GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 02-04-2018, 07:02 AM   #1
Xapz

Drives:
DSG: Hard Downshift Clunk

Hey guys so let me give you a little back story first

I bought a 2010 MK6 GTI last year & I can’t lie I love the car, now keep in mind this is my first DSG & my first VW so stick with me.

So a year and a half go by & I start to notice a TERRIBLE clunking sound when changing from from P > D

I took it to my VW dealer and find out that the tranny is going bad. No flashing indicator yet, but with the terrible lurking, bad shifts etc: I knew I needed a new transmission.

Fast forward to last month: I finally got my NEW DSG put in (since we couldn’t find any used ones at the time)

Keep in mind before the new DSG came along / the first time I noticed the terrible clunking (with the old tranny) I always had the music seriously bumping, subs and all so any noise prior to this first discovery wasn’t noticed by me but I’m worried still even with this new DSG.

So here’s my question to you all who drive a MK6 or 7 DSG, is the hard “clunk” when downshifting from 2 > 1 “normal” I’ve read quite a few post talking about this but not sure if we’re talking about the same noise since others have described it maybe as a “pop” or “grind” sound but this happens I’d say 45-50% of the time (when coming to a hard stop or a sharp turn)

Should I be worried and have it checked again at a different dealer? I do have extended warranty for another 23K miles & I also have complete coverage on the tranny for another 10K

Toe, bearings, & sub-frame: all checked out to be normal spec: I couldn’t replicate sound for the tech when we went on a drive together yesterday and he also mentioned they DO have hard forced shifts when coming to a hard stop or downshifting quick from second to first gear..

Anyways what do you guys think?

(ONLY ECU DONE - APR)

Otherwise bone stock @ 126K

Last edited by Xapz; 02-04-2018 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Typo
Xapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
MTBFL1
Rally Car Champion

Drives: Stage II GTI
It's pretty normal to me. I assume what you're describing is that it feels like it's dropping into first, then the car shutters a little bit and engine brakes A LOT. If so that's totally normal

Flickr
MTBFL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
Xapz

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBFL1 View Post
It's pretty normal to me. I assume what you're describing is that it feels like it's dropping into first, then the car shutters a little bit and engine brakes A LOT. If so that's totally normal

I know the DSG has some delay especially dropping gears but is the noise that comes with that engagement normal? The forced clunk at fast turns or hard stopping sometimes, I can hear the transmission even with windows up when this does happen
Xapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
blower
Oval Newbie

Drives: Golf GT mk6 1.4 tsi DSG
I know the clunk you are referring too...and no its not normal for a new transmission. It is normal to find this sort of behavior when you have some serious miles on it but not for a new one.

The aforementioned engine braking from 2nd to 1st is not the clunk i think you are referring to...that should happen without a sharp sudden clunk, but can cause a bit of driveline vibration as the clutch is slipped in.

The clunking is known as a rough shift and is a common problem on aging clutch packs where the plates tend to stick or the mechatronics solenoids are sticking. I'm assuming a new clutch pack came with the new dsg box! - reusing the old clutch pack would certainly cause this sort of an issue.
blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
Hey did read whole post sorry but when going from p to d -ake sure you always do this:

When PARKING the car, put foot on brake and hold while going into park like always... Once in park, keep foot on brake and engage the ebrake before letting off the brake pedal. The issue with not using the ebrake is that if you let it roll back or whatever it rests on the gears while in park to remain stationary which causes a strain of some sort. I had the same issue and since I've been ebraking before parking haven't had ansingle clunk
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:12 PM   #6
whitewolf33
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 CW Wolfsburg
I dont ever downshift the DSG into first. Mine only drops into first when i get down to 5mph which is pretty much only when im coming to a stop. I downshift to second and let it go into first on its own
Old 02-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
Cbell3186
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2011 DSG
I would say its not a clunk. More of a rev match and then the engine slows the car down faster than usual when at higher RPMs. To echo what @riceburner said. When parking, always use the parking brake, especially on an incline. If I don't then in get a clunk when pulling the gear shifter out of P. On a side note, even in pretty spirited driving I rarely take a turn in first gear, always second. Maybe shake that habit and see if that is a little more "peace of mind" for you when putting the car through its paces.
Cbell3186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #8
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Yeah don't shift into 1st from second
Old 02-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #9
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
check all of the mounts, motor, trans and dogbone for any signs of wear or something. I've seen cracks in the trans near the dogbone that would cause these type of symptoms
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #10
DASVDUB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
Yeah don't shift into 1st from second
This, mine acts all fucking weird. Let itself shift down to first if need be.
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|Borla catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|Mud Flaps|Tiguan H&R lift springs (winter)
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
1ashchuckton
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Carbon Steel Grey DSG
I've not experienced a hard downshift into first. Although many years of driving old British cars without a syncro first gear have trained me not to do that. I will only drop into first if I am almost to a stop, but letting the DSG do that for me is better. 2nd works better for tight turns 1st is too darned low.
1ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #12
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
This, mine acts all fucking weird. Let itself shift down to first if need be.
x2 when i've accidentally shifted into 1st coming to a stop the trans kind of gives up and just goes into neutral or something lol.

Oh also want to side with others that takeoff's will be shaky usually. especially if on mounts
Old 02-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #13
DSGVW
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI DSG
What car did you drive prior to this? Just curious as VWs and GTIs especially are notorious for clunky downshifts with the DSG tranny. Granted I'm tuned and TCU (DSG) tuned as well but mine is clunky when slowing fast or slow and clatters a bit if you listen for it. Granted I've driven a MK6/MK5 for almost 10 years now straight so I'm immune to these noises, lol.

If you want super smooth downshifts when coming to a stop, drive in Manual mode and leave it in gear and don't downshift. If will only drop into lower gears when it absolutely has to and it's much smoother than D or S modes. Just FYI.
DSGVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #14
Jaber
Modero

Drives: 2013 GTI
When you're new to DSG and get it in the summer, you haven't experienced rough/hard shifts until you have driven it in the winter First 5minutes or so, you're like DAFAQ going on here.

But as you drive with DSG more and more, you start to get into the habit of being smooth with your inputs and avoiding certain things that can confuse the trans on what you want to do.

#TEAMMINIVAN - BBRT, Banana Bread Racing Team
Jaber is offline   Reply With Quote