GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 02-07-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
Ashwarawu
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 CW GTI
Motor Mount Refresh

Hey all. I just hit 100k miles and looking to get some refreshed parts in. Already picked up some lightly used shocks/struts from a forum member and now I'm trying to decide on motor/trans mounts. I'm running stock power but I'd really like to tighten up the drivetrain and get something that lasts (fingers crossed for 200k). I'm between 034 Street Density mounts, BFI stage 1, or just putting in new OEM mounts. Anyone have any preferences or long-term durability reviews to help me decide? Thanks and Cheers
Ashwarawu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #2
Mr_Dog
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 GLI
If it's just your daily, no plans to track or add performance then stick with OEM mounts. Aftermarket mounts are usually stiffer and will produce more cabin vibrations etc.
Mr_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #3
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
^ what he said.

If you want a slight upgrade in performance the 034 mounts are nice, mine didn't hold up very well when I started adding power though. I switched to bfi stage 2 mounts which are awesome and have held up very well, but the vibrations is enough to make some people crazy. Doesn't bother me though. The bfi stage 1 mounts are quite a bit tamer.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
Ashwarawu
Ready to race!

I've got the 034 billet insert right now, so some minor NHV increase is okay. But I'm sure there a fine line between passing and failing the wife test.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6
Your better off using OEM mounts and pairing them with a dog bone mount and a dog bone insert. Those 2 items will stiffen up the drive train.
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #6
Ashwarawu
Ready to race!

Okay, I guess I have no idea what brand new OEM mounts will feel like compared to me old busted one. Could be a huge difference!
Old 02-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
How long do those BFI mounts last? If it's the same material they were using years ago my dogbone mount ended up like this eventually...
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:36 PM   #8
Tony48
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
^ what he said.

If you want a slight upgrade in performance the 034 mounts are nice, mine didn't hold up very well when I started adding power though. I switched to bfi stage 2 mounts which are awesome and have held up very well, but the vibrations is enough to make some people crazy. Doesn't bother me though. The bfi stage 1 mounts are quite a bit tamer.
I don't mean to thread jack the OP but here it goes (hopefully this is helpful to OP):

Does anyone have direct experience with the 034 Street mounts VS BFI Stage 1 mounts?

I'd really like to know how they compare in terms of NVH and longevity. I'm stage 1, soon to be stage 2 if that matters, and worried that the BFI mounts will be too harsh for a DD. Obviously there is a ~$100 difference between the brands of mounts but that is mitigated when you consider that BFI includes new mounting hardware (OEM TTY bolts for 034 cost $60ish). Also worth noting is that you can buy BFI replacement inserts for engine & trans mounts for $100. Anyone?
Old 02-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #9
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony48 View Post
I don't mean to thread jack the OP but here it goes (hopefully this is helpful to OP):

Does anyone have direct experience with the 034 Street mounts VS BFI Stage 1 mounts?

I'd really like to know how they compare in terms of NVH and longevity. I'm stage 1, soon to be stage 2 if that matters, and worried that the BFI mounts will be too harsh for a DD. Obviously there is a ~$100 difference between the brands of mounts but that is mitigated when you consider that BFI includes new mounting hardware (OEM TTY bolts for 034 cost $60ish). Also worth noting is that you can buy BFI replacement inserts for engine & trans mounts for $100. Anyone?

I had 034 mounts for about a year and a half. In my opinion, they were good for the first 6 months and then started to get sloppy just like the oem's did after that. A buddy of mine has bfi stage 1 mounts and I drive his car semi regularly, the nvh is definitely more than 034 but it's not too bad at all.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:10 PM   #10
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '10 GTI
I've had 034 street density mounts for a couple of years now and they still feel tight. Engine is stock though, and I don't run the stickiest tires available. Subframe mount is stock and untouched, which I blame for any thrash. NVH isn't much, but it's just enough that you can tell the engine is running through the seat.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote