GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 10-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #29
inc55
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2015 GTI Autobahn 4-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by 168 GTi View Post
Looks great, the euro cup holder is definitely one of my fave mods. IMO well worth the effort, and if you follow the DIY and take your time its not that difficult really. Although it depends on how much use you can get from the euro cup holder. Me personally I use it everyday as I keep my parking pass for work there.

Yeah, I was just chillin, taking it step by step and next thing you know the mod is done. I didn't cut myself like I usually do during mods, and now I have a cool cupholder which doesn't look like it costs $5. I'll say this again, it's a pretty simple mod.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #30
livefast
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI Manual
I want to do this, I really do, but I can't justify doing all this for a cup holder. And my Red Bull addiction would be really pissed off.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #31
floridabartaker
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI 4 door MT
Just finished the install - took me about 2 hours. The biggest problems for me were moving the center console enough to take off the screws holding the cup holder in place, similarly screwing in the new cup holder, and finally, lining up the side facias to screw them back in place. Cut myself a couple of place and my knee is sore from kneeling on the garage concrete (FYI, use something soft if you have to be on the floor for a while - I used a little buggie board).

I don't know what type of screwdriver everyone is using, but there are many places where space is really tight - I used a really small ratcheting screw driver - basically a ratchet that holds the bit at 90 degrees. A bit hard to hold a screw and use it, but all in all, it was lifesaver for me. Honestly, if I didn't have the cup holder sitting in my room for the past month, I wouldn't have done this DIY - a lot of effort involved. But now the interior looks really nice
floridabartaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #32
BrianWithGolf
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 UG Golf 2.5L 5dr-Sportline
Thumbs up for the great DIY been interested in the cup holder for a while since its pretty inexpensive but was never sure of what was needed to put it in

[IDUB] | My Car
BrianWithGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #33
ray ebz
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 Volkswagen GTI 6 speed manual
Where can I get the euro cupholder, although i'd miss the awesome redbull holder in the stock one
ray ebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #34
168 GTi
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 Gti 3dr DSG
I ordered mine from TMTuning, which included the rubber insert/mat thing. Received my cup holder in around 2 or so weeks... Unfortunately the same cannot be said about my Golf R tails I ordered from them
168 GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #35
lemarin
Rally Car Champion

Drives: Volkswagen Golf TDI 2010
Mine is ordered, for my B6 as well.

let the fun begins !

Thanks for the great DIY !
Chevrolet Camaro RS 1969 Daytona Yellow
lemarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #36
gtipwnz
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: CW MK6
This is why it's worth it for me
gtipwnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #37
gtipwnz

I'm trying to get the soft trim near the climate control out, so do I need to take the facia part with the circles on it after #14 out before I can take the rubber out?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #38
gtipwnz

I'm talking about the soft trim around the gear shifter, it is attached to the piece with the red circle on it.

Does the piece with the circle on it need to come off before the soft trim around the gear shifter?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #39
gtipwnz

Nevermind, got the soft trim out. Now I need to see how to get the whole cupholder piece over the e-brake. Any tips?
Old 10-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #40
inc55
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2015 GTI Autobahn 4-Door
pm sent
Old 10-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #41
floridabartaker
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI 4 door MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtipwnz View Post
Nevermind, got the soft trim out. Now I need to see how to get the whole cupholder piece over the e-brake. Any tips?
I wasn't able to get the part over the hand brake. What I did was bring the hand brake as far up as I could, which gave me enough clearance to feel the screw in the front of the cup holder (towards the dash), and remove it with my ratchet screwdriver. The screw towards the hand brake was easier. Sliding the new cup holder was a bit of a hassle, but not too bad.

Wrapping the hand brake with some cloth might be a good idea not to scratch it with the plastic trim. Best of luck!
floridabartaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #42
kimsballs
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI Manual United Gray
I can see paying $76 for the cup holder, and then a bit more for the rubber insert. But $50 for a plastic bottle opener is ridiculous.
kimsballs is offline   Reply With Quote