GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-06-2018, 11:29 PM   #1
edwardnese
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
How to test for bad PCV?

Hey guys i did some research and there seems to be multiple ways to test a bad PCV but i am still confused as to what signs to look for. So far i tested by:
  1. Start engine leave it idling, remove engine oil cap, engine starts sputtering and vibrating pretty hard.

Does this mean that my PCV is still good?
edwardnese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:54 AM   #2
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 black Wolfsburg
No one really has a clear cut answer on this imo. It's supposed to throw a code for multiple misfires... mine didn't, however, it is possible that the pcv is unable to handle elevated boost levels and not be "bad". IE. I had read a forum where a company tested several own pcv's (few years old now) and every one of them failed above 17 psi. Under normal boost conditions, I think it would be less of a problem.

I also just took mine off to check the diaphragm, which I found to no longer be just a thin piece of rubber, it was beefier, sort of looked like a piece of fiberglass or something? Perhaps bad example, but it looked woven.

Which version do you have?
GroceryGTIer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
edwardnese
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGTIer View Post
No one really has a clear cut answer on this imo. It's supposed to throw a code for multiple misfires... mine didn't, however, it is possible that the pcv is unable to handle elevated boost levels and not be "bad". IE. I had read a forum where a company tested several own pcv's (few years old now) and every one of them failed above 17 psi. Under normal boost conditions, I think it would be less of a problem.

I also just took mine off to check the diaphragm, which I found to no longer be just a thin piece of rubber, it was beefier, sort of looked like a piece of fiberglass or something? Perhaps bad example, but it looked woven.

Which version do you have?

I will check which version i have when later but the diaphragm you're talking about is the orange looking thing?

or is it the circular disc shape area

edwardnese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:50 PM   #4
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Yep, the top cylinder houses it.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Ive had a couple issues with my PCV. One time I had no symptoms except p0507 and slight surging idle. Pulling dipstick and oil cap caused it to run rough. The other time the diagraphm under the cap tore causingbig vacuum leak causing engine to shake violently and misfire on evey cylinder. There was so much vacuum it was very difficult to remove oil cap when car was running and you could feel lots of air being sucked through the breather hole on the side of the diagraphm cap.
BudgetPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
Ive had a couple issues with my PCV. One time I had no symptoms except p0507 and slight surging idle. Pulling dipstick and oil cap caused it to run rough. The other time the diagraphm under the cap tore causingbig vacuum leak causing engine to shake violently and misfire on evey cylinder. There was so much vacuum it was very difficult to remove oil cap when car was running and you could feel lots of air being sucked through the breather hole on the side of the diagraphm cap.
They are junk
Old 03-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: racecar kngikcuf a sti
I just want to jack this thread a bit, is it possible to throw an africa plate without the catch can to fix this problem?
Eurodyne Tune • ECS Intake • RSR Clutch • Peloquin LSD • Fluidampr Crank Pulley• Neuspeed FMIC • Charge & Top Pipe • Turbosmart Thing • Dieselgeek Short Throw • Eurojet Catless DP • Vanguard Catback • R8 Coils • Bosch Plugs • 034 Street Density Trans/Motor Mounts • Advanti HY Hybris Black • Conti ExtremeContact • Mabotech m380h w/tune
bart2278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart2278 View Post
I just want to jack this thread a bit, is it possible to throw an africa plate without the catch can to fix this problem?
Like the whole kit, or just the plate?
Old 03-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
corydd
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '10 CW GTI DSG Autobahn
Whatever you do, don't get a cheap Chinese knockoff replacement PCV. If you replace it, go OEM.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:16 PM   #10
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: racecar kngikcuf a sti
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGTIer View Post
Like the whole kit, or just the plate?
Have the plate, cap one hole and use the other hole to go back to the original intake hole.
Eurodyne Tune • ECS Intake • RSR Clutch • Peloquin LSD • Fluidampr Crank Pulley• Neuspeed FMIC • Charge & Top Pipe • Turbosmart Thing • Dieselgeek Short Throw • Eurojet Catless DP • Vanguard Catback • R8 Coils • Bosch Plugs • 034 Street Density Trans/Motor Mounts • Advanti HY Hybris Black • Conti ExtremeContact • Mabotech m380h w/tune
bart2278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:21 PM   #11
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart2278 View Post
Have the plate, cap one hole and use the other hole to go back to the original intake hole.
Hmmm, I'm not sure how that would go.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #12
QuitersLOSE14
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf Mk VI TDi, Shark Metallic
It's not the same, loose science of shaking and rattling. You can still do that. Watch this video though and you'll get some good "modern tech service" advice that actually applies to newer cars.

https://youtu.be/z9IG9GwKDrc

There's a company that makes adjustable ones, but they're primarily for V8's and would need special adapters for some cars. I think that company is M-E Wagner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuitersLOSE14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #13
QuitersLOSE14
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf Mk VI TDi, Shark Metallic
Honestly I'd cut it out and purchase a catch can though. You'll get true protection that way and easier and more reliable service intervals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuitersLOSE14 is offline   Reply With Quote