GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'07 GTi vs '11 GTi

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
Hey guys, Im new to the board, just started reading it today and decided to register.

I am planning on purchasing a GTI within the next month or so.

Here is my dilemma, I am deciding between getting a used 2007 GTI or going and getting a brand new 2011 model.

There are quite a few 07 GTI's in some of the used car lots around town as well as thru private sale....I can get one for around 18,000 in very good condition with low mileage.

To get a brand new 2011 GTI from the dealership here will run me around 36,000 for the 4-door model and 35,000 for the 3-door...this is fully loaded with the upgraded Rim package and leather.

I have been racking my brain for the last 5-6 months on which route to go...I like the look of both models and I have driven both...and love them...any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Coopaloop

Passed Driver's Ed
if you love them both equally, i would just go with the cheaper option, the 07 is still a great car in my opinion, and both are almost exactly the same except for the styling difference

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
Do some research on the motor as they are completely different. The 07 has the FSI motor and the 11 has the TSI motor.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
instead of getting a fully loaded gti for 36k just get an r20. if you don't want the r20 well then the decision is up to you and if you want to spend more money or not.

IMO they're all great cars so you win no matter which one you choose.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Jesus effin christ 35k for a gti...
Ahhh no thanks

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
Jesus effin christ 35k for a gti...
Ahhh no thanks

Welcome to Canada where every car costs a lot more than the USA. A base GTI is near 29k... don't get me started on the Evo GSR which is a full 10k more than the states.:mad0259:

As for the OP, get the 2011. Well worth it, and while im not sure of exactly what is different in the engine, i know its torque band is a ton better than the previous MKV gen.

roksax

turbo lover
Yeah, his 35k isn't our 35k... things are just more expensive up in Canada.

First, just to clarify a few things:

Mark V GTI - 2006.5-2009
Mark VI GTI - 2010-Present
FSI Engine - 2006.5-2008
TSI Engine - 2008.5-Present

lalalaprise, they're both good cars. I've owned both generations of GTI. There are a few differences between them. The main difference is the engine. They're both rated at 200 hp but they're entirely different engines. The FSI GTI is notorious for cam follower issues... pretty much every FSI GTI will run into this issue eventually, so you'll have to keep an eye on that. They also have PCV issues and Diverter valve issues. These are all relatively cheap issues... you just have to keep your eye on em. The FSI also uses a timing belt while the TSI uses a chain, so the FSI will have that additional maintenance cost.

The TSI was completely redesigned, does not have cam follower issues, the PCV system has been upgraded and I believe the current edition DV is more robust as well. There haven't been significant problems with the engine, but it's still pretty new, so perhaps some problems will occur as they get older, but I hope not.

Other changes include the obvious interior & exterior changes, and that's all a matter of personal opinion. The MKVI GTIs also have the XDS differential system, which helps the car handle a little better in the corners.

If money's an issue, go with the 07, but be prepared to keep an eye on it for its issues. golfmkv.com has a lot more info on it as well.

Good luck with your car search!

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Lets see:
Used 07 GTI- (These are almost 100% common if you want to mod)
Fuel pump Failures
Cam follower failure
Wiring Harness issues
AC Pump Bearing failures
Broken Intake housing
DV failures
PCV Failures
Camshaft Failures

I'd definitely look for a 09+
The TSI motor hasnt had any issues.

EDIT: Roksax beat me to it. But you get the idea.
2008s are a little bit better with these issues, but still VERY common. A buddy of mine has a 2008 and hes already had to replace his cam follower twice, new Diverter Valve, camshaft revision, AC pump, and fuel pump. It only has 50K on it too.

McQueen77

Banned
Lets see:
Used 07 GTI- (These are almost 100% common if you want to mod)
Fuel pump Failures
Cam follower failure
Wiring Harness issues
AC Pump Bearing failures
Broken Intake housing
DV failures
PCV Failures
Camshaft Failures

I'd definitely look for a 09+
The TSI motor hasnt had any issues.

EDIT: Roksax beat me to it. But you get the idea.
2008s are a little bit better with these issues, but still VERY common. A buddy of mine has a 2008 and hes already had to replace his cam follower twice, new Diverter Valve, camshaft revision, AC pump, and fuel pump. It only has 50K on it too.

+1
pre '09 historically prone to more mechanical problems and failures. the used car is cheaper sure, but probably out of warranty, so all of these things could potentially happen which would put you way out of pocket and would make that new one look a whole lot sweeter.
on the flipside, buying one brand new is brutal because you'll take that large, instant depreciation hit.
i found a CPO used 2010 GTI with 9500 miles on it. Id try to go that route if I were you. and styling wise, the MkVs just dont compare to the MkVIs, especially with the interior.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
tough call...i was in the same boat when I was buying, I jumped on a 0% financing offer, which..just made sense when you did the math. but the price points were a little closer.

Personally, if you can get good financing, based on what I understand for FSI vs TSI might be worth it to do 2011, HOWEVER if you want to save a buck now, the 07 is a great option. I say flip a coin!

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
Thanks guys...money isnt really an issue, I just dont want to get hosed so to speak.

Plan on putting 10K down so my payments wont be that bad...

Thanks for the info on the FSI vs TSI engine...much appreciated.

I am leaning towards a 2 door Black 2011 GTi....i may opt not to get the 18 inch rim package for $975.00 and instead opt to buy aftermarket 18 inch rims with better rubber and use the 17 inch rims for winter tires or sell them seperatley on kijiji.

Anyone have tips for buying rims/rubber....any good sites that ship to Canada? Thanks.

McQueen77

Banned
well, you might want to stick with the 17s, get some aftermarket 18s, swap and see if you like them and can notice the difference. i haven't driven a gti with 17s and mine has the 18s. i dont know what the roads are like where you live, but the ride can be stiff and hard (thats what she said). i think the 18s look awesome, but the gti's stiff suspension and high profile 18s can make for a hard ride. just a thought.

roksax

turbo lover
Definitely stick with the 17s. They have a better ride, plus the VW 18's weight a ton, and you can always buy better ones later.