GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 02-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #15
1ashchuckton
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI CSG-DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobst View Post
Remember, they drive your car into and out of the bay for work. Unless the shop lets you pull the car in and take it out yourself.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
This is true, but it's quite a different story when taking a customers car out for a joyride/road test after installing wheels & tires.
1ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:38 PM   #16
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCor View Post
Looking at that picture, my concern would be the damage to the passenger side A-pillar above the cowel...that is basically one big piece back to the rear quarter panel. Aside from a cut and weld, it would be a fairly significant repair to replace that alone. It's likely totaled.
Also just FYI, you have to have reasonable ground to start any litigation - its not just an open and shut case. You weren't driving, so you have no injury claim to make against anyone. You could only pursue suit if you feel that the insurance carrier is not treating you fairly, and that is a pretty hard case to make. Not sure what state you are in, but that also affects whether your insurance, or the Pep-Boys garage policy provides the primary coverage on this. I would assume it will be the garage policy though, which will have high limits, so no worries there. I work in claims clearly.
Gross negligence comes to mind. When he gave the car to the mechanic, it was a "bailment" The shop MUST return the car to you in the same condition it was received. This is a non-delectable duty. If another driver was at fault, the shop or their insurance can go after them.

You can hire an attorney and sue all parties involved. However, it would be a lot less expensive to the OP to allow his own Insurer to repair his car under his coverage. His insurer would most likely take the shop/shop's insurance company to arbitration at their expense, and would recover their payment and your deductible. Again, this is the cost free option.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:13 PM   #17
lukesGTI
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 6spd Manual Black 2DR
Location: 11581 www.lukekaminski.com http://luxgti.blogspot.com/
Looks like your front bumper support got kinked. Hopefully it didnt warp anything. Could be just an easy cosmetic fix
lukesGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #18
Verserk-MK6
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 CSG 4 door AB 6 speed GTI
This is painful, people wonder why i am such a pain if and when i bring my car into a shop.
Verserk-MK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:15 PM   #19
Jcarollo765
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic_Doggo View Post
So a few days ago, I took my car into Pep Bois to get a new set of wheels and tires installed. One of the employees took it on a test drive and got in an accident. No details yet, other than the fact that they'll be "handling it" with me and my insurance some time on Monday. Do you think this is totaled? I'm just curious. I really don't want to lose the car, I put over 3.5 grand in aftermarket parts for it, only to be possibly thrown away through no fault of my own. The airbag on the steering wheel was deployed.

I added a link to a picture, this is my first post and I couldn't figure out how to upload a picture the right way.
OMG I would have their heads on a stake!
Current Mods: APR K04 V3.2 & TCU V1.6//42DD DP//Unitronic Intake//H&R 26/24 Sways//Unibrace XB//SuperPro ALK//BSH Engine & Pendulum Mount//HPA 75a//Do88 Intercooler//H&R Cup Kit//Evo Boost Gauge//Soumatrix Speakers//BFI Stage 2 Tran Mount//GFB DV+//H&R 10/10 Spacers//Tyrol Brake Kit & Pads//Corgi Hair
Jcarollo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:16 PM   #20
gdub09
Autocross Champion

Drives: GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ashchuckton View Post
I have to disagree with you. At my ripe old age I have bought many sets of wheels & tires. NEVER once has anyone test driven my car. If they can't trust themselves to mount & balance correctly I sure wouldn't want them touching my car, but maybe that's just me. The crux of the problem is the type of shop that did the tire & wheel install. They may have done that part right, but the joyride or rather "test drive" lol if you prefer was where the crap hit the fan.

To the OP I hope this works out for you.
LOL joyride. GTI's are slow, sure they're quick and fun but I'm sure this tech was doing his job. Like most shops with common sense and INSURANCE, they'll cover it, this is why they have it. Does it suck? Yes but it happens. Install wheels, test drive it 2 miles and you're done. There's no reason to get upset over somebody doing their job and making sure you get home safely.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #21
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdub09 View Post
LOL joyride. GTI's are slow, sure they're quick and fun but I'm sure this tech was doing his job. Like most shops with common sense and INSURANCE, they'll cover it, this is why they have it. Does it suck? Yes but it happens. Install wheels, test drive it 2 miles and you're done. There's no reason to get upset over somebody doing their job and making sure you get home safely.
I dunno man... knew a bunch of BMW techs in my area who would "test drive" customers cars to the local chipotle for lunch. (Most of these cars were just in for oil changes or routine maintenance.. nothing that actually needed a test drive)

Then again who doesnt wanna take a 335, m5, m3 etc out for a quick spin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #22
dustbunny227
Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK6 UG GTI
Honestly that looks like it will come pretty close to being totaled. Its gonna be a close one. My wifes Corolla had 3500 in damage from a slight front end collision. all they did was replace a fender and a headlight and reshape the hood.
Instagram
dustbunny227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:39 PM   #23
CleanAsFckMk6
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2013 Mk6 GTI
Totaled?

Ugh hate to see this.. I feel like Iím looking at my car from 3 weeks ago.
Sorry to say but Iím almost positive itís going to be totaled.
A lady hit me and I ended up with very similar damage. My airbag didnít go off and the engine was untouched, but both my doors had damage.
Mine was a 2013 with under 40k miles. So yours being 3 years older and higher mileage obv doesnít help.
Itís hard to tell in the pic, but if thatís a bi-xenon headlight, then yeah itís very likely to be totaled.
Surprisingly mine ended up being almost 15k in damage, and about $1600 of that was just for the one headlight and all associated wiring/etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mk6 CW Gti - Eurodyne StageII - RSR Clutch Kit - Ultimate Racing TBE - Injen CAI - H&R UltraLows - UR RSB - Rotiform IND-Ts - DieselGeek SS - Eurojet Motor/Trans/Pendulum Mounts - Dark Cherry LED Tails - TDi Front Grill - RNS510 - TT-RS Brake Kit (Not yet Installed)
Looking for VCDS Coding? PM Me
CleanAsFckMk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #24
Atomic_Doggo

Drives: 2010 VW GTI w/DSG, 4 Dr
Update:
Thanks for all of the responses/advice everybody! Yep, it definitely is totaled, just got the call from my insurance rep today. Pep Boys is being shady about the situation, still no information from their end, not even a police report number... So we're working to get things sorted out.

Moral of the story: Never go to Pep Bois, they'll take your car for a test drive and you'll likely never get it back ��
Atomic_Doggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:25 PM   #25
dustbunny227
Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK6 UG GTI
That really sucks... but hopefully its a good enough pay out to get a nice replacement vehicle. Get yourself a nice Golf R
Instagram
dustbunny227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:38 PM   #26
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic_Doggo View Post
Update:
Thanks for all of the responses/advice everybody! Yep, it definitely is totaled, just got the call from my insurance rep today. Pep Boys is being shady about the situation, still no information from their end, not even a police report number... So we're working to get things sorted out.

Moral of the story: Never go to Pep Bois, they'll take your car for a test drive and you'll likely never get it back ��
Might be a prudent time to consult legal council and issue a letter to corporate.