GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 01-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
swfloridamk6
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2010 CW MK6 Manual
MK6 Engine Bay Shave, Tucked, Cleaned Up

Purpose of this thread is to discuss, demonstrate, and show MK6s with engine bays that have been or inspire to be, shaved or tucked or generally cleaned up.

I understand there probably are not many who have done this yet on MK6 and it is much more common on older generations. MK6 also posses some unique challenges that earlier generations were not dealing with.

I also recognize there is already a thread on engine covers. That is fine, this thread is about going to the next level.

Please post ideas, pics, diys, tips, etc.

I am not the expert on this topic! I am stealing what I can from others and hoping to learn more from you all!

Converse, contribute.

Last edited by swfloridamk6; 01-22-2012 at 09:24 PM.
swfloridamk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
swfloridamk6
Formula 2 Driver

First post, I will give some information on the basic steps, I have researched, to get the thread going.

#1- Noise pipe delete
#2- Battery relocate
#2.5 Fuse box relocate
#3- Fluids bottles relocate

Once these three are done, you now have a fair amount of real estate cleaned up on the left and right side.

Example(with a ton of polishing, which we will cover later)

Last edited by swfloridamk6; 01-22-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
swfloridamk6
Formula 2 Driver

Battery Relocation: Most commonly moved to the rear hatch area. May also involve using a different type of battery. Can also save a good amount of weight with this mod. Generally, it seems folks go with a dry cell or gel cell type battery for trunk/hatch area uses. Can't go with a regular battery because they have a tendecy to vent hydrogen when in use or overuse and could be detrimental inside a trunk/hatch area.

Obviously this mean running some heavy gauge wire back to engine compartment. May often be done in conjunction with amplifier install.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
dsm1983
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: ...
swfloridamk6,
Glad to see that someone's open to conversing about this topic on a Mk6. I tried to initiate talks with a couple of forum members about it and they didn't seem interested really.
Anyways, so far I only know of two people that have begun shaving the bays in the Mk5/6 platform: Eurocars from GolfMkV.com and Issam from INA.
Anyways, here are some relatively basic things that you can do to clean up the engine bay somewhat. And in the end, these are things that you'd need to do anyways if you're going for a full shaved bay.
- P3 Digital Boost Gauge - rather than adding another wire/tube to your engine bay, this boost gauge simply connects to your OBD port.
- washer fluid reservoir delete
- SAI delete for CBFA vehicles
- A/C delete - you know you're committed to the end result if you take this step with your new vehicle...
- noise pipe delete
- swap to dual hood dampers rather than the single - subtle, but removes an extra unsightly tab from your engine bay
- battery relocate to trunk
More involved (obviously):
- fuse box relocate
- coolant ball delete or relocate
dsm1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
GeorgiaBII
FIA GT Champion

Drives: SOLD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm1983 View Post
- A/C delete - you know you're committed to the end result if you take this step with your new vehicle...
No way no how not in this lifetime!

A/C is the only thing that makes life possible in the deep south!
GeorgiaBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
swfloridamk6
Formula 2 Driver

^^thanks bud. Yes, I figured this would be a low interest thread, but none the less, there must be a few.

I want to hear more on the dual hood dampeners! I have toyed with this idea. First is the parts, but the bigger question I had was mounting. ?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
swfloridamk6
Formula 2 Driver

Polishing:

Stole this info from "The Prime Ministah" on Vortex:

================================================== =======
OK every now and again everyone wants to know how to polish. So I figured I would do a little Write up.
where you can buy Rouge (click Me)

Things you will need:
-Time
-Energy
-DA sander (dual action)
-Multi grits of sand paper.
-Water
-Polishing wheel
-Rouges (SP?)
-Hand polish
-Dremel (depends on what your working on)

Time/Energy:
Polishing takes a lot of time and effort. So if you are not willing to use that stop here. On the other hand polishing is really redundant and not hard to do.

DA Sander:
For those big flat open surfaces this will speed the process up a thousand fold. Like with a Intake manifold.

Multi grits of sand paper:
Here is the section where every one has a Different opinion on what grits to start with. Polishing in a technical way is using smaller scratches to take out Bigger scratches, until they get small enough to where it shines.
Grits I Use:
-80 for DA
-180 DA
-240 DA
-400 DA
-800 DA
-1200 DA
-1500 Wet Sand

Through your whole process of sanding make sure you clean it thoroughly between grits!

You don’t have to go through as many levels of Grits, but you will have to spend more time on the next grit up if you space them out more.
Make sure you get everything thing out in the beginning!!!
If you get done with 80 grit and there are still some pits or minor scratches, DO NOT THINK YOU WILL GET THEM OUT LATER. Get them out NOW. The more polished it gets the more they will stand out.

From there Work up the levels of grits, doing what you can with the DA and the rest by hand.
Note: ALWAYS sand in the longest direction of the “Item”
Note 2: I recoment rearing gloves other wise you might have some bloody finger tips. I just rear normal latex gloves

Wet Sanding:
Then it is time to wet sand. I usually will DA up to 1200-1500 then wet sand with 1500 after that. You can take your wet sanding up to 2000 if you would like, there would be no harm done.
I like to wet sand with WD-40. You can use water if you would like, though WD-40 makes things go smoother.

You put the sand paper and WD-40 into a Cup and let the paper soak in it. and dip it in the cup when your *Item* gets dry.

You do not have to FILL a cup or fully submerge the paper, just a smaller end of it. Enough to have it damp for use.
Note: ALWAYS sand in the longest direction of the “Item”

Polishing wheel:
There are a couple ways to go about this. Tools can be nice to have.
There are 3 possible ways to handle this that come to mind to me at the moment.
-Get an attachment for a Drill
-Get an Air Tool specific to Polishing (what I use) [Air compressor needed]
-If you have a Table Grinder, you can get a wheel for it that is for Polishing (most efficient but harder to use for those tight spots.

For your Polishing wheel you will need some Rouges, There are 2 main ones that I use, Red and Black. With rouges you can tell grit by color, the lighter the color the lighter the grit. So here you will apply the rouge to your polishing wheel ( spin polisher and press rouge into pad) then proceed to polish you “item”. Then when it all looks polished and your going WOW. Then take it up to the next rouge. Then you will get another WOW.

There is a 3rd rouge that you could use, and that is GREEN. This is a Fine Metals Polish. A little harder to find, but will bring out that extra luster. Repeat as stated above.

Note: do not use same pad for different Rouges. Each rouge needs its own pad, and use the cloth pads, not the foam.

Hand Polish:
This is for upkeep and cleaning. Get something like Mothers polish. Use a clean, dry, nonabrasive rag. One to apply and scrub. Another to clean off.
Note: ALWAYS polish in the longest direction of the “Item”

Dremel:
For those hard to get places. You can uses the stone wheels for sanding, and the cloth bits you can add some rouge to polish.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
swfloridamk6
Formula 2 Driver

Bump
Old 02-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
leiito
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 Golf GTI 2-door 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBII View Post
No way no how not in this lifetime!

A/C is the only thing that makes life possible in the deep south!
AMEN..
leiito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
GTI_likeurmom
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: Veyron 16.4
i saw a thread bout this on mk5.com, it seemed like allot of hacking wire harnesses the route that they went. im interested in seeing pics of this on a mk6. ive done this on a honda back in the day but that was easier.
I cut the tether off. When I get to the pump, I remove the cap and chuck it into the nearest bush, patch of trees, or some sort of wet lands. I pump gas. Then I spend anywhere from 5 to 165 minutes retrieving the cap. I screw it back on and drive away. I'm not letting it dangle against the paint and I don't know any better way.
GTI_likeurmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
swfloridamk6
Formula 2 Driver

yeah there is an mk6 thread on Vortex too now.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=5570404
Old 02-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
QuitersLOSE14
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf Mk VI TDi, Shark Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by swfloridamk6 View Post
First post, I will give some information on the basic steps, I have researched, to get the thread going.

#1- Noise pipe delete
#2- Battery relocate
#2.5 Fuse box relocate
#3- Fluids bottles relocate

Once these three are done, you now have a fair amount of real estate cleaned up on the left and right side.

Example(with a ton of polishing, which we will cover later)
Is this a Golf, or just one your put up to help people understand the concept?
QuitersLOSE14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
swfloridamk6
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitersLOSE14 View Post
Is this a Golf, or just one your put up to help people understand the concept?
MK4 I believe. Conceptual.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
dsm1983
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: ...
btw, I have a “passenger-side” intake for sale if anyone’s interested. it’s a great piece, made by Eurocars on the MkV forums. just a project that I never got to finish.
dsm1983 is offline   Reply With Quote