Can you drive stick?

• Yes

Votes: 627 91.4%
  • No

Votes: 59 8.6%

• Total voters

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I tought myself to drive a stick by taking a 1986 VW Jetta diesel out on a test drive, I was 16 years old. I only killed it a few times and after driving it for a few miles, had it down without issues.

I've owned 16 cars - 8 were a MTX.

I have a DSG as I wanted to try the technology - couldn't be happeir with it. However, my perfect world would include two cars, ATX for my DD and a MTX for weekend runs.

jmdeis11

Ready to race!
My first car was a stick (an '85 nissan 300zx), and I taught myself how to drive and to drive a stick at the same time. It's an important skill to have.

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
Yep, learned on my first car out of high school, 2002 Toyota Echo. Despite it's lack of power (105hp), car was fun to drive because it was so light. Also got 40+ mpg on average :).

Was about to go stick shift with the GTI, but was so impressed with DSG that I decided go that route. My left foot still itches though :D

GiGi GTI

Ready to race!
Had to learn before I was allowed to have my license. My parents never wanted a guy to say he couldn't take me home and I don't know how to drive his car.

This is MY first stick though and I leared how to really drive it in a couple weeks after I bought it. So much more gratifying than automatic. : )

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
First car was a 1997 golf 5 speed when I was a senior in high school (2007), drove about 80,000 miles on it, then got my new shiny 6 speed gti :). Just turned 22 yesterday, but I still believe that it's a lost art that many people think that they can do but little possess the finesse.

Gjergj

Ready to race!
Learned it in Montenegro on a Zastava at the age of twelve. My first car 1993 Taurus SHO was a manual.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
I would have included the option, " I kinda learned once or twice - but stalled out like crazy/FAILED, then decided auto or DSG, etc, was easier/better for me", lol...

as well as maybe a, "long time stick driver, not an issue doing it, but have crazy traffic or a medical condition that prevents me from driving stick" - but I fear many would choose this as a way out! HAHA...

I have a crazy medical condition that makes it very difficult to drive stick sometimes, still won't stop me...and won't do so until it degenerates to the point where I physically cannot do so any longer.

McQueen77

Banned
So far so good, keep'm coming. Still, 100%... Something tells me the people who can't won't vote.. I've met a lot of younger people who simply don't know how. Who knows though.. Maybe those people don't drive a GTI?

I agree with Daniel though.. If I had two cars, I wouldn't mind one with DSG or a good automatic like the BMW steptronic, so I'd truly have the best of both worlds - one MT car and one automatic.

pdykstra600

Go Kart Champion
Really, 100% of the voters can drive stick? I don't believe it...

Anyway, I'm 25; I can and do drive a manual transmission. Learned on a 5-speed 2000 VW Jetta VR6 after I bought it, but couldn't yet drive it. It really didn't take that long. A little awkward getting into first gear at first, but sorted most of that out within a few hours.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Can I? Yes.

Is it fun in traffic? Hell no.

That's why I bought DSG.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I can drive stick and I bought a DSG powered car. The tech is just simply superior with the exception of a few lower MPGs.

McQueen77

Banned

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
I can drive stick and I bought a DSG powered car. The tech is just simply superior with the exception of a few lower MPGs.

Actually, the EPA rates DSG 3mpg higher.