GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG flash? Revo vs HPA

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
DSG flash? Revo vs HPA vs Uni

Planing on getting the DSG flashed soon.

Read a lot on HPA's website about what they specifically do for the DSG but haven't seen much of anything about Revo or their specific details.

Anybody have it done yet?

Thanks!

Last edited:

DDGTI

Ready to race!
+1 for more info :thumbsup:.

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
HPA
I have there dsg tune and it's boss :p lol

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
I've been getting a lot of golfers PMing and asking me if I got my tunes yet. So might as well kick start this thread as I'm extremely bored at home and need something to do.

Well this afternoon I started my long ass drive to City Performance Center to meet Sam to get the readings for my car. Stupid me forgot that my car had the Stage 2+ bluefin tune on my car and Sam wasn't able to read my ECU cause bluefin blocked the info (Assuming they were protecting there software)

I didn't even think about this at all and thus didn't bring my Bluefin module so nothing from the ECU could of been done today! Grrr lol

So Sam read the files from my DSG and they will be ready to upload the DSG tune to my car tomorrow morning. Sam has been a awesome guy with this process and has gone out of his way to help me get the tune in my car as soon as possible. (for example calling HPA in canada at 4 am to see if I can get the ecu tune tomorrow morning.)

So I just loaded the stock settings back into my ECU and my god does my car suck! Haha
I reversed out the garage and my car stalled (running to lean I think haha)
Drove it around the block hitting a max of like 7-8 PSI was so fail haha.

So hopefully the plan is to wake up tomorrow at 6am and head up to meet Sam at City Performance Center at 8 and try to get my tunes done.

Will write a extensive review tomorrow if I get it done as I have a long drive home to test it out in many ways

Very excited and will keep you guys posted as promise

To the guys that want a before and after dyno sorry i can't do that cause i just dont' have time, im running heaps tight on time even for tomorrow.
Just Juggling between uni / work / car / gf, just no time for anything haha.
So sorry for those guys that wanted a Dyno comparison.
To me what is important is how the car feels and after driving my car for more than a year i will definitely notice if there is any difference in the way it drives/ accelerates / changes gears etc.
And that is what i will more be focusing on in my review

**Update 1**

Drove up this morning nice and early and arrived at CPC at 8 am on the dot.

1st thing is 1st) DARN BLUEFIN !!!! even when reverted back to stock. The ECU is blocked out.
This happens for basically all GIAC, APR etc. (They say you can revert it back to "Stock" but it is encrypted so basically you can't put another tune on the ECU.
Solution: Emailed Bluefin, considering i read my ECU with there device. And sent them the info to get a tune sent back.
I asked for the original files to be sent back to me so i can download them onto my device and load it back into my car.
And sometime when i can try to get the HPA tune loaded onto my car.

2nd thing)OMG !! DSG TUNE !!!
Everyone needs this ASAP !!!!!!!
This was a awesome mod. I know for a fact that anyone that drives there card hard (Like your meant to, especially on track days.) That the DSG in manual mode shifts up and down all over the joint when your cornering. Bogging your car down with 1/2 second delays etc, that just frankly should piss you off.
Well the solution is right here, Not only do you get super fast shifts. (Eg: Stock shifting is maybe 1/4-1/2 second now its like 1/10-1/8 second shifts)
It feels so sharp. Another good thing is our redline in the car we can actually use now haha. Realized how from factory once you hit redline the car will auto shift up in manual mode when strait acceleration to the ground?

Well double win here guys, You can use the redline now with a extra 1000 rpm from the tune !!! AND you shift up and down when you like when you please.

Overall Super pleased. and City Performance Center & Sam was a pleasure to work with. Friendly kind and care.

Will update on Launch control at 4750 rpm !! haven't tried it yet but will very soon

Kev

This is what I posted on another forum :)

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
HPA
I have there dsg tune and it's boss :p lol
Same here.
What's the real deal with the dsg flashes? Like I understand how they hold gears and increase limits, but what does this effectively do for you? How does it make the dsg better? I am just asking because the only things a read about them is that they are awesome... Any review that's a little more descriptive would be nice!

Thanks

Could you elaborate? I plan on an HPA tune but would love to hear more from an actual owner.

JP

This was a awesome mod. I know for a fact that anyone that drives there card hard (Like your meant to, especially on track days.) That the DSG in manual mode shifts up and down all over the joint when your cornering. Bogging your car down with 1/2 second delays etc, that just frankly should piss you off.
Well the solution is right here, Not only do you get super fast shifts. (Eg: Stock shifting is maybe 1/4-1/2 second now its like 1/10-1/8 second shifts)
It feels so sharp. Another good thing is our redline in the car we can actually use now haha. Realized how from factory once you hit redline the car will auto shift up in manual mode when strait acceleration to the ground?

Well double win here guys, You can use the redline now with a extra 1000 rpm from the tune !!! AND you shift up and down when you like when you please.

Will update on Launch control at 4750 rpm !! haven't tried it yet but will very soon
My experiences are very similar to Kevin. The HPA DSG flash basically smooths out the DSG's jerkiness, especially in S and Manual mode, and the shifts are now much quicker. When coming to a stop in M, the funkiness in 1st gear is now gone, and the car stops without causing your passengers to think that you're an idiot. It also feels like it's transmitting more torque to the ground, but that's hard to prove without back to back dynos. Well worth the money.

Much more usable on autocross and the track by being able to hit the rev limiter, and the true manual control means you don't have to worry about upshifts/downshifts from the computer messing up your commands.

Emillionaire90

Ready to race!
Wow that sounds awesome, definitely on the to do list at some point.

I always wanted the HPA tune, especially since they work almost exclusively with APR. It's almost like both tunes were meant to be used together for us DSG drivers.

Thanks for the reviews Kevin and Roastpuff.

tippah1

Ready to race!
I've been getting a lot of golfers PMing and asking me if I got my tunes yet. So might as well kick start this thread as I'm extremely bored at home and need something to do.

Well this afternoon I started my long ass drive to City Performance Center to meet Sam to get the readings for my car. Stupid me forgot that my car had the Stage 2+ bluefin tune on my car and Sam wasn't able to read my ECU cause bluefin blocked the info (Assuming they were protecting there software)

I didn't even think about this at all and thus didn't bring my Bluefin module so nothing from the ECU could of been done today! Grrr lol

So Sam read the files from my DSG and they will be ready to upload the DSG tune to my car tomorrow morning. Sam has been a awesome guy with this process and has gone out of his way to help me get the tune in my car as soon as possible. (for example calling HPA in canada at 4 am to see if I can get the ecu tune tomorrow morning.)

So I just loaded the stock settings back into my ECU and my god does my car suck! Haha
I reversed out the garage and my car stalled (running to lean I think haha)
Drove it around the block hitting a max of like 7-8 PSI was so fail haha.

So hopefully the plan is to wake up tomorrow at 6am and head up to meet Sam at City Performance Center at 8 and try to get my tunes done.

Will write a extensive review tomorrow if I get it done as I have a long drive home to test it out in many ways

Very excited and will keep you guys posted as promise

To the guys that want a before and after dyno sorry i can't do that cause i just dont' have time, im running heaps tight on time even for tomorrow.
Just Juggling between uni / work / car / gf, just no time for anything haha.
So sorry for those guys that wanted a Dyno comparison.
To me what is important is how the car feels and after driving my car for more than a year i will definitely notice if there is any difference in the way it drives/ accelerates / changes gears etc.
And that is what i will more be focusing on in my review

**Update 1**

Drove up this morning nice and early and arrived at CPC at 8 am on the dot.

1st thing is 1st) DARN BLUEFIN !!!! even when reverted back to stock. The ECU is blocked out.
This happens for basically all GIAC, APR etc. (They say you can revert it back to "Stock" but it is encrypted so basically you can't put another tune on the ECU.
Solution: Emailed Bluefin, considering i read my ECU with there device. And sent them the info to get a tune sent back.
I asked for the original files to be sent back to me so i can download them onto my device and load it back into my car.
And sometime when i can try to get the HPA tune loaded onto my car.

Overall Super pleased. and City Performance Center & Sam was a pleasure to work with. Friendly kind and care.

Kev

This is what I posted on another forum :)

Hey kev sounds good..... How much was the cost for this??

v6viking

Ready to race!
Hey kev sounds good..... How much was the cost for this??

+1 for this info.

Also, does the DSG Flash get uploaded in the same way as the ECU flash? (I'm not ready to pull the ECU yet, only 2k miles on the odometer.)

Thanks!!

-Matt

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
Should cost $899

The flash is done in the engine not under the steering wheel like normal ecu tunes :)

dbest6808

Ready to race!
Not trying to hate on the dsg flash but I have been told that once you flash the DSG your SOL with your warranty on the transmission.
Which is about $7000 if I remember correctly. My VW dealer is also APR and the service manager said what ever you mod, don't flash the DSG. If anything ever needs to be fixed your on your own more or less. Since there seems to still be a decent amount of issues with these transmissions,although way better than the older models, I'm way too paranoid to mess with it.

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Just received an PM from Chris, I thought Revo came out with their DSG flash for the '09 and newer cars. They are still working on the finishing touches on it but not quite ready for release yet.
My bad. Sorry.