GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Spark Plug Change

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I used this link as a reference (PICS ARE HERE): http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18676

I'm gonna use the pics from the DIY to keep users from having to jump across 2 forums. I believe this was done on an FSI, but the setup is very similar.

Tools Needed:

5/8" Spark Plug socket
Long Extension
Rachet
Zip Ties
New Spark Plugs (I used NGK Part Number: BKR7EIX. Dont use BKR7EIX-11 because they are not gapped for our vehicles!)

1) Remove Engine Cover

2) Unclip coil pack Harness

3) Pull Harness out of the way

4) Using zip ties, create your new Coil Pack Removal Tool and carefully remove coil packs. They're snug, but some wiggling around will unseat the rubber grommet.

5) Place your extension in the hole and make sure your socket is seated to the spark plug

6) Remove the Plugs (x4)

7) Install New Plugs (x4) Torque Spec: 30Nm

8) Re-install everything and inspect your work.

9) Beer

Last edited:

lon888

Ready to race!
You forgot something - anti-seize on the plug threads.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Not 100% needed but could definitely help. I didnt put much on mine. I'll probably go back and do so though.

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Holy shit thats easy. I may do this now just for fun. Our cars take platinum ngks?

lon888

Ready to race!
I never install them without it - the dissimilar metals thing makes me a little uneasy and also throw in some high temps. Cheap and easy insurance against galled or seized threads.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I never install them without it - the dissimilar metals thing makes me a little uneasy and also throw in some high temps. Cheap and easy insurance against galled or seized threads.

I got ya. I started to null about it it for a while and it dawned on me that I shouldve put some anti seize on there. I will be doing that today (Monday). Its such an easy uninstall/install that it shouldnt take but 30 minutes.

did you bother to mark your plugs to make sure that gap is facing the right direction?

Nope. I DID make sure I used the same coil packs for each cylinder, but that was about the extent. No issues. I was concerned at first, but come to find theres really no difference in how the spark ignites the fuel. If I'm not mistaken, the threads on the spark plug and head only allow for the plug to align one way. That would eliminate the need for it all together.

lon888

Ready to race!
I don't think you caught Benders sarcasm.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

lon888

Ready to race!
Sure, you can do it after an hour. Just really be sure to a. put on the antiseize b. don't tighten them up crazy tight. When installing plugs in a relatively hot engine I tighten them up about 1/2 to 3/4 turn after the washer makes contact. To answer your question - hot or cold it don't matter - just don't over tighten them on a hot motor.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
A couple things.

-That's an FSI, on FSI's I don't know why but we had issues with putting NGK's in a car that had Bosch plugs and vise versa, you had to use the same brand that came out or it would misfire under load.
-VW does not recommend anti-seize on plugs

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
A couple things.

-That's an FSI, on FSI's I don't know why but we had issues with putting NGK's in a car that had Bosch plugs and vise versa, you had to use the same brand that came out or it would misfire under load.
-VW does not recommend anti-seize on plugs

No problems on TSIs. I can confirm that. I figured it was an FSI. PCV setup was different looking. I just picked it from golfmkv.com

They dont recommend it? Interesting. I have no issues though if that matters.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
We have yet to see issues with plug brands on TSI's

As far as the anti sieze, realistically it doesn't matter. But when they ask you on one of the tests to get certified as a master tech the answer is VW does not want you to use it ;)