GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 04-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #323
Shep
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg GTI
Nice dealer! I checked my sunroof and it's still working. I'm going to try again with the battery disconnected and if that doesn't work then I'll run it to the fuse box.

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited by Shep; 04-17-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #324
Shep
Autocross Champion

Worked on this more and have determined that there is 12 volts at each t-tap and a good ground but when I put a spade connector on one tap the volts drop to 6 at each tap. Oh well, great DIY if you can get good power. Going to run it to the fuse box.

Always learning something new!

Thanks OP!
Old 05-02-2014, 03:04 AM   #325
Shep
Autocross Champion

Finally had time to get the mirror installed! Ran the wires down the A-pillar with no problems and not having to remove the cover or even loosen the torx bolt. Used 2 add-a-circuits and ran switched to the rear wiper motor and found a constant. I was so happy to see the green light come on and was easily able to program the homelink to my garage door opener. The mirror is working great!

Cheers
Old 05-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #326
titan253
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 TR GTI
So did you guys get just get the 40A or did you get the 40A with the VW/Audi adapter? The regular one is $209 and the VW one is $230
titan253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #327
Shep
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan253 View Post
So did you guys get just get the 40A or did you get the 40A with the VW/Audi adapter? The regular one is $209 and the VW one is $230
Mine is the 40A with the VW adapter. The adapter fit with no problems.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #328
titan253
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 TR GTI
Thanks!
titan253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #329
intoflatlines
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: Z4M, GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
Finally had time to get the mirror installed! Ran the wires down the A-pillar with no problems and not having to remove the cover or even loosen the torx bolt. Used 2 add-a-circuits and ran switched to the rear wiper motor and found a constant. I was so happy to see the green light come on and was easily able to program the homelink to my garage door opener. The mirror is working great!

Cheers
OCD guy checking in. You should have just taken the extra time to remove the A-pillar trim. If your airbag deploys it might get snagged on something, maybe even turning your mirror into a heavy high speed projectile. Removing the trim allows you to tie the wire behind the airbag nice and neatly. Glad to hear you got it working though!
Old 05-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #330
Shep
Autocross Champion

Thanks! I was able to get it behind the airbag into a slot. I went across the trim seam at the top of the pillar and down the weather stripping side of the A-pillar. I could pry the stripping away enough to see the airbag and move the wire out of it's way. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDo_..._prrNI--4Um0Ag
Old 03-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #331
Rosol
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: Mk6
Just wanted to say "thanks" to the Op. I wasn't to worried about the install because I used to install car stereos and LoJack for a living. All of his directions were spot on. I did have issues with the newer adaptor but after reading all the pages on here I got it figured out.
Rosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #332
jbcritch
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CSG MK6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosol View Post
Just wanted to say "thanks" to the Op. I wasn't to worried about the install because I used to install car stereos and LoJack for a living. All of his directions were spot on. I did have issues with the newer adaptor but after reading all the pages on here I got it figured out.

MY MOD THREAD: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12631
jbcritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #333
georgy
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
Anyone know where I can get the adapter from? Bought it from here and it does not quite fit:
http://www.brandmotion.com/vw-brass-...5000-vwab.html
georgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:45 AM   #334
intoflatlines
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: Z4M, GTI
Well I'm having issues with the latest version I bought. My old one fit fine with no issues. The one I have now is incredibly loose. Even if I take the adapter off and try to fit it into the mirror, there is no way that it will fit without wobble
The torx screw provided in the mirror is short and doesn't screw into or make contact with anything. WTF. Am I doing something wrong or overlooking something? Bracket was silver, but I painted it black

Old 05-01-2017, 09:18 AM   #335
Vroomtt
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Driver's Edition
Hi All, New to this forum and starting off be resurrecting this popular thread. Big thanks to the OP for posting this. I picked up the mirror along with the newer adapter and am having the same issue as the last post. I'm able to get the adapter onto the windshield button fully seated, but the mirror itself seems very loose on the adapter. The screw that came on the base(no extra provided with mine) is very short and does not even make contact anywhere. Also, once the base is seated on the adapter, the screw does not sit over the hole(where the extra plate was originally needed), it actually sits much lower. The base screw(if it was longer) would touch the tightening screw on the adapter?

Hopefully this makes sense to everyone. I've contacted the company I bought it from(via amazon) directly and am waiting to hear back. I may call them today too.
Vroomtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:25 PM   #336
Cal2000
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 13' GTI 4DR AUTOBAHN
I have the exact same issue. The updated bracket is mounted solid. However, the pointy torx screw in the mirror mount is very short and does make contact with anything.
Cal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote