GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVI GTI Reliability!

Boo1

Ready to race!
Purchased my MKVI 6MT last April. 20k miles on it. No significant issues. Rear nozzle drip and b pillar wind noise are present, but they don't really bother me. No rattles and squeaks either, which Is impressive given the crappy New England roads that have been shaking the hell out of it all winter. Also did a 2 week road trip in it and it was flawless.

I absolutely love this car.

x_paradoxal_x

Ready to race!
I have had my GTI since mid Sept and so far no problems and I really enjoy it.
That said, I don't think any VW will be as reliable as a Honda/Acura.

There are always people who trash Japanese cars, extolling the virtues of 'German engineering'. Then all you here about is how Germans cannot seem to build a car that runs without squeaks and gremlins.

I find the GTI a lot of fun. I haven't driven an Acura but hear good things about them. I have driven Hondas and I would feel more secure running that for many years than a VW.

In the end, which is more important to you?

You make the best point: "In the end, which is more important to you?!" Will a honda/acura be as fun as a VW, no way. Will it be more reliable, probably. But also remember, a car only runs as well as its owner takes care of it. There are plenty of people who don't even check their oil or tyres, much less anything else. I had a mk6 tdi for two years and thrashed it quite a bit, never a single problem.

gtlloyd

I've now got 44K on mine. Bought it in December 2009 and immediately had the amp in the stereo die. Have not had any issues since then. The radio/nav system gets weird sometimes and I have to power off/on but that's it. It is still as tight as it was the day I brought it home. I do love this car.

j4juke

Ready to race!
I am trying to decide between GTI and Acura TL Type S. Reliability is important, but I will only keep for about 3 or 4 years so its not major.

For reliability go with the Acura. Friend of mine had a 2006 TL and it was very powerful and held up quite well. Get ready for immense torque steer though! Best 6spd gearbox in the business too.

fatih69

Ready to race!
gti reliability.

I recently bought a GTi Mk6 Adidas - it is currently on 1300kms And I have had no major problems with it (obviously not because its still fairly new) - However, as others have said in this thread, you do get the occasional leak on the back window & the waste gate does rattle on a certain rev range. In saying that, I LOVE the car. Looks great, everyone has big respect for it, handles great for a FWD, acceleration is good, DSG gearbox is AMAZING! as for reliability, it depends on how you drive it and how you look after it.

great car :)!

mideastbeast61

Almost time to buy the car.. can you guys please share some of your overall experiences with your car please (mostly dsg). I want to know I'm getting what I pay for. Thanks a lot.

kirahead

Ready to race!
dude, just go test drive one yourself and if possible, ask the sales guy if you can take it home for a day or 2

Cackalacka

Ready to race!
For reliability go with the Acura. Friend of mine had a 2006 TL and it was very powerful and held up quite well. Get ready for immense torque steer though! Best 6spd gearbox in the business too.

While I miss the gear-throws on a Honda, coming from a lifetime of solely driving Japanese, and two decades of solely driving Hondas, I really don't regret finding myself behind the GTI wheel. Perhaps I'll put a short-shift kit on someday, but I can deal with the extra inch.

Perhaps when Honda gets right again, and starts making a respectable hot hatch with rear independent suspension, like they did back in the day, I'll go back to the H-family. Looking at the current crop of CR-Zs and Acura beaks and V6 Venza-wannabe Accords, I ain't holding my breath. Nothing in Honda's stable can compare. Nothing. This ain't 1995 anymore.

Just under 17000 trouble-free miles. If you're like me and are wary about reliability, do what I did and get an extended warranty. Friends don't let friends drive around with Acura-beaks.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
The current crop of Acuras look like Parrot Fish:

Attachments

• parrotfish1.jpg
    parrotfish1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 313
  • parrotfish2.jpg
    parrotfish2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 3,361

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Sorry, wrong image came up for the second pic.