GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Beside maybe poorer handling (which isnt a concern in winter) is there a reason not to 65instead of 55. I'm lucky enough to be spending the winter in north Jersey which may be pot hole capital of north east.

205/65 will be too big and mess up the speedo, and possibly rub as well... You want to stay within 3% of original diameter as said.

Stuart M

I must be missing something:
205/40/18 diameter = 537.2mm
205/65/16 diameter = 536.4mm
205/55/16 diameter = 516..4mm

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Best way to illustrate it:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,814

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
I can vouch that the Dunlop 3D's did a great job for me last winter. When are you guys planning on switching over. I'm thinking begining of November in Jersey.

techbiker

Passed Driver's Ed
Correct. When you minus size, you do less wheel and more tire to keep the diameter as close as possible to stock (within 3% of the original size).

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but if the outside diameter of the tire stays the same (or within 3% of original) then what is the point of going with a 16" wheel versus a 17" or 18"? :iono:

I thought the idea was that a smaller wheel diameter leads to a smaller footprint, but if the OD of the tire is the same then where does that smaller footprint come from?

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Forgive me if I'm missing something, but if the outside diameter of the tire stays the same (or within 3% of original) then what is the point of going with a 16" wheel versus a 17" or 18"? :iono:

I thought the idea was that a smaller wheel diameter leads to a smaller footprint, but if the OD of the tire is the same then where does that smaller footprint come from?

There are several benefits of minus sizing:

Less wheel gives you more sidewall for pothole protection.

Smaller diameter wheels are often narrower than their larger counterparts which will in turn allow for a narrower tire.

Lastly, the smaller sizes are usually more cost effective.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
2012 2dr GTI manual

We get a lot of snow and I live at a relatively high elevation on a dirt road, and drive on a lot of hills into work each day. So the 16" package sounds good, for the conditions. But we also have to put snows on in early November, and they stay on until late March or early April (yes, we've had accumulations later than that even) usually. I've never minus sized before but it seems that's the best bad weather choice--I'm just a tad worried that if it doesn't snow enough, I'll be driving a lot on dry pavement in crappy tires! Guess that's better than driving into a ditch in the snow, though.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
2012 2dr GTI manual

We get a lot of snow and I live at a relatively high elevation on a dirt road, and drive on a lot of hills into work each day. So the 16" package sounds good, for the conditions. But we also have to put snows on in early November, and they stay on until late March or early April (yes, we've had accumulations later than that even) usually. I've never minus sized before but it seems that's the best bad weather choice--I'm just a tad worried that if it doesn't snow enough, I'll be driving a lot on dry pavement in crappy tires! Guess that's better than driving into a ditch in the snow, though.

If you live in an area where you get significant accumulation or maybe the plow doesn't get there as early or often as it should, I would go with something like the Blizzak WS70 or Michelin X-Ice Xi2. Of the two, the Bridgestone would have the better winter traction (very close though) and the Michelin would be a little better handling on the dry roads (not as good as a performance winter tire, but better than the WS70).

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
If you live in an area where you get significant accumulation or maybe the plow doesn't get there as early or often as it should, I would go with something like the Blizzak WS70 or Michelin X-Ice Xi2. Of the two, the Bridgestone would have the better winter traction (very close though) and the Michelin would be a little better handling on the dry roads (not as good as a performance winter tire, but better than the WS70).

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Thanks; I have a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi2 tires used but one winter--but their for my old car, 225 45R18, dang it. They worked very well last winter on a Fusion Sport.

Tat1067

Passed Driver's Ed
Year: 2011
Make: VW
Model: GTI
Tires only or winter package: package

Two questions:
1) Must I go down to 16 in? I like the rim choices at 17 in better, and also wonder about any effects on mileage of going smaller.
2) Performance snows vs regular studless? My highway/city commute is usually plowed, though often badly. Unless it is a really bad winter, though, I'm much more likely to be dealing with cold and wet. Further, there is a good chance I may move to Denver while I own these tires, where it is either snowy or dry.

Was thinking moda md11's with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's. Do you like the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's better? The closeout version looks like a good deal. FWIW, my car is new as of July, and I will keep it at least 5 years.

RallyPunx

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently moved to Indianapolis, IN, and this is the first time I will be driving in snow. I drive 40 miles each way to work on 95% highways, which I was told are frequently plowed. My wife drives 4 miles each way to work on what we were told are frequently plowed roads. Since we just moved, I have no idea how much snow falls in Indianapolis, but my 40 mile commute is straight north, which gets (I was told) more snow than Indianapolis. Which package would you recommend for the vehicles below:

Mine
Tires only or winter package: Package

Wife
Year: 2009
Make: Nissan
Model Altima SL (which BTW, is not listed in your website)
Tires only or winter package: Package

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Tires only or winter package: package

Two questions:
1) Must I go down to 16 in? I like the rim choices at 17 in better, and also wonder about any effects on mileage of going smaller.
2) Performance snows vs regular studless? My highway/city commute is usually plowed, though often badly. Unless it is a really bad winter, though, I'm much more likely to be dealing with cold and wet. Further, there is a good chance I may move to Denver while I own these tires, where it is either snowy or dry.

Was thinking moda md11's with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's. Do you like the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's better? The closeout version looks like a good deal. FWIW, my car is new as of July, and I will keep it at least 5 years.
You don't have to go to 16", we're just advocating that because the wheels and tires tend to be cheaper, and it provides more "bite" than wider combos will. Mileage should actually be better with the smaller tires. ;)

I think you should be fine with either the PA3 or the WS3Ds either way - both are terrific tires. They won't handle 2-3 feet of snow, but then again neither will the GTI. ;)

At any rate, I doubt the tires will last 5 years, so you're going to have to get a second set after the 2nd or 3rd year depending on how much mileage you put on them.

Tat1067

Passed Driver's Ed
You don't have to go to 16", we're just advocating that because the wheels and tires tend to be cheaper, and it provides more "bite" than wider combos will. Mileage should actually be better with the smaller tires. ;)

I think you should be fine with either the PA3 or the WS3Ds either way - both are terrific tires. They won't handle 2-3 feet of snow, but then again neither will the GTI. ;)

At any rate, I doubt the tires will last 5 years, so you're going to have to get a second set after the 2nd or 3rd year depending on how much mileage you put on them.
Thanks, roastpuff. Yep, the 16's are cheaper, but since I will be wearing these rims for one third of the year every year, I want to like them. I wasn't enamored of the 16" wheel options on the site. The tires do correspondingly cost more, but not by enough when you figure it over their life to make that a deal breaker for me. Provided, that is, that the compromise in width and sidewall depth on the 17" doesn't make them unsuitable for my purposes!

These threads are great for folks who like to research the heck out of every purchase! But, hey, rims and tires are not only costly but they affect the safety and daily comfort of your ride.