GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project Hella-Functional K04

Status
Not open for further replies.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Will be posting updates on VAGer.org. (It seems to be blocked on my work computer. Dont worry Bender!)

Introduction:
Again, I dont know why, but I love posting over here on the MK6 forums instead of the MKV. I was actually a member here before I was a member there, awaiting the launch of the MK6 in America. I believe I joined around June 2009 so theres not much I've missed lol. (Harddriven and Chucktaylor)

The vehicle was purchased back in July by a guy named Jed (User name: TheJakofallTrads). He was a huge supporter of the golfmkv forums and brought a lot of technical insight to the table. He found he couldnt keep spending the money on the car when he never drives it, so enter me. I flew up and met him in Baltimore and drove the car back home in the same day. And if I had the chance to do it again, I would without a shadow of a doubt.

My Mentality:
I frankly am not the one for all show and no go. I value the sleeper look and a very clean vehicle over all. Many would agree on the forums that there are just some basic essential modding they would do, and then call it a day. We all know theres higher priorities in life, but something happened in mine that allowed me to do such a thing.

I was the winner of the 2011 APR BBQ Stage 3 Raffle. I was stoked when I won, however as the days went by, I realized the underlying fact: I DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO SPEND ON SUPPORTING MODS. I talked it over with my wife and found a simple solution. I needed to talk to APR.

After a few emails and PMs to Arin, I asked him this simple question, "Could I swap Stage 3 for K04 and all supporting mods." A day went by and then arrived a very exciting PM:

"We can do K04, Stage 1 Carbonio, Downpipe, FMIC in exchange for the Stage 3 kit"

I was floored. I realized that I still needed to purchase the Stage 2 Carbonio, but that actually just happened as of Sunday through a seller in the classifieds :thumbsup:

So now here I sit. With 4 boxes of APR greatness sitting in my guest bedroom awaiting for install. I plan on installing each part one at a time. That way I know the effects of each modification. (I'm debating doing DP and K04 at the same time, that'll save me a trip to APR HQ)

Vehicle: 2008.5 TSI MKV BMP

Current Mods:

Performance
APR Stage 3 Raffle Winner Traded for K04+Supporting Mods
APR K04 V2.0
APR FMIC
APR Carbonio Intake Stage 1
APR Carbonio Intake Stage 2
APR Downpipe
APR Boost Tap
BFI Engine and Trans Mount
ECS DogBone Mount
Noise Pipe Delete (2011+ Pipe)
Rev D DV
APR Front Sway
APR Rear Sway
MK6 Driver Gear Springs (2DR DSG)
S3 Lower Control Arm Bushings
Hankook Ventus V12 Tires
Centric HP Rotors
Stoptech Street Performance Pads
USP SS Lines
Tyrol Caliper Bushings
Tyrol Rigid Collar Subframe Kit
Unibrace UB
Unibrace RB

Cosmetic
Nokya Yellow FTP and Fogs
AWE Boost Gauge
Detroits

Removed Modifications (This allows users to ask questions about pasts mods)
KDR TSI Grounding Kit
Neuspeed Sport Springs
Bilstein Sport Shocks
Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2s
Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R
BSH Truseal Intake Stage 1 and 2
AWE Boost Tap
AWE DV Relocate
ST Coilovers
Wolfsburg Front Grille and Fogs

If anyone sees something that is soon to be removed that they might consider purchasing feel free to PM me. I will consider you first when selling.

Thread will be continued..........

Attachments

• IMAG0479.jpg
    IMAG0479.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 604
  • IMAG0480.jpg
    IMAG0480.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 532
  • IMAG0481.jpg
    IMAG0481.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 583
  • IMAG0482.jpg
    IMAG0482.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 552
  • IMAG0483.jpg
    IMAG0483.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 451
  • IMAG0484.jpg
    IMAG0484.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 436
  • IMAG0485.jpg
    IMAG0485.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 427
  • IMAG0486.jpg
    IMAG0486.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 476
  • IMAG0487.jpg
    IMAG0487.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 472
  • IMAG0488.jpg
    IMAG0488.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 531
  • IMAG0489.jpg
    IMAG0489.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 496
  • IMAG0490.jpg
    IMAG0490.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 511
  • IMAG0492.jpg
    IMAG0492.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 599
  • IMAG0493.jpg
    IMAG0493.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 512
  • IMAG0494.jpg
    IMAG0494.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 446
  • IMAG0495.jpg
    IMAG0495.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 443
  • IMAG0496.jpg
    IMAG0496.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 458
  • IMAG0497.jpg
    IMAG0497.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:

NeedsMoar

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice! Can't say that I blame you at all.

Also in to hear your thoughts on the k04 - so far, that's my over-all plan... with water meth too.

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
Definitely the best choice to go the k04 route and saving a ton of cash money.

I look forward to seeing everything getting installed in excruciating detail ;)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Definitely the best choice to go the k04 route and saving a ton of cash money.

I look forward to seeing everything getting installed in excruciating detail ;)

Thanks!

It was going to cost me right at $3K for FMIC, Carbonio Stage 1, Midpipe, and install if I went the stage 3 route.

K04 install is MUCH easier and less inclusive, so I figured I swap and save the money, get the supporting mods, and install myself. I've read through the install DIYs for K04 and they seem much easier than what the Stage 3 install booklet had said. Its also much BIGGER of a compressor to fit in such a tiny engine bay.

Stage 3 = Free Kit + FMIC + Stage 1 Carbonio + Mid Pipe + Install ~$3K

K04 = Free Kit/FMIC/Stage 1 Carbonio/Downpipe/install + Stage 2 carbonio. ~$200

I'll turn around and sell the BSH intake and the extra stage 1 carbonio I have and probably make a profit.

P

plac

subscribed. always wanted a blow by blow personal install of a KO4 thread, since they wont release the install directions to everyone last time i checked.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
So APR let you trade the S3+ kit for the complete K04 Kit + Install?

FTW!

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
Thanks!

It was going to cost me right at $3K for FMIC, Carbonio Stage 1, Midpipe, and install if I went the stage 3 route.

K04 install is MUCH easier and less inclusive, so I figured I swap and save the money, get the supporting mods, and install myself. I've read through the install DIYs for K04 and they seem much easier than what the Stage 3 install booklet had said. Its also much BIGGER of a compressor to fit in such a tiny engine bay.

Stage 3 = Free Kit + FMIC + Stage 1 Carbonio + Mid Pipe + Install ~$3K

K04 = Free Kit/FMIC/Stage 1 Carbonio/Downpipe/install + Stage 2 carbonio. ~$200

I'll turn around and sell the BSH intake and the extra stage 1 carbonio I have and probably make a profit.

First dibs on APR 1 stage cabonio if price is resonable

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
So APR let you trade the S3+ kit for the complete K04 Kit + Install?

FTW!

Stage 3 kit no mods included exchanged for K04, downpipe, intercooler, carbonio, no install.

anyone care for me to make a K04 DIY?

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
Nice thread so far! Gotta say(not to start any crap) but very impressed with APR and how they have treated you.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Stage 3 kit no mods included exchanged for K04, downpipe, intercooler, carbonio, no install.

Ah, I see the no install thing now.

Reading > Me.

I'd still take that deal anyday!

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion

Absolutely, I may be doing this in the relatively near future and a DIY is always welcome, just replaced the front turbo on my brothers 335i and without a DIY there is a lot of guessing of what needs to be removed to gain access/etc.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Nice thread so far! Gotta say(not to start any crap) but very impressed with APR and how they have treated you.

I've ALWAYS said that APR has the best customer service. The fact they would ever do such a thing shows their willingness to help a member out. And it was SO organized as well. All I had to do was print a shipping label (At no cost to me because the package was about 69lbs) and put it in the mail. No questions asked or anything. I greatly appreciated that they could trust me.

Hell, all of this happened in a day. I asked Thursday, Arin got back to me on Friday, package was shipped Friday evening and got to me on Monday evening. TALK ABOUT QUICK TURN AROUND!!!

Whether it starts something or not, its definitely hard to miss. Arin and Evan are literally the faces of APR to the forums and they couldnt have picked better people to do it. They're hilarious and fun guys to be around.

I'd gladly choose APR over anyone no matter where I was located.

I'd still take that deal anyday!

Anything from APR that is FREE....I'll take! :thumbsup:

Absolutely, I may be doing this in the relatively near future and a DIY is always welcome, just replaced the front turbo on my brothers 335i and without a DIY there is a lot of guessing of what needs to be removed to gain access/etc.

I've been looking around and snooping out my engine bay, and honestly, there will be no need to pull the axle and pull the turbo from underneath. If you remove all the coolant and oil lines you can pull directly upward and get it out from there!

My main focus will be the tools needed for the install and any possible hurdles that need to be jumped to make it happen. If there is ANYTHING that anyone would like to see or pictures that need tobe taken, I'll will be more than happy to do so. Anything to help the community out.

I'm beginning to think that this will be an all going install meaning I will install everything at once, including the noise pipe delete with tiguan pipe.

P

plac

if i had a 3rd car for downtime, i would do a KO4. i dont want to be rushed if i was doing a job like that.

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
This is a win-win, you get an amazing kit, APR get's an active and driven enthusiast to carry out pages upon pages of their raffle and product.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
if i had a 3rd car for downtime, i would do a KO4. i dont want to be rushed if i was doing a job like that.

I agree. I want to take 2 days out of my time and just do it. I'm thinking 5-6 hours for K04 Intake and Downpipe and 3-4 hours FMIC. I need to drive to APR HQ as well the last day to get flashed. (2 hours there 1 hour flash 2 hours back)

This is a win-win, you get an amazing kit, APR get's an active and driven enthusiast to carry out pages upon pages of their raffle and product.

I agree. I'm so happy their customer service is top notch. :thumbsup: I would suggest ANYONE to them.

You can sell products but you cant sell quality customer service. The fact that APR has both is exponentially better. They're always punctual about answering emails and PMs (Just look at Halvie's Talks with Arin lol) and just are flat out nice people and dont insult your intelligence. I'm an engineer, I know alot about my car and they dont presume to lessen that mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.