GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe bolts stuck

PistolPeteGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I currently have a CTS catless downpipe that I am trying to replace with the stock one for emissions. I tried taking the bolts off but they are stuck. I went to a local exhaust shop and they said for a job like that It’d cost around $400. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I currently have a CTS catless downpipe that I am trying to replace with the stock one for emissions. I tried taking the bolts of but they are stuck. I went to a local exhaust shop and they said for a job like that I’d cost around $400. Any suggestions?
When I did mine it took a lot of heat, pb blaster, leverage, and a welder for the stud that snapped

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
Aerokroil....

pdan

Ready to race!
I ended up pretty much stripping the upper inner nut and almost gave up until my grandfather had an idea. Used one of those sockets with sorta teeth in it that clamp down as you turn, and a hammer to really wedge that sucker in there. Took a long time but did the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I ended up pretty much stripping the upper inner nut and almost gave up until my grandfather had an idea. Used one of those sockets with sorta teeth in it that clamp down as you turn, and a hammer to really wedge that sucker in there. Took a long time but did the trick

Before I did my turbo swap, i started spraying all the bolts about a week ahead of time, pb blaster stinks in a garage with the door closed, but imo it does the job better than anything else will.

pdan

Ready to race!
Before I did my turbo swap, i started spraying all the bolts about a week ahead of time, pb blaster stinks in a garage with the door closed, but imo it does the job better than anything else will.

Agreed that stuff does wonders

adema69

Ready to race!
When I did my ko4 I showered the shit out of all the down pipe and manifold bolts with pb blaster days in advanced.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
PB blaster and heat. I let my bolt soaks in PB for about 2 hours but they still snapped. Has to use a torch and pair of vice grips to get the old snapped bolts out.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
damn 400 is a bit redic. I took it to a local VW mechanic and he charged 1 hour of labor. $85.

10_white_gti

All mine came off sorta easy but the inner top once. I wire brushed the studs the best I could do that it wouldn’t seize up on the crud and flaky rust then hit them with PB. That top inner one took some work. It loosened up then started to seize up, tightened it back up more wire brushing and Pb. Then I had to loosen and tighten it up working it back and forth till I finally got it off.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
All mine came off sorta easy but the inner top once. I wire brushed the studs the best I could do that it wouldn’t seize up on the crud and flaky rust then hit them with PB. That top inner one took some work. It loosened up then started to seize up, tightened it back up more wire brushing and Pb. Then I had to loosen and tighten it up working it back and forth till I finally got it off.
thats one thing some people forget. if you start loosening and its getting tight just switch back to tightening and try again... not always best to force it.