute from work. Plus these days a stickshift comes with the unfortunate problem of friends/girlfriends/family members possibly not being able to drive your car should they ever need to. But I digress, I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do here, however should I find some kind of solution I'll be sure to let y'all know!
Old 02-02-2018, 01:33 PM   #28
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Champion

I wouldnít say Iíve had no issues! Iíve had a complete NEW cylinder head, rear main, 3 PCVís, rear shocks and top mounts , 3 sets of drop links on the back, rear lower control arms, 2 water pumps, battery, front drop links, front lower control arms, ball joints, front wheel bearing hub, new tensioner(preventative measure), dual mass flywheel, clutch, radiator and some other minor bits and pieces, but the thing is many people would have driven around without doing most of this work without a second thought! At the end of the day it runs sweet and itís a great car in great condition, there will be lots of other cars out there that are in a much much worse shape and yes they havenít had the things done I have but thatís what makes mine a better car, at my mileage it not going to stay as New forever!

Tags
highway, shake, steering, vibration