GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2018, 07:14 PM   #1
smanierre
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 457
Sean's Shadow Blue GTI

Just realized this section would be more fitting for a built thread than the technical section so i'm reposting here.

I decided to document the build of my 2011 GTI. I bought it bone stock besides a subwoofer with 90k miles. I'll update the main post as I do stuff, although it will be a rather long build since I don't have the biggest budget at the moment.

Engine:
42dd 3" Turboback exhaust no cat no resonator
GFB DV+
Unitronic DV Relocate
IE Intake
Cobb Accessport running Stage 2 OTS Tune
R8 Red top coil packs
034 Street Density Motor Mounts
iAbed Billet RMS
Unknown Brand Turbo Outlet Pipe
CTS Turbo Muffler Delete

Suspension/Handling:
TyrolSport Front Subframe Deadset Kit
TyrolSport Rear Subframe Deadset Kit

Transmission:
Spulen Short Shifter
42DD Solid Shifter End Links
42DD Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings
ECS Dogbone Mount
HPA 75a Red Puck
Delay Valve Deletes (Bleeder block and near Master Cylinder)
Stainless Steel Clutch Line
SouthBend Stage 2 Endurance
Peloquin LSD
Steel Shift Forks with Brass Inserts 1-4

Exterior:
DeAutoKey LED Foglights
Uro Tuning rear wiper delete
Osram Xenarc Black Edition Headlights
Depo Dark Cherry Tails w/ rear fog
Motegi Racing MR133 18x8.5et45
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s 255/35/R18
Stud Conversion
Gloss Black Rear Valance
Custom Gloss Black Diffuser

Interior:
JL Audio 10w6v2-D4
Alpine MWP-M500 Amp
DeAutoKey Interior LED kit with red Footwells
Soundaktor Delete


Pretty much the same as I bought it on the exterior besides the tails and slightly bigger exhaust tips.




Coming soon: Working towards full bolt ons.

Last edited by smanierre; 08-15-2018 at 09:01 AM.
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #2
smanierre
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 457
Just did a slight shave of the rear end. I'll post a better picture after hopefully washing it this weekend. I love the symmetrical look though without the wiper or GTI badge.

smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
smanierre
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 457
Just got my IE intake yesterday and got it put in. I replaced the Cobb one with it because the Cobb intake wasn't compatible with the eventual Unitronic DV relocate i'm gonna be getting, also a lot more noises from this intake than the Cobb one which I like. Really happy with the quality of the intake and the install wasn't too bad, although there were some small clearance issues near the turbo inlet with the stage 2 pipe and some metal lines.

Here's a pic of it in my filthy engine bay:


As a bonus, my gf's co-worker stopped by in this with a whopping 60 miles on it:
__________________
<<<Build Thread>>> <<<IG>>> Major Parts: 3" 42DD TBE | IE Intake | Cobb OTS Stage 2 | Indy 500s 255/35/18 | Motegi Racing MR-133 18x8.5et45 | SB Stage 2 Endurance | Peloquin LSD | GFB DV+ | Unitronic DV Relocate | Red Top Coils | 034 SD Engine/Transmission Mounts | HPA 75a Puck
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
AllStockMafia
Newbie
 
AllStockMafia's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4
Thinking of going bigger than K04 down the line?

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
AllStockMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #5
smanierre
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllStockMafia View Post
Thinking of going bigger than K04 down the line?

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
I've got some rather large plans down the line, not totally sure on the specifics yet but definitely BT.
__________________
<<<Build Thread>>> <<<IG>>> Major Parts: 3" 42DD TBE | IE Intake | Cobb OTS Stage 2 | Indy 500s 255/35/18 | Motegi Racing MR-133 18x8.5et45 | SB Stage 2 Endurance | Peloquin LSD | GFB DV+ | Unitronic DV Relocate | Red Top Coils | 034 SD Engine/Transmission Mounts | HPA 75a Puck
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:01 PM   #6
smanierre
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 457
After about a month of waiting, my headlights finally showed up from Germany. Installation wasn't too bad, only hard part was getting the tabs on the bottom of the lights to get into the channels on the car due to the ballasts. Love the way they look and while they were expensive, I think they are definitely worth it.

Parking Lights:


Low Beams:


DRLs:

__________________
<<<Build Thread>>> <<<IG>>> Major Parts: 3" 42DD TBE | IE Intake | Cobb OTS Stage 2 | Indy 500s 255/35/18 | Motegi Racing MR-133 18x8.5et45 | SB Stage 2 Endurance | Peloquin LSD | GFB DV+ | Unitronic DV Relocate | Red Top Coils | 034 SD Engine/Transmission Mounts | HPA 75a Puck
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
KITEWAGON
Autocross Newbie
 
Drives: 2014 JSW TDI 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by smanierre View Post
After about a month of waiting, my headlights finally showed up from Germany. Installation wasn't too bad, only hard part was getting the tabs on the bottom of the lights to get into the channels on the car due to the ballasts. Love the way they look and while they were expensive, I think they are definitely worth it.

Parking Lights:


Low Beams:


DRLs:

Awesome. I am definitely considering these lights. Please keep us updated on how you like them after using them. I keep waffling between these and the OEM HID retro-fit. My feeling is that the lights are probably higher quality with OEM, but the installation seems way more complicated. I like that these are made to be plug and play.

Where did you purchase from and how much if you don't mind me asking?
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:49 AM   #8
smanierre
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post
Awesome. I am definitely considering these lights. Please keep us updated on how you like them after using them. I keep waffling between these and the OEM HID retro-fit. My feeling is that the lights are probably higher quality with OEM, but the installation seems way more complicated. I like that these are made to be plug and play.

Where did you purchase from and how much if you don't mind me asking?
Yea, install was a breeze pretty much. Just the OEM plugs then one wire from each light going to the positive terminal to the battery. I got them during a special offer from a german company called MyTuning24 for $880 shipped. I have yet to use them at night but I think they will have good output, definitely better than the stock halogens.
__________________
<<<Build Thread>>> <<<IG>>> Major Parts: 3" 42DD TBE | IE Intake | Cobb OTS Stage 2 | Indy 500s 255/35/18 | Motegi Racing MR-133 18x8.5et45 | SB Stage 2 Endurance | Peloquin LSD | GFB DV+ | Unitronic DV Relocate | Red Top Coils | 034 SD Engine/Transmission Mounts | HPA 75a Puck
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #9
KITEWAGON
Autocross Newbie
 
Drives: 2014 JSW TDI 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by smanierre View Post
Yea, install was a breeze pretty much. Just the OEM plugs then one wire from each light going to the positive terminal to the battery. I got them during a special offer from a german company called MyTuning24 for $880 shipped. I have yet to use them at night but I think they will have good output, definitely better than the stock halogens.
Thanks. That kind of deal is what I need to push me off the fence. I think I'd pull the trigger and try them out for that price. Right now they are listed on that site at 800 euro which is like $935, plus whatever shipping costs.

I'll definitely stay tuned to hear how you like them. I've heard good things. The main negative has been that some report that they shake somewhat when going over bumps...and our roads are not very good around here. Plus at 25W vs. 35W for OEMs they won't be as bright, but probably good enough and a huge upgrade over halogen. Plus the DRL's really look great on this car. I like that they have an OEM style look...upgrading the MK6 to a MK7.5.

An no module changes, wiring, coding, etc is a huge plus. I've wasted way too much time on the interwebs just trying to figure out what I need for an OEM retrofit.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #10
smanierre
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post
Thanks. That kind of deal is what I need to push me off the fence. I think I'd pull the trigger and try them out for that price. Right now they are listed on that site at 800 euro which is like $935, plus whatever shipping costs.

I'll definitely stay tuned to hear how you like them. I've heard good things. The main negative has been that some report that they shake somewhat when going over bumps...and our roads are not very good around here. Plus at 25W vs. 35W for OEMs they won't be as bright, but probably good enough and a huge upgrade over halogen. Plus the DRL's really look great on this car. I like that they have an OEM style look...upgrading the MK6 to a MK7.5.

An no module changes, wiring, coding, etc is a huge plus. I've wasted way too much time on the interwebs just trying to figure out what I need for an OEM retrofit.
I'm gonna try to get some pics of the output tonight or tomorrow and post them up for a side by side with my halogens. If I didn't get this deal on them I wouldn't have gotten them and was just gonna go with OEM bi-xenons, would take a bit more effort but they still look great.
__________________
<<<Build Thread>>> <<<IG>>> Major Parts: 3" 42DD TBE | IE Intake | Cobb OTS Stage 2 | Indy 500s 255/35/18 | Motegi Racing MR-133 18x8.5et45 | SB Stage 2 Endurance | Peloquin LSD | GFB DV+ | Unitronic DV Relocate | Red Top Coils | 034 SD Engine/Transmission Mounts | HPA 75a Puck
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:26 PM   #11
smanierre
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 457
Just installed the rear subframe deadset kit from TyrolSport. Overall a really easy install, only hold up was snapping a cheap harbor freight extension. Could definitely tell the subframe wasn't in the same position once the collars were installed. Gonna try and get the front one in next weekend so i'm ready for an alignment once my wheels come in.
__________________
<<<Build Thread>>> <<<IG>>> Major Parts: 3" 42DD TBE | IE Intake | Cobb OTS Stage 2 | Indy 500s 255/35/18 | Motegi Racing MR-133 18x8.5et45 | SB Stage 2 Endurance | Peloquin LSD | GFB DV+ | Unitronic DV Relocate | Red Top Coils | 034 SD Engine/Transmission Mounts | HPA 75a Puck
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #12
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver
 
zrickety's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Qanon.pub
Posts: 5,087
Cool car...best color, 2 door, manual, nice mods. Keep it up!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs999 View Post
He's a real straight shooter, no monkey business, and the wheel swap at the Kohl's parking lot was quick and easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #13
smanierre
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 457
Thanks, clutch and lsd going in hopefully beginning of June then gonna start working towards stage 2, only being held back by money lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
Cool car...best color, 2 door, manual, nice mods. Keep it up!
Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
__________________
<<<Build Thread>>> <<<IG>>> Major Parts: 3" 42DD TBE | IE Intake | Cobb OTS Stage 2 | Indy 500s 255/35/18 | Motegi Racing MR-133 18x8.5et45 | SB Stage 2 Endurance | Peloquin LSD | GFB DV+ | Unitronic DV Relocate | Red Top Coils | 034 SD Engine/Transmission Mounts | HPA 75a Puck
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:48 PM   #14
smanierre
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 457
Just installed the front deadset kit from TyrolSport. Install went really smoothly and only took about an hour. Steering wheel shifted about 2 inches from its previous position so i'll definitely need an alignment, i'm gonna wait until I get my new wheels on though which should hopefully be the next week or two unless the shipping date gets pushed off again.
__________________
<<<Build Thread>>> <<<IG>>> Major Parts: 3" 42DD TBE | IE Intake | Cobb OTS Stage 2 | Indy 500s 255/35/18 | Motegi Racing MR-133 18x8.5et45 | SB Stage 2 Endurance | Peloquin LSD | GFB DV+ | Unitronic DV Relocate | Red Top Coils | 034 SD Engine/Transmission Mounts | HPA 75a Puck
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.