GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 02-08-2018, 03:03 AM   #1
Cj_Engrav
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI
GTI Starts Rough Idles Then Dies

Before I start I have seen the other posts on this topic, however they never really got a definite answer. So here I am posting another thread on this subject.

(2010 GTI All stock except COBB catback exhaust)

About 600 miles ago I cleaned the carbon off of my intake valves.
I started it and it rough idled and died.
So I went through and made sure that the intake piping was all connected.
Sure enough the Y pipe from my charge pipe to my throttle body was disconnected.
I then re-inserted the pipe and tightened the hose clamp. It ran fine both in town and on the highway.
Then about 2 weeks ago when the temperature here (Minnesota) dipped to the single digits, I attempted to start the car and it rough idled and died.
I thought it was maybe a MAF issue so I unplugged the MAF sensor and it seemed to start right up.
I then shut the car off and started it again and it ran just fine. As the temps have been pretty low lately it has been happening off and on.
Turns out unplugging the MAF doesn't do anything to let me start it.
I have realized though that if it gets a bit warm it will start right up and run fine.
This has never happened in my insulated only garage (Roughly 25F).
I will being going to my shop to completely take off the intake piping and re-attach the whole thing as to be 100% sure that the intake isn't the issue.
Are there any other parts I can check during the operation that may resolve my issue?

Last edited by Cj_Engrav; 02-08-2018 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Spacing
Cj_Engrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:43 AM   #2
Laimface
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '09 Candy White GTi 6MT
Did you use a new gasket when you reattached the intake manifold? Could be a massive air leak from there
Old 02-08-2018, 03:48 AM   #3
Cj_Engrav
Passed Driver's Ed

I didn't, but hindsight is 20/20. Ill pick one up when I head out to re-do the intake piping. I suppose that wouldn't throw a code would it?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #4
notovicrious
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTi 2.0T
Check hose from pcv to stage 2 portion of intake, hose from pcv to manifold and make sure manifold is ok. Original manifold?

Last edited by notovicrious; 02-08-2018 at 09:10 PM.
notovicrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
Cj_Engrav
Passed Driver's Ed

As far as I know everything is original, drivetrain wise. I'm going to go through everything I disconnected through my valve cleaning process. Including the pcv, hopefully that resolves the issue.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:51 AM   #6
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
I had this issue in the cold weather last winter, in my case it was low fuel pressure at start up, a new fuel filter solved the issue! The filters have a pressure regulator in them which had failed, if you change yours make sure itís rated at the correct BAR pressure, mine would also start fine when warmed up or if I tried it a second of third time when cold, once running the high pressure pump masks the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #7
Cj_Engrav
Passed Driver's Ed

Thanks a ton. 6.6 bar if I'm not mistaken. I'm on ECS right now getting oil and a filter, so I'll tack on the fuel filter as well.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #8
vermontmk6
Ready to race!

Drives: 2013 mk6
Off-topic but I would love to know what you feel about the cat-back setup. Curious why didn't you go turbo-back? What does it sound like compared to stock? Drone at highway speeds? I ask because I have COBB AP and intake arriving tomorrow, wondering if I can get away with adding new downpipe next and not have to replace everything turbo-back. Very few excellent clips on youtube with either cat-back or turbo-back audio that doesn't sound like it was recorded with a potato.
vermontmk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:11 AM   #9
Cj_Engrav
Passed Driver's Ed

I really like my cat back. It's very tame unless you want to be heard. I will be going with a downpipe in the future, but As of now I am happy.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #10
mraaf
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2011 MK6 GTI
Mine fixed 2 weeks ago after replacing fuel filter. It seems the internal pressure regulator is leaking internally, causing bleed-off pressure during priming.