GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 03-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
TiCoyote
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Did the roads get bumpier, or are my shocks going?

I'm suddenly noticing the bumps a lot more. It seems like the rear of the car is hitting small bumps harder and knocking me up and down. Overall, the ride seems less smooth. It's not a vibration, just hitting bumps harder.

I drive a 2012 GTI SE, stock. Right now I have winter tires on: 17" General Altimax Artic. They're on their 3rd season.

Also, this problem came on suddenly. I just noticed it yesterday and today.
TiCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
aj_law
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
Could be the shocks/struts, but I'd probably attribute it to what old man winter does to New England roads. Potholes are a bitch.

If you're seeing "normal" suspension response when you go over a manhole, for example, it's probably just the bad potholes. If a minor bump like that is hammering back at you, then it's probably your suspension.
('12 4DR/TR/6MT GTI - MEMBER OF THE 130K+ MILE CLUB) WISHLIST (bolded done...lol): Performance - Unitronic Stage 1 & CAI // Unibrace UB // DG springs // H&R 26FSB/22RSB // Tyrolsport Subframe Kit ||| Cosmetic - OZ Leggera HLT // Color matched markers/lip/rear emblem insert // OEM Black emblems // Depo Tinted LED tails // Raceseng Ashiko shift knob // 30% tint // Soundaktor delete
aj_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
BoostedVW11
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 2000 Saturn SC1
These cars are prone to shocks failing.

Put a bunch of weight in the rear so it sags, measure both sides. mine was visually lower in rear left by like an inch. Confirmed taking it off car recently it was blown.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
TiCoyote
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
I'm kind of thinking a failing rear shock. The car is due for service in 2 months. Can I put it off until then?

How do I know if there is some other, more dangerous problem?
TiCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #5
BoostedVW11
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 2000 Saturn SC1
youll be fine, i dove on mine for months . lots of people drive on blown shocks and dont even know/care.

if its blown it wont want to rebound thats why i say put weight in the rear. like 200 lbs