GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
thatspsychotic
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '11 GTI 4DR DSG, '14 Forester XT
Rear Main Seal leak, other items to do while trans is separated from engine?

As title states, suspecting RMS leaking due to occasional oil spots on the ground coming from the driver side of the vehicle, and loss of about a quart of oil over 6k miles (145k miles on odometer).

If this is the confirmed cause (will get under the car to confirm when it's a little warmer out), are there other items (preventative/upgrades) that are good to do while the car is apart for the RMS replacement? Does the subframe have to be dropped, meaning adding the Tyrolsport Deadset kit would be synergistic? How much additional labor for adding LSD while trans is already lowered? is that even worth it with so many miles on the car?

Thoughts?
Present: APR Stage 1+ v2.4 | APR Carbonio | R8 Coils | GFB DV+ | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport Deadset | SuperPro Offset LCA Bushings | Enkei Raijin Gunmetal 18x8 et45 | Michelin PSS 245/35R18 | NewSouth Perf. Mech Boost Gauge

Future: ST Coilovers | Stratified Tuning | BFI Mounts | ECS Catch Can
thatspsychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
Tony48
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
-Make sure you get the newest revision OEM RMS (which has the seal flipped the opposite direction so oil pressure makes the seal tighter) or an upgraded seal such as the iAbed industries piece.
-Subframe does not have to be taken out to drop the trans, although some do because it gives more space.
-Can't help with LSD install cost although I believe it will be pricey.
-Thought about replacing your clutch while you're there? It add no extra labor.

Can't really think of anything else that you could tackle while you're doing the job except replacing the trans mount or dogbone mount. Perhaps remove your clutch bleeder restrictor piece or add a short shifter while you have those pieces off.

Last edited by Tony48; 01-29-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Tony48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:21 PM   #3
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: racecar kngikcuf a sti
I think it would be a good time to knock that out,deadset kit, as for the LSD...idk that is kind of up to you. You are looking at 800-1k at least for LSD w/ install at that point you might be looking to replace the clutch too which is at least another $350 for just another OEM clutch.
Eurodyne Tune • ECS Intake • RSR Clutch • Peloquin LSD • Fluidampr Crank Pulley• Neuspeed FMIC • Charge & Top Pipe • Turbosmart Thing • Dieselgeek Short Throw • Eurojet Catless DP • Vanguard Catback • R8 Coils • Bosch Plugs • 034 Street Density Trans/Motor Mounts • Advanti HY Hybris Black • Conti ExtremeContact • Mabotech m380h w/tune
bart2278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
Ik1015
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: mk5 ug
Question? After RMS replaced, does wheel alignment required?
Only Rear main seal job, Indy shop $800 + parts and Dealer quoted 1,090 w/ parts + TAX...in my area.....
Ik1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
Tony48
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ik1015 View Post
Question? After RMS replaced, does wheel alignment required?
Only Rear main seal job, Indy shop $800 + parts and Dealer quoted 1,090 w/ parts + TAX...in my area.....
Alignment not required. The only parts required are the RMS itself and silicon sealant. Parts will be less than $100. There are some bolts that are torque-to-yield and thus, should technically be replaced. However, most won't replace them their first time out.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:05 PM   #6
Ik1015
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: mk5 ug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony48 View Post
Alignment not required. The only parts required are the RMS itself and silicon sealant. Parts will be less than $100. There are some bolts that are torque-to-yield and thus, should technically be replaced. However, most won't replace them their first time out.
^Thanks^
Ik1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:06 PM   #7
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6
If i were you i would get the axle flange seals replaced. I did my clutch at 75k miles and one of the seals was leaking very slowly (didn't notice until the axle was off). Slowly but non the less, leaking.
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
Tony48
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans GTI View Post
If i were you i would get the axle flange seals replaced. I did my clutch at 75k miles and one of the seals was leaking very slowly (didn't notice until the axle was off). Slowly but non the less, leaking.
Yes, this is a good idea. When I did my clutch I realized that I should have done these seals while I had the trans out. Mine weren't leaking but they're cheap enough and easy to get to with the trans off the car.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #9
rawag77
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
1 or 2 of these?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ch/02m301189g/
rawag77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
Tony48
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawag77 View Post
Old 01-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #11
thatspsychotic
FIA GT Newbie

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm DSG so clutch replacement isn't an issue.

I've already had one axle replaced (twice actually) and I think I'm hearing some noise from the other axle. The axle flange seals would normally be replaced as part of replacing the entire axle yeah?

I'm also looking for a differential diagnosis on the oil leak. I'm also getting some creaking at low speeds including when the engine might be rocking, so possibly engine/trans mounts are failed/failing? Sounds like the OEM ones have oil in them so that might be causing the oil on the ground.

For me the LSD consideration is also one of mileage and what the future of my vehicle will be. It seems a bit late to put a brand new LSD into a 7 year old vehicle with 145k miles, unless I'm going to own this car for the rest of its life, and if that were the case it would have to stop being my daily driver at some point. ~$1500 or more for an LSD is an awful big commitment when I'm already considering dumping a pretty big pile of cash into the car fairly shortly (once tax return and bonus come in):
  • Struts are feeling pretty worn/bouncy so entry-level coilovers are going in, probably ST X ($800+install+corner balance)
  • Rear Sway Bar (~$250)
  • I backed slowly into something (turned into it actually) and crushed the side marker supports in the front bumper and left deep scratches, may replace front bumper (~$600 part+painted, ugh dumb)
  • RMS replacement (figure ~$1k incl. labor) if this is actually an issue
  • Tyrolsport deadset+bolts ($250ish, may be able to save on labor if done together with all this)
  • SuperPro LCA bushing set (~$250)
  • Trans/Engine mounts+APR Pendulum mount (>$600 parts alone, but shared labor with RMS if needed)
  • Cobb AP with Stratified tune ($700)

Thoughts? Should I bite the bullet and do the RMS proactively even if it isn't the sole cause of the leaks, but could be soon with this many miles?
Present: APR Stage 1+ v2.4 | APR Carbonio | R8 Coils | GFB DV+ | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport Deadset | SuperPro Offset LCA Bushings | Enkei Raijin Gunmetal 18x8 et45 | Michelin PSS 245/35R18 | NewSouth Perf. Mech Boost Gauge

Last edited by thatspsychotic; 01-30-2018 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Forgot Cobb AP
Old 01-30-2018, 01:59 PM   #12
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
If the rear main seal is leaking it would have been caused by a failed PCV, so check and replace that too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:02 PM   #13
thatspsychotic
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
If the rear main seal is leaking it would have been caused by a failed PCV, so check and replace that too!
For sure, but I did proactively replace the PCV maybe 30k miles ago or so, and don't have any other symptoms of failed PCV. I'm considering an APR catch can to mitigate crankcase pressurization risk though, but it's not as urgent as the other items on my list.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
^x2 from what i understand.

From what i've found researching LSD costs, it appears to cost around 1000 for labor. again, having the trans already out will be a factor in that of course, maybe another 500 to install one?

My PCV clogged recently (full and frozen catch can) and now i'm starting to see spots in my driveway... uhoh - might be in a similar boat to you lol
riceburner is online now   Reply With Quote